“very friendly staff, free tea, warm showers, everything you need”
Review of Bothy Puno

Bothy Puno
Ranked #25 of 96 Speciality Lodging in Puno
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“very friendly staff, free tea, warm showers, everything you need”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I liked this hostel a lot. the family that runs the hostel is really friendly and helps with everything. breakfast is included in the price and is nice. Showers are warm and the wifi is surprisingly fast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irene-Schrijver

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed two nights here and would recommend this place to anyone looking for value for money. The staff were really friendly and they even emailed me prior to arrival to advise some things to note in Puno, which was a pleasant suprise compared to other hostels in Peru.

The showers were hot and the breakfast consisted of sliced meat, cheese, bread, butter, jam, coffee, cocoa tea and other teas. There is a kitchen which they encourage guests to use and after a trip to the local produce markets this facilitated a delicious and cost effective meal.

Towels are priced at 1 SOL which was a welcomed price compared to the 4+ SOL I paid at other hostels in Peru. The internet access was excellent and could be used at all three levels of the hostel, including the rooms; something not often encountered.

There was some construction going on within the hostel during my stay but this didn't affect the sleep quality very much as I didn't sleep in past 7AM anyways; no doubt this will be completed soon though.

The staff assisted with a very cheap (35 SOL) bus ride to Arequipa from Puno and it was nice not having to leave the hostel to arrange this. I stayed in the 6 bed mixed dorm and the beds were quite comfortable; there were ample extra blankets available also as Puno was particularly cold when I visited (June 24th 2014).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lucidite
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Still kind of seem to be getting all the finer details flattened out but it is cheap and has all the basics you need and the breakfast is good with eggs, ham, cheese, juice, coffee n tea! It's a 5-10min walk from the Main Street. The ladies that work there are lovely and really helpful! It isn't like bothy in Arequipa.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Kiwismiley
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Breakfast included, two working computers, staff friendly, clean, warm water, central enough to walk at any timefrom the center, a very worthwhile and economictour to Lake Titikaka can be booked directly from there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Similar to the one in Arequipa, Bothy is an affordable hostel, with friendly staff, wifi, 2 computers for free use, and breakfast included. The rooms are clean and the showers are hot. The staff are very helpful in organising tours, and you get picked up from the hostel.
The hostel is close to the centre of town, with many cheap touristy shops and restaurants.
I would certainly recommend this hostel as a cheap and decent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 10 March 2014

It looks sketchy from the outside but looks can be deceiving. It is a good price with good rooms. We stayed in the dorm style and it was great. Comes with a small breakfast every morning: bread, cheese, slices of meat, orange juice, coffee & coca tea. The tea really helped me adjust to the altitude. Also it is not too far from the bar street. It is very close to the path to get to the top of the highest hill/mountain that overlooks the city. Great views up there if you can make the hike. Enjoyed my stay there; I would stay there again if I go back to Puno.

Room Tip: I stayed in the dorm style room with 3 other friends. It was perfect for our group.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I travelled from La Paz,Bolivia to Puno via a local bus on Sunday 22nd December 2013. After a very short cheap taxi ride ( S6 ) I arrived at the Bothy Backpackers hostel. I did not have any small change so was relieved that the lady on the reception kindly paid the patient taxi driver. I would point out at this moment that the location leaves a lot to the imagination in a "shady" looking backstreet area BUT was perfectly safe and within a short 5 minute stroll to the town centre.The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and the facilities were excellent. After being traveling for a week I took the opportunity to have my dirty washing done and was astonished by the speedy service and the cheapness. I received my 2 kg of washing back pristinely cleaned and ironed that same afternoon which was very impressive. I was lucky to have sole use of a 6 bed mixed dorm for my 2 night stay and felt immediately at home. The staff even re-stocked the fridge with beer after I mentioned my thirst after a long 6 hour bus journey. I would recommend this lovely friendly hostel to any traveller and PLEASE do not be put off by your immediate impression of the location as you arrive in
the taxi. A true find !!!

• Stayed December 2013