Amazon Planet
Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
US$55
La Torre Valsai(Puerto Maldonado)
US$40
  • Restaurant
Hotel Puerto Amazonico(Puerto Maldonado)
US$53
D"Milez Hotel(Puerto Maldonado)(Great Value!)
US$48
La Torre Inn(Puerto Maldonado)
US$38
Hotel Centenario(Puerto Maldonado)
US$57
  • Bar/Lounge
Sandoval Lake Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
No availability for your dates from our partners
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    • Pool
    • Restaurant
    All reviewsanimal rescue centreanimal reservecanopy walkthe rivercaiman searchnight walkbamba experiencelake tripgreat food and wonderful staffconservation centerhot watereco lodgethe sun setsmall porchred eyesgreat experienceeach meal
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 23 May 2014

For those looking to go to the amazon and experience all it has to offer this is the way to do it. Affordably priced, with five star cooking of breakfast, lunch, and dinner-all included.
    The Amazon Staff are great and do everything they can to make sure you have a memorable time!!!
    The amazon itself was amazing and my girlfriend and I highly recommend staying the four day three night!!! Honestly this was one of the best parts of our trip to Peru. James-the boss- is unbelievably awesome and very helpful. Our Guide Yessie was amazing too!
    Amazon planet also has a little shop there for food, drinks, and or supplies. Supplies needed: bug spray, suntan lotion, snacks, water, comfortable clothes for walking and maybe a jacket. First day we did a guided night tour of the forest, Second day tree top canopy, then animals, and then went into the boat at night to go caiman catching. Third day met natives, then fished for piranhas, and then rafted down the river. Fourth day had breakfast, relaxed and then went home.
    Not going into too much detail of what we did, read others' reviews and go to the main website and check it out and then share with others what a great time you had!!!! James and Yessie, thank you for the great memories. Best of luck!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
    4  Thank Cody E
    Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I did the 4 day/3 night program in mid-May. We had an amazing experience. Our flight had arrived late, however, this was no problem as our guide, Jessi, was there to accompany us to the lodge. From the first moment we met her, she was friendly and knowledgeable. We stopped to pick up rubber boots (included) for my husband in PM because they didn't have his size at the lodge before taking the boat to the lodge.

The lodge itself is great - the main lodge is where the kitchen and dining area are. It also has several comfy chairs and a pool table. The bungalows are a decent size; comfortable and clean. Remember you are in the jungle!

The program was great - jungle walks (day and night), Lake Sandoval, canopy walk, night caiman search, and rescue centre. We were fortunate to see quite a variety of wildlife including three different species of monkeys, sloths, snakes, tarantula, otters at Lake Sandoval, caiman, and so many different birds.

Jessi was our guide the entire time and she was great. Her eyes and ears are unbelievable.

The food was fantastic as well - local dishes prepared in house with fresh fruit juices with every meal.

I would highly recommend this lodge - great value, great staff, great experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Jkosteroski02
    Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our party of two adults and one teen visited for four days in early April. The room was clean and spacious with monkeys right outside and lots of exotic bird calls. The food was excellent and varied with fresh juices each day. Our tour guide, Yesi, was intrepid and amazing. She even let our son try out her machete which I think was one of the highlights for him. From my research, this lodge offers one of the best program line-ups which includes the canopy walk and a trip to the research station where you can see many animals. The owner, James, will also take you on a nighttime caiman hunt and catch one for you (and he was sensitive enough to ask first if we were OK with that). I would highly recommend Amazon Planet!

Here are some tips based on our experience:

1. Bring long sleeved shirts and pants for the jungle. They are necessary insurance against mosquitos. We didn't experience a lot of mosquitos in early April, but you don't want to take chances. And, bring bug repellent, of course. We went through Safeway for our malaria medication and were really happy with their service. You fill out an online form ($50 consult fee if I remember right) and they get you set up with everything that you need which might include hepatitis and yellow fever. We even got some altitude sickness meds and antibiotics for stomach problems just in case which my husband ended up using in Cusco,
    2. You will likely be wearing rubber boots part of the time, so bring socks if you like to wear your boots with socks.
    3. You will get a little dirty in the jungle (that's part of the fun), so be prepared with extra clothes as the humidity makes it challenging to dry things. Even my Ex Officio stuff never got fully dry.
    4. We were excited to go to Lake Sandoval as we had heard so much about it. Take note if you are considering this excursion. The path to the lake, which is something like a mile and a half both in and out, is mostly covered with about 6" deep mud and is not very well maintained. I have heard it's a little better in the dry season, but not by a lot. It can be very slick, so if you have mobility issues give this some thought. Also, the lake is beautiful, but there is no shade in your boat. So, bring a hat and sunscreen and be prepared to be hot. We saw several different types of monkeys on the walk and various butterflies including the Blue Morpho. However, we didn't see a lot on the lake itself aside from sleeping bats and birds. It's a big lake and I think your chances of seeing the otters probably depends a lot of the time of day (really early or really late) and luck. You do get a very cool passport stamp with a giant otter which almost made trudging the mud worth it!
    5. Bring cash for tips with you as you will not have access to any ATMs once you leave Puerto Maldonado. We tipped our guide and gave the owner, James, an additional tip to distribute to the kitchen and housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
    6  Thank Caroline B
    Reviewed 7 May 2014

3 of my friends and I visited Amazon planet in Mid-April and had a fantastic experience. This lodge offers a great value relative to other lodges in the jungle area in Puerto Maldonado. The guide, Yesi, was fantastic and was able to show us white and black caiman, macaws, lake otters, and 5 or 6 species of monkeys in the wild. This was pretty amazing. They also showed us some more exotic animals in their refuge that we got to tour. They also have access to an amazing canopy walk that was one of the coolest things I have done in the wild. It’s a little scary getting up there but offers an amazing spot to see the hundreds of bird species. They also took us on a really fun night caiman hunt and even brought a baby caiman into the boat for us to see that they caught bare handed (that is like sticking your hand into a saw blindly). Pretty cool though. This was like watching the former crocodile hunter in his flesh.

The staff was excellent and very friendly. One of the owners, James, actually helped resolve a problem I had with my bag being lost by the airline and even picked it up from the airport for me and hand curried it to me. He was very concerned with my comfort and even loaned me some of his own clothes to make my stay more comfortable. He honestly could have been more accommodating. He will go way out of his way to make you comfortable.

The bungalows are pretty nice and give you a fair amount of privacy. The bed was pretty comfortable given that it was in the jungle. Each place has its own bathroom in the unit. There was not hot water, but this was not a major concern given the high temps in the jungle.
    The food was pretty good as well given the cost of the accommodations. I was only disappointed in two meals in 4 days. They served a wild 16 pound catfish they bought from a local fisherman in front of us and dressed it with local ingredients. It was absolutely delicious. They also served an amazing dish with Brazilian nut sauce.

I would highly recommend this accommodation to adventure travelers in their 20s and 30s.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
    3  Thank Brandon H
    Reviewed 16 March 2014

My boyfriend and I have just come back from 4 amazing days at Amazon Planet. I've been dreaming of going to the Amazon since I was a little girl and this location had everything-wildlife, beautiful canopy and adventure! All with the added bonus of lovely accommodation, yummy food and warm passionate people.
    Highlights of the trip were the canopy (highest in south america!), rafting down the river at sunset, the animal rescue centre, canoeing through flooded jungle, and learning about Amazon Planet and the rescue centre's inspiring conservation efforts.
    We were in the first group of tourists to return to AP after the worst flood in the area in 60 years (very sad -lots of people lost their homes and crops). You could tell the staff had been working hard to make sure everything was in order for us and were apologetic that some things weren't the same as usual (e.g. we canoed to the canopy instead of walked, it wasn't safe to use the zip line, and the rain was so heavy on our last day that we couldn't go to the lake). But we knew we were going into the wet session of the rainforest so we weren't bothered. If you are going in the next month, it could be a good idea to book an extra day with no activities in case of heavy rain. We actually enjoyed our one rain day as the jungle is so relaxing and beautiful we just had a few drinks and chilled out until the rain stopped.
    Big thanks to our guide Jesse, the managers Sandra and James, the chief Don, and everyone else for making us feel like part of the Amazon Planet family:)

Stayed: March 2014