“Relaxation in the Forrest”
Review of Refugio Amazonas

Refugio Amazonas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed hear at the end of April 2014.

Yes it takes some time to get there, but the boat ride is a relaxing one.

The property is surrounded by the sights and sounds of the rainforest. The main lobby restaurant area is very good and easy to navigate.

I found the rooms amazing. It was like 5 star camping. Very earthy and in touch with nature. I love the fact that rather than a window it was completely open. Felt closer to nature. Also all the rainforest sounds did not prevent me from sleeping.

Highly recommend this nature getaway.

• Stayed: April 2014
RainforestExp, Public Relations Manager at Refugio Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thanks for your review. We glad you enjoyed your stay in Refugio Amazonas and the wildlife surrounding this place. We hope to see you again in Refugio or in one of our other Amazon lodges.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Refugio was fantastic from start to finish. Our guide, Jackson, was brilliant. He knew everything about the flora and fauna, was so informative and was able to spot some amazing things. I will never forget the harpie eagle and chick we watched. We had fabulous excursions in the jungle and on the river by day and night, spotting among other things, caiman, monkeys, macaws, toucans and a tarantula! The lodge itself is beautiful. I loved our open room with its hammock. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. The food was great. As a vegetarian, they catered for me very well and my meat-loving partner was most satisfied with his fare too. it was my birthday while I was there, which I mentioned casually during the day and in the evening a huge cake with candles appeared! Be prepared for this trip: strong insect repellent, cover up clothing etc. The rooms are very comfortable with hot showers etc. Lighting in the bedrooms at night is low (kerosene lamps and candles) which is sensible as it doesn't attract so many insects, as one side of the room is open to the elements. I would love to go back one day and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our stay at Refugio Amazonia was everything we expected. Our guide, Eric, was knowledgeable and enjoyable. He showed us many things we would have missed without him. The hikes through the jungle were the best, and the food was great, too.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We travelled with our kids 4 and 6 years old. I first though "oh no!". Boy was I wrong! The kids loved it. All The people and the guide made it super excellent! My boys already want to know when we are going back! My boys speak spanish but english was no problemo! They really made it very special for the little ones! Thanks a million!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Refugio Amazonas is a special place. Open rooms, clean, nicely decorated, and surprisingly bug-free. Wonderful staff, you can even go play soccer with them in the afternoon! The food is excellent. Our guide was funny, friendly and knowledgeable. For those visiting the rainforest for the first time and needing a mostly cushioned experience, this is the place to be! The open rooms are only a problem if your neighbours are noisy. Really great kids play area. Birds and small animals come right up to the lodge. I would love to go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Once I arrived at refugio amazonas my jaw droped. I wantes to jump up and down like a child. Accommodation was beautiful and had such a warm and positive feel. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. I definitely recommend this accommodation to people that love nature and wildlife. I wish I had stayed longer, 2 day's was simply not enough.
I look forward to booking my next trip to refugio amazonas.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Refugio Amazonas is a place like no other! You literally get to sleep in a bed by the amazon jungle! Wonderful place, staff and FOOD!!
The only thing i can fault this hotel is the fact that they do NOT accept MasterCard or american express. No where along the way were we advised that only VISA can be used. Unfortunately for myself and family we all carry MasterCards.
And just our luck to not be carrying soles and only USD (which cannot be accepted as payment if the notes are creased or old!); thankfully we were able to resolve our payment issue with the boss as we literally could not even buy water.
That aside this place is AMAZING!
Note to self- take no creased notes or a VISA credit card when you go there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joanna L
RainforestExp, Public Relations Manager at Refugio Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thanks for raising this issue that is true and important. Unfortunately our POS system can only accept VISA cards at the moment in the Bar, Boutique, or by charging for extra activities. Hopefully in the near future we will be able to accept MasterCards as well but this is a continuous progress (about a year ago we couldn't accept any credit cards at all). We usually advice our guests to bring local currency (Soles) that can be changed at the Lima airport or in Puerto Maldonado. At many places in Peru (by law) they cannot accept any damaged US Dollars. Thanks for your understanding.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Maldonado
#2 of 20 in Tambopata National Reserve
Amazon Planet
Amazon Planet
#4 of 64 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Refugio Amazonas? Share your experiences!