“Nice modern quiet hotel”
Review of Taypikala Lago

Taypikala Lago
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Puno
Auburn, California
“Nice modern quiet hotel”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great location, 10 miles outside of Puno, most rooms have a great view of Lake Titicaca, top floor rooms (no elevator) have high ceilings. Nice beds and furniture, good breakfast. The best of the 3 Taypikala hotels we stayed at. They also have oxygen for those who need/want it, BTW.

Only negative is the fact that there is no elevator and climbing up the stairs when you're at that altitude (close to 4000 meters) is rough :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Chiang Mai
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Let me start off by saying the view from this hotel is amazing. I am pretty sure any room you are in looks directly at Lake Titicaca and this is stunning at all times during the day. The grounds of the hotel offer a lot of places to sit and relax. Compared with other options in Puno, it is in a very idyllic location. Additionally, the food in the restaurant is of a high-standard very tasty and reasonably priced. The people who work in the restaurant are also very lovely. These two attributes are the reason the hotel receives an average rating for me. As far as the other service goes, I would rate it poor.

Here are the reasons why:

But #1
We stayed here on a Groupon, a reservation that I made months in advance. On arrival and presentation of my Groupon, the receptionist commented "I don't think foreigners can use Groupon here." Whilst I am an extranjera (foreigner) I am a resident of Peru and entitled to use Groupon. This response immediately made me feel unwelcome. The receptionist was corrected by the reservations manager and we checked in, but not without some huffing and puffing on her part and not a smile in sight. Let me add a few more things here: many people in their reviews have mentioned that they were offered free oxygen, tea, help with organizing day trips and the service was excellent. We were offered NONE of these things and the only reason I can think it was because we were staying there on a Groupon. I speak good Spanish and had no problem understanding what was said to me: no offer was made of any of the above in fact, we weren't even given the wifi code until we asked for it. I have to be honest and write, if you don't want people staying at your hotel on a Groupon, don't advertise on Groupon.

But #2
I wrote an email to the hotel in the morning asking if they could arrange for a taxi to pick us up from the bus station - there was no taxi there - again, I wonder if they didn't want us staying there on our Groupon.

But #3
I agree with the comments on here about the water being REALLY overpriced - 15 soles for 2 litres is outrageous (it's normally 3 soles).

But #4
We stayed in the far-far side of the hotel (also to do with the Groupon?) when taking showers, we had to run the hot water for 10 minutes before it was actually hot. The TV also did not work (not just the case for us, but others as well). We were also not given any information about getting room service or how to call reception. Any time we wanted something we had to actually go over to reception to ask our non-smiling and unhelpful friend over there.

But #5
There was a lot of maintenance work going on in the hotel during our stay. There were also not many guests. Another reviewer made reference to the movie "The Shining", I would say I can relate to that!

But #6
One night, I received a call on the hotel phone in our room. My friend informed me that they had called the hotel on the landline and been told that they had to call back on the mobile number and pay the mobile rate. What's with that? No doubt our friend in reception had something to do with that again!

Overall, I am really pretty upset that I have to write this, but I do. It's a great place, but there are a lot of buts...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathryn R
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Beautifully decorated room and hotel, great shop, excellent food and dining room with a full view of Lake Titicaca enhanced by the flower gardens and humming birds that seek the nectar of the blossoms. A very comfortable stay with in door pool and spa.

Room Tip: All very nice rooms have a view of the Lake
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank theron m
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a beautiful view of the lake and stunning gardens. Very serene, away from the hustle and bustle. However, you must be aware that this hotel is so isolated that if you need anything at all like an atm machine, a bottle of water, liquor, a restaurant besides the one in the hotel etc. then you must taxi in and out of puno 20 mins each way, just something to be aware of.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sonya M
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I had a beautiful view of the lake from my room, with a beautiful terrace right outside the door and very serene areas to sit and relax. The food and service was excellent. Very nice gift shop with reasonable prices. I would love to return and would recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor close to the dinning room. Was very convenient.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maria T
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Sleeping close to the Titikaka lake, with an amazing view from your room... but the best of all: the brilliant service and the magnificent dishes !!! I never thought before about trying a ceviche on the altiplano (because it is a typical coast dish) however.... this Ceviche is just WONDERFUL !!!

Another important point to mention is the high vibration energetic point where it is located : between the sacred lake and the temple of fertility... plus... the hotel has quartz stones and a peaceful meditation room with a "golden view" to the lake in the sunshines...

I highly recommend everyone to book this hotel... and you can do it right on their website !!!

Room Tip: Ask the ones with view to the Titikaka Lake
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DharmaJiten
Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 November 2013

When we reached the hotel my husband was immediately disappointed, he was expecting a grand entrance I guess. The gravel drive is deceiving when you enter the hotel. The grounds have beautiful flowers and gardens and a fun stone labyrinth for the young at heart. We enjoyed a drink sitting at a gazebo overlooking the lake at sunset and it was so quiet we could not determine if we had heard such silence before. While it is lakefront, the lake is at least a good 150 yards from the hotel. We did walk down to the lake along a gravel path, and spoke to several locals on the way. They were very friendly and even gave me sugarcane to feed to the sheep that were near the path. We ate at the restaurant which was alright. The rooms were also very clean and extremely well maintained!

Room Tip: We had a triple room with three singles, one for our son also, on the third floor. All rooms have a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family