Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica
Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
US$55
Amazon Planet(Puerto Maldonado)
US$279
Refugio Amazonas(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
Wasai Maldonado Eco Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Pool
Monte Amazonico Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Pool
Sotupa Eco House(Puerto Maldonado)
Ecoamaziona Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
All reviewslake valenciacanopy walklake sandovalpiranha fishingplunge poollunch menuadditional costbutterfly houseminute boat ridethree nightslaundry servicecanopy tourriver viewnight walkamazon experienceceiling fanmosquito netting
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just getting to this lodge is a bit of an adventure.. Fly to Puerto Maldonado bus...then boat ride on the river...Once there, you are treated a bit like Jungle Royalty. All food and most activities are included. Rooms, for the location are top notch. Electricity is available most of the day. Sure there are no TVs, Radios, Cell Phone Receptions etc. But really if these are top of mind as important when visiting the Amazon, I suggest just going to a Zoo and maybe visit a flower shop. You are definitely in the Jungle here. They did break out the TV for everyone to watch the World Cup final which was very nice.

Our Family of 5 stayed for 4 nights and did nearly every trip offered by the lodge including the Piranha fishing and likely due to our amazing guide Paul we had a blast. They wake you up at the crack of dawn (which isnt too bad considering you will fall asleep early here), and put you on canoes to begin your exploration.

Regarding Animals, while were were there, there were in fact many groups who were bummed that they didnt see much. However, we saw over 57 species including Monkeys (Squirrel, Capuchin, Saddleback Tamarins, Red Howlers, Night Monkey), Sloths (more than 4), Tapir, Deer, Giant River Otters, Bushy Tail Squirrel, Tons of Caiman - Black, White, Speckled, More Birds (Macaw, Parakeet, Owls) and insects than I could even write here. So I think the guide and luck matters a lot. The only snakes we saw was a dead (thankfully) Fer de lance.

Food was really very good, breakfasts were usually a bit rushed as you were running to get to the boat but quality offerings including eggs to order. Lunches are a single menu but had great offerings (Try the fish sandwich). Dinners rotate every 4 nights so always something new to choose and again really good.

One note, we stayed 4 nights which I think is perfect. It allowed us to do everything they had to offer and add the fishing trip (not to be missed). Many people stayed only 2 or 3 nights. Considering your night is just getting there, this may limit the adventure too much. Consider 4 if possible. Don't let the activity thing overwhelm you. While they do put you in a room and tell you the offerings, you are in no way forced to pick everything at once. Just tell them what you want to do the next day. Our activities looked like this:

Day 1 Arrival Night - Night Boat
Day 2 - Lake Sandoval, Canopy Tour, Night Walk
Day 3 - Lake Valencia Fishing Expedition - our boat caught 75 Piranha
Day 4 - Creek and Hacienda Concepcion Night Boat

This place is really special. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as we did. Paul was the best!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank execplatscum
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive description of your stay with us. We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your experience at Inkaterra, and hope to welcome you again in a next opportunity.

Thank you for staying at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

wow! WOW! This place is top notch! We enjoyed all the tours, especially Lake Sandoval and the canopy tours! I have no words to really describe how amazing my time was here. Beautiful location, fantastic staff, tour guides are incredibly knowledgeable. I really felt like I was at a world class hotel. Our room was a decent size for the two of us. Food and drinks were amazing. We really wanted to live here forever :)

Room Tip: They have rooms available in the main house as well as individual cabins. If you're looking for some romance, go with the cabins. If you're traveling with a friend, the rooms in the main house will suit your needs nicely!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind comments for our property and service.

Thank you for staying at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights, travelling solo, and my idea from the start was to go on tours in the morning and have the afternoon to relax in my hammock. And that's exactly what I did, mostly. I was originally put into a group with other newly-arrived, but when I found the itinerary didn't suit me I chose my own, which is usually possible as there are plenty of guides. I had Valeria for two of my excursions, she was the only female guide, and she was excellent. On the recommendation of others I did one day tour, and that was the one that included piranha-fishing and for which you had to pay extra. But it was totally worth it, even if you are not into fishing.

I found my cabana very spacious and well-equipped, although it could get very hot in the afternoon, and with the electricity turned off and the fan not working as a consequence even relaxing became an ordeal at times. Toilet and shower were separate, I liked the whistle in the toilet but fortunately I never had to use it. I also liked the bathroom amenities, especially the citronella for use as natural insect repellant. The water in the shower was always hot, and it was nice to be able to look outside while having your shower. In the evening staff would prepare the room for the night, which meant that the mosquito net was drawn and three lanterns were placed strategically so that you could find your way around in the dark. You were also provided with torches, and for the downpours with umbrellas. Each night they also left a rolled-up piece of paper with a proverb or similar on your bed - I think I would have preferred some lollies instead.

I did find the breakfast a bit poor, although they will make you any style of egg on request. Lunch and dinner on the other hand were excellent, and staff were very attentive. There was a kind of Happy Hour, but it only seemed to apply to pisco sour, and two of these for one person might not be advisable.

Would I stay again? Most definitely. Although I suspect that once you have seen the highlights of the area there is really no reason to return as there are so many other locations in the Amazon region that are worth exploring. The question is whether it can be done in the same comfort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank lutzy
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is a wonderful place to spend time near the jungle but still have comfort. All the staff was friendly and helpful. The tours were also very fun. I recommend going to Lake Sandoval, it is a bit of a trek but worth it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fitchmallon
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel has wonderful staff, very helpful and courteous. Upon arrival you are given a booklet with all hotel information. It's all inclusive hotel price - full board and many selection of tours. The guide that my group had, Ivan, is very knowledgeable and wonderful. I have no complaints about the hotel, staff and services. I think when you offer a tour to see animals in the wild, the risk is always there for you not to spot anything at all. So, I can't complain if we didn't see much during the tours.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo