“Basic, clean room. Great host.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Totorani Inn

Totorani Inn
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Puno
Nashville, Tennessee
“Basic, clean room. Great host.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The room is nothing fancy, but it was clean and had plenty of hot water. As for the location, I liked Puno more than many people online seem to, so I was happy, but if you're looking for a hotel in a charming old town square along the lines of Cusco, this place probably isn't for you (or Puno either for that matter).

The best part of the stay for me was our host, Alberto. Although we didn't take him up on it, he offered to pick us up at the bus station when we arrived in town, arranged a full-day tour of Uros and Taquile for us, and bought bus tickets for us for the next stage of our trip. If he charged us any sort of premium for this, it was a very small one.

If you're looking for a basic, inexpensive room with the service you'd find at a more expensive hotel, you'll like the Totorani.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert55229

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Arusha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

Coming from Bolivia, it's hard to beat that first hot shower. But maybe the breakfast was the best thing about Totorini. Or the friendliest welcome of any hotel in Peru?

The property isn't in the nicest part of town and it's a bit of a walk to find a restaurant. But the service is excellent for the price.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Phil M
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I spent only one night at the Totorani Inn, but it was clean, very comfortable, had great hot water, heater in room, wi-fi, good breakfast and was about 5 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas. What made this place so special, though, was Alberto and his lovely mother. They were both very kind and accommodating. I took the night bus back to Cusco and Alberto not only let me store my belongings but, when I returned from my tour and dinner, offered me hot tea while I waited until it was time to catch my bus. He also stood in the street helping me to get a taxi and, due to a huge parade and much traffic, patiently carried my pack and while stopping four taxis before one would take me to the bus station. I highly recommend Totorani.

Room Tip: I had a room on the street which was incredibly noisy. People in Puno seem to beep their horns more...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Birdie3
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

The rooms were very comfortable, clean and spotless with a strong wi-fi connection. The room also had a heater and was warm during the winter with instant hot water-running showers. Alberto and his family were very kind and accommodating during my stay especially when I became very sick from altitude sickness. Alberto was sure to pick us up from the bus station, and arrange our tours and transportation. He and his family were very helpful and attentive the entire time. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane10nmd
Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

During the busride from Arequipa to Puno my girlfriend got really sick due to altitude sickness. Alberto was waiting for us and drove us straight to a medical clinic. When we were at the clinic he took our backpacks to the room at the hotel and after 1 hour he was there again to pick us up.
we stayed at the hotel for 2 days and Alberto and the family did everything to help us. He looked after us and brought us coka tea, he booked us a trip to the islands, he even went with me to the trainstation to change the tickets for the train. The rooms are great with hot water al the time and there is no noise from the streets. If you need a place to stay in Puno. This is it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thnks for the great service Alberto.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Roel22-11-1978
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Could not have asked for better value and service at Totorani. We stayed just one night in Puno due to a bus strike and an impending flight from Arequipa. Was supposed to stay 2 nights but had to check out early. They even called to confirm our room in Arequipa for that night. Told us everything we needed to know about the town, and picked us up from the train station at no charge after our train was delayed 2.5 hours. Highly recommended if u want a cheap, clean and friendly stay in Puno.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Byronboot
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

Totorani came recommended and it lived up to its recommendation.
Situated on a main road , but not noticeably noisy. Appeared to be in a safe neighbourhood .Front door is locked at all times and a bell could be rung for someone to open door, so that level of security is reassuring.
Easy to pick up taxis outside the hostel.
Alberto was helpful, picked us up from airport and dropped us off at local bus station when we left Puno .
Prompt replies to emails in fairly good English although his spoken English is very limited.
We came back from La Paz to stay here again.
Charged a reasonable price to drive us in his comfortable car to Juliaca airport.
He arranged tours to the islands and excursions at reasonable prices and we never felt we were being ripped off . Efficient and organised.
He appeared honest and straightforward to deal him.
There's a computer to use in the breakfast area although we used the hostel's WiFi which was fairly fast.
Room 205 was clean , with adequate storage space , TV. Beds were comfortable and a small electric heater was supplied as the room was cold.

Bathroom was spacious, hot water available at all times, sink had hot and cold water mixer taps which is unusual in Peru as frequently I found only cold water taps which may be an inconvenience for shaving .
Shower space was spacious and a good shower which had good pressure.
Towel and hand towel including soap were supplied.
Breakfast: the usual crappy white bread rolls found everywhere in Peru's hostals , strawberry jam, butter, scrambled or fried eggs, coca tea, black tea or coffee, fresh orange juice, a banana each.
As you only get two rolls each and if you're still hungry then there's a bakery across the road from Totorani . However, the bakery serves crappy readymade sweet coffee so stick with Alberto' s coffee instead.

• Stayed June 2012