“Animal sanctuary great”
Review of Amazon Planet

Amazon Planet
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was fantastic to be able to visit the animal sanctuary that works alongside the lodge as this really was something other lodges cannot offer.

The lodge along with others in the area I am sure has been recently affected by severe flooding meaning it isn't all that polished as it once was, we felt perhaps what we paid for a two night stay was a little pricey for this reason. For the price we paid we were probably expecting to be looked after a little better, food was rather plain, no soup or hot drinks offered (We've been told in the past this is a Peruvian tradition at meal times), we were also left out of our group and had to ask the tour guide to include us.

Unfortunately after being dropped back at the port following our trip the taxi driver that the lodge seems to use, let us and one of the tour guides know (after we asked) that it would cost us 30Soles to get to the Brazilian border, remarkably cheap but after checking time and time again he assured us only 30Soles. He arrived at the planned 6am the next morning to pick us up and we checked one again "30Soles right?", he then took us 15 minutes up the road before stopping to get petrol and asking us for 300Soles. Nonetheless we did not agree to this so he took us to where the mini vans leave from and then asked for 10Soles. We eventually got to Brazil at 11pm that night. Just don't make the same mistake as us, as we trusted the guy since AP use his services.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment we landed at the Peurto Maldenado airport, we were greeted by Jamie, one of the owners of the lodge. His joyful energy stuck with us for all 4 days of our trip. They'll take you to the river via taxi where you'll meet your tour guide for your entire stay. Hop on their powerful wooden motor boat for about an hour before arriving at their awesome rustic lodge. The jungle, well is called a jungle for a reason and it's humid, hot and amazing. For all of the things within their control, Amazon Planet outdid themselves. Their service is top notch, great indigenous Amazonian meals 3x a day included in the price. Even though it can be mega humid, a hot shower is still very much welcome. Most resorts don't have hot water. Everything is very well organized and you have time to relax, shower, hang in their hammocks or on your porch lounge chairs during breaks between all the planned activities. The room as are also cleaned each day. They are surrounded with mosquito net walls so you won't have an biting friends join you in your lodge. I'm sure all of the tour guides are great, but try to request Livio who is funny, informative and flexible. When it was incredibly hot outside and we didn't have the energy for a long walk to the plantation, he made fishing rods and took us fishing (since we had asked if that was possible a day earlier). To top it all off I was there on my birthday and Jamie organized a local baker in town to bake me a cake which he brought back to the lodge for a great surprise. Net, definitely recommend this place for the adventurous traveler who enjoys conversing with locals, trying local foods and adapting to the way of life of the jungle for a few days versus wanting a luxurious experience in the remote jungle.
Tips:
-bring cash to pay for the lodge and any beer or snacks. Cash must not be torn or they won't take it (common in Peru).
- Bring shampoo- they provide soap
- bring bugspray
- check health dept if u need yellow fever shot or malaria pills
- have a blast!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Keara S
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I recently spent 4 nights at Amazon Planet with my mom and sister and had an amazing experience. The staff, food, tours, atmosphere, and facilities were all excellent. We celebrated my sister's 30th birthday here and the owners went out of their way to make it an unforgettable celebration. The daily activities were unique and rewarding as well as physically demanding, which is exactly what we were looking for while staying in the Amazon. The ecological conservation and community involvement in which Amazon Planet does makes them a true eco lodge, unlike some of the others who claim to be. The price is also very reasonable compared to other lodges as well as what is included in your stay. I would highly recommend Amazon Planet and really can't think of any complaints.

Room Tip: Be aware that the cabins are screened in and not insulated. Therefore, do not be too loud or your ne...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dpliske
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights and 3 days at Amazon Planet. We were very unsure what to expect traveling so far into the wilderness. From the moment we were picked up from the airport by Sandra, we felt very excited and at ease. The entire team at Amazon planet treats you like you're part of a family. This isn't just a business for them, this is a labor of love. These people legitimately care about the work they are doing, and it is incredibly important work at that. I cannot stress to you how hard they work and how devoted they are to the region and the preservation of not only the animals, but the plant life. James is an absolute inspiration, having left his comfortable city life to go save the world in the middle of the jungle. In February of this year a massive flood damaged not only the lodges, but most of the farms and gardens they had. You would never know it because in just 3 months they had revitalized the lodges and replanted. I absolutely love this place and I will be returning, maybe for good if James and Sandra will have me!

Now on to the amenities and what it's like to actually be there. The bungalows are clean and completely sealed up from bugs which is a huge concern in the Amazon. No other place I saw in Puerto Maldonado gave you sanctuary from the bugs. There is hot water!!! I was blown away by the fact that you can take a hot shower. You need to realize what a huge effort it is to get not only clean water, but hot water, in a place that remote. Bravo James. I have seen some people on trip advisor complain about animal noises during their stay but to me the sound of the all the crickets and owls was very soothing to fall asleep to. You're there to experience nature people! The main lodge has a pool table and beer, good beer, what else can you ask for after a long day trekking through the jungle? Our guide Yessie was great. She grew up in the jungle and nothing scares her at all. She was very knowledgeable and her English was excellent. The thing that is really great about this place is the flexibility. They built much more rest/down time into the schedule than I wanted to take, and they were willing to fill that time with extra activities and walks to make sure we got the most out of our time there.

Overall, I cannot sing the praises of this place enough. It is the only place I have ever been where you can have a true adventure. This is not a tourist attraction or something you go to see. Staying at this lodge is something you do. It is something you experience. I have no complaints about our stay there. Everything was wonderful and I truly connected with this place and these people. Thank you to James, Sandra, Yessie, Juan, and everyone else at Amazon Planet. We will be seeing you again!

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight for your room at night, it's pitch black.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kyle D
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights in October 2013. I was the only booking from PeruLand, and AmazonPlanet still made this arrangement for me, it was only me and 2 guides. I was basically treated like a new friend, and I had a great time. The athmosphere was very relaxed, accomodation good, food EXELLENT, and the tours were amazing and at a good pace.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Look no further. We stayed 4 nights in lodge 1 with 2 comfortable clean double beds ,hot showers, plenty of monkeys outside our room morning and evenings and a lot of birdsong and strange animal sounds during the night. The common bungalow where everyone gathers to eat is a great place to meet other guests most of whom were in their mid twenties . Sandra the co owner picked us up from the airport and took us to the port for the very scenic 1 hour boat trip up the madre de dios. Guido our guide was excellent and his knowledge of any flora or fauna and native customs was soooo interesting. A night time jungle walk was brilliant. The 42 meter high canopy walk was our highlight. The night boat trip looking for caymans was enthralling. The trip to the lake was terrific. Amazon planet is not for profit and invests in tree planting for farming , the animal sanctuary which saves injured and lost jaguars , pumas , monkeys, tapirs , turtles etc etc. All these things are included in the price which at other lodges may cost extra. Meals were all delicious local recipes. Well done Planet Amazon 10/10.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phil_Joanne_13
Reviewed 31 May 2014

After lots of research we decided to choose Amazon Planet to experience a slice of jungle life. Not only did they seem reasonably priced but they also offered the same level of activities and were a good distance away from the town, not so close that there is no point but not so far as to take up all your time travelling there. The staff were very helpful and went out of their way to make sure everything was taken care of. We loved the food, the lodge and location. Sleeping at night was fantastic listening to the sounds of the jungle. Yessie our guide was very knowledgeable and helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 63 in Puerto Maldonado
Chuncho Lodge
Chuncho Lodge
#3 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Amazon Planet? Share your experiences!