“Your slice of Amazon Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Anaconda Lodge

and 1 more site!
Anaconda Lodge
Massachusetts
“Your slice of Amazon Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Anaconda Lodge is a quaint oasis in the city of Puerto Maldonado. We stayed in the bungalows for 3 nights and loved every minute of our stay. The owners of the lodge are extremely warm and welcoming and made our stay memorable. There are monkeys running around by the pool and dogs hanging out. The bungalows were clean, barley any bugs, and come with a hammock on the porch, During the times we were not exploring the amazon jungle, we spent in our hammocks. For dinner, I highly recommend getting the Thai food at the lodge! As far as exploring the amazon, I recommend going to lake sandoval but I dont recommend the zipline. Overall, Anaconda Lodge is the place to stay while visiting Puerto Maldonado!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sbobo12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Loved it here. Welcomed by monkeys! Friendly helpful staff. Calm, peaceful. Clean room, hot water. Best place to stay before heading out into Amazon Jungle. Chilled out in the hammock on my balcony with wifi access, writing a review on Trip Advisor.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Shelley C
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here for about a week in february and loved the place. It's like living in your own private jungle, lots of animals around you and most of them are tame. The house monkeys are unbeliveble cute and cuddly. Getting back home after exploring the Amazon and getting huged by monkeys before jumping into the pool felt amazing.

Great thaifood and the owners wife is a fantastic host with a big heart. It's a unique place to stay. Much recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

3 minute walk from the airport!!!! Wadee, Donald and the monkeys could not have been better hosts. Traveling in a group of 6 we originally had 3 rooms with a shared bathroom but we were upgraded to 2 huts with private bathrooms. Wadee explained that if the lodges are empty she will always upgrade with no extra charge. After looking at the shared bathroom lodges I was happy with the upgrade and would recommend springing for the private bathroom rooms. What followed was 3 days of great beer, amazing thai food and breakfast, relaxing by the pool, playing with the monkeys, and a wonderful jungle tour. We didn't have any plans made before landing at Anaconda lodge and Wadee hooked us up with a very sweet tour guide who helped us plan two seperate tours. I recommend the boat trip around lake sandoval. The "canopy walking and zip-line" although fun was a short afternoon trip that left me wanting more. I would've preferred kayaking and fishing. We were only there for 3 days and nights but I enjoyed every second. I would bring a flashlight and remember that you are in the jungle! There will be bugs!

Room Tip: Private bathroom recommended, bring a flashlight, keep your eyes open for spiders and other creepy c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We (A Group Of 4, 2 Couples) Decided To Schedule 2 Nights Here After 4 Days With Amazon Planet. Puerto Maldonado Is Refreshing & I Recommend Spending At Least A Day & Night To Enjoy The City. Anaconda Lodge Was Our Choice Because Of The Monkeys, Fair Price, Thai Food, & Free Breakfast. Wadee Made The Best Pad Thai Ever & Did My Nails - Very Kind & What A Treat. Susita, A 3 Month Old Howler Melted Our Hearts. Their Dogs Are Probably The Sweetest I've Ever Encountered, The Male Followed Me Around & Slept Outside Our Door. My Boyfriend Wasn't Happy About The Bugs In Our Bungalow Due To The Gap Between The Roof And Screens. It Was A Bit Frustrating That Other Bungalows Looked Renovated & Weren't Being Used, But We Did Search & Accept The Cheapest Price We Could Find. Our First Night We Found Our Way To The Soccer Field Down The Street. They Served Us Beer, Called Us A Cab To Go To The Center, & Welcomed Us To Come Back The Next Day. I Woke Up Past Breakfast & Wadee Seemed Concerned About Not Serving Me Something (Very Sweet), I Had Coffee & Sat At The Table With Donald & Susita For At Least An Hour. I Appreciated The Company While I Waited For My Friends To Get Moving. After The Pool We Decided To Go Back To The Soccer Field. An Even Warmer Greeting This Time With Hugs & Kisses. The Owner Came To Meet Us & Thanked Us For Coming, Apparently It's Rare For Tourists To Visit & If You Have Any Interest, I Suggest Stopping By As This Was A Highlight For Us. After Seeing Monkeys In Cages A Few Days Prior, Seeing Them At Anaconda Lodge Was A Comfort. They Are Relaxed, Playful, & Sweet. How They Got There Can't Be Changed, But They Seem To Be Doing Just Fine. If You're Looking For A Close Encounter With Monkeys This Is It. I Couldn't Rate Excellent As It Potentially May Not Be The Cleanest, Most Comfortable Environment... But If You're Aware Of Where You're Traveling You Won't Be Disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Anaconda for 3 nights. It was a dream come true for her to spend time with the monkeys. They did not disappoint. The baby was especially cute and the older ones would lay on your lap or hang off you. Don't wear a white shirt though, the monkeys sweat orange and it stains clothing.

The lodge and the bungalows are situated off the main road but you can still hear traffic although it is not a big issue and did not bother us. The bungalows are set in a jungle setting with beautiful flowers, trees, bananas etc. Our cabin had a private shower and a ceiling fan for cooling which worked well.

The food was absolutely amazing as other have said. As well, it is reasonably priced. The breakfast was very good and plentiful. They will even cook you an egg as you like it. You can fill up your water bottles at the lodge.

We took a one day jungle tour to Sandoval Lake offered at the Tarantula Eco-Lodge next door. We saw lots of birds, some monkeys, capybara, cayman, and a giant anteater (very rare to see this). Really good lunch at a jungle lodge. A very long day. The owner of the lodge offered us free wi-fi (good speed for Peru) as the Anaconda does not have wi-fi.

We took a trip into town which was very interesting. We had a difficult time flagging down a tuk-tuk to take us into town. The market is amazing and there are some decent places to eat lunch. Look for drivers with yellow vests, they are supposedly specially trained and safe. I think we paid 5 sol for the ride to town.

One last thing I should mention. My daughter and I ended up with parasites in our feet (chigoe flea). They burrow under the skin of the feet and wait there to mate. When we got home our doctor did not know what they were but took photos and sent them to someone familiar with tropical parasites. He called us up that afternoon and scheduled a surgeon to cut them out the next day. They can cause a lot of problems if left untreated. I'm not saying we picked them up at the lodge, but it was the only place we had our shoes off in Puerto Maldonado. The rest of our time in Peru we spent in the mountains. Not a deal breaker and we would probably go back but would take more care and wear shoes.

Room Tip: Take a bungalow with private bathroom. The shared bath/washroom would be hard to find at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank adderboy1
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights after spending 4 nights in the Amazon jungle.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids aged 14 and 10. We were greeted by Donald and his monkeys while our drivers helped us with our luggage to the main dining area. The monkeys came straight onto our bags and started eating our luggage tags. Donald told us that they like eating paper!!! OK no big deal.

We were a bit cautious as we had previously had issues with monkeys in Malaysia with the kids but thought we would be fine. Unfortunately, the monkeys really don't like kids and my 10 year old son was given a stick by Wadee to use while he walked around the lodge. Not a good start. Later that afternoon we were spending some time chilling out in the pool and every time my son went to get out, the larger monkey came from no-where and sat by the steps. Eventually I ended up getting Donald so he could get out. Another time we were sitting in the dining area having breakfast and the oldest male monkey saw my son in there and ended up climbing through the thatched roof. He ended up running into the kitchen and closed the door. On the other hand, I had the privilege to be able to bottle feed the baby monkey and have the other 2 sleep on me which was amazing. I wouldn't take the kids there again but for adults I think it is an amazing place.

We loved our bungalow. It had a double bed in a separate area with the bathroom off of that room. A single bed in the main sitting area and then upstairs there were 5 single beds. Both the master room an the sitting room had ceiling fan which we found adequate with the temperatures while we were there.

One evening after dinner Wadee offered to paint my daughters nails with flowers and they looked like they were done professionally.

Each evening we had something different from the Thai menu and it was always fresh and delicious.

Although they do not have Wi-Fi, the Tarantula Lodge which is right next door offers free Wi-Fi to the guests.

We had lovely hot showers which we didn't really need due to the humidity.

Noise from the surrounding areas travel some distance at night and we found the outside noise quite loud. Also, there was a rooster who decided that sunrise was at 4am which made for an early start to the day. I guess that's the jungle though and definitely not the fault of the owners.

Unfortunately, the power in Puerto Maldonado was off for almost 15 hours during our stay but we just went to the pool to stay cool.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family