“Tucked away”
Review of Manhattan Suites

Manhattan Suites
Ranked #3 of 97 Baguio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel was not easy to find. Since we were commuting from Manila, it was an adventure in itself to get to the hotel.

The front desk staff was very helpful and even the manager/owner turned up to welcome us. The rooms were spacious and well-kept. Bed linen were clean and crisp. Bring your own toiletries! They provide miniscule amounts but good enough if you are the only one staying in the room.

Breakfast was not included in our reservation so you order and add it to your tab at check-out. The conservatory where they serve breakfast is a nice place for families. Service was rather slow, but it could be because of the volume of guests as it was Christmas.

There is little to no activities or meal deals offered despite the holiday season. The owner suggested we place an order for whatever we want for our Christmas dinner and the chef will cook it up and we can enjoy it in the dining hall. It was a nice offer but we declined.

The rooms are not soundproofed so barking dogs, cars and trucks passing by, the odd fireworks being shot up at midnight and men singing karaoke at all hours were all heard in our room. You get used to it though and the cool mountain air makes it easy enough to fall asleep.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jocelyn V

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked a room for 2 at Manhattan Suites, and we ended up staying there for 3 nights. The hotel is a little far from the main tourist attractions of Baguio, and we usually end up paying Php 60+ when we take a taxi to Session road. That's already expensive for people in Baguio.

The hotel might not be that accessible compared to the rest of the same priced hotels, but just call the front desk when you need a cab and they'll call you back once they've hailed one for you. They have a guard at the gate, so no vehicles can enter the premises without him checking. It wasn't hard to get a cab around here. Our usual waiting time was 3 to 10 minutes.

However, since we got a good deal (half the price through Agoda), I didn't mind since I felt comfortable in their hotel. Their staff are friendly and accommodating. They're more casual in their approach, which I totally like. It had this homey feel to it since they're not in uniform or anything formal.

We got a room on the third floor, and they have an elevator for easy access to the upstairs rooms. I LOVE the balcony, though the view wasn't that spectacular (houses, not much trees or greenery). It was rainy the whole time we were there, so we didn't really get to stay and hang out at the balcony.

When we came into our room, it smelled dusty, but it was clean. Weird, I know. I guess they need to use a scented cleaner next time, or maybe spray the room with something so it won't smell old like that. The bed is comfortable enough. We asked for 2 extra pillows, which they gladly sent to our rooms. I wish they used pillow covers that will wrap the entire pillow so I won't see what's inside. The pillows didn't really smell, but there were stains and I'm a little iffy about that.

They have a cabinet for your clothes, 2 cups, a soap, 2 sachets of shampoo and towels ready for you. The bathroom had a few molds here and there, but nothing really dirty about it for me.

My major problem here is the water pressure. The faucets work really well, but taking a shower can take HOURS! Okay, I'm exaggerating (heheh), but it'll take you a long time to take a shower. Plus, you can't adjust the temperature of their heater so I ended up with water that's too warm for me. I think most people would enjoy this though since they're in Baguio anyway.

Don't get me wrong, our stay was overall lovely. The accommodations come with free breakfast, and they're pretty generous. You even get TWO EGGS per breakfast plate! Heheh. We got to eat dinner here on our first night, and we were surprised. The ribeye steak I ordered medium came out at the right temperature, and it was served with a glass of red wine. Their grilled liempo was very good too. This is why we decided to eat here again on our last night.

They have an internet cafe on the ground floor which is free to use for all the guests in the hotel. I think that's cool, but I wish they had a better WiFi signal so those at the higher floors can still connect. My bro and I had to work while we were there, and we had no choice but to endure the slow connection from our internet sticks. The signal here is POOR, just a word of warning, so your only consolation is you can connect to their WiFi which has better reception since their ISP is PLDT, we were told. I just wish we could connect even inside our room. They were kind enough to let us stay at the restaurant for work, but my bro and I decided to stay in since we were able to connect through our sticks after a couple of attempts.

We had a lovely time here despite the nitpicking I did above. I still recommend you stay here and give them a chance. I'm sure you'll have a good time. :)

+++:
- Friendly staff.
- Spacious rooms
- Surprisingly good food!
- Good deals when you book through Agoda or call them directly.
- A much-needed peace and quiet. :)
- The balcony - wish it wasn't raining during our stay
- Security guard at the gate
- Free internet access through the cafe downstairs, and free WiFi too

Negatives:
- Poor wifi signal when you're in your rooms. Even my Smart and Globe 3g connections were not connecting well.
- A little far from the usual tourist spots. you need to spend money on taxi cabs.
- Low water pressure in the shower.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor if you need better Wifi connection.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MhelIgnacio
Reviewed 27 May 2014

nice hotel with spacious rooms incl. all needed amenities. accommodating, Great breakfast , and helpful staffs. but the management is not aware with its internet connection.me as a guest, i need good internet connection to work on some of my paper works,online. also i want to play games for relaxation, me and my kids went to there computer room and we're shocked very old games i cant even use my thumb drive, what kind of pc's are these oh my god, but there only one pc inside that room where new games me ang my kids share with this pc we l ove those new games like crossfire and league of legends. thank you...any way this is a very nice to stay i didn't have a chance to talk to the owner to talk about this matter me and my family wants internet .i am also an IT literate. all i can say add more wifi equipment to boost your connection so i hope next time we come back your wifi and other PC are fixed thank you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank george c
Reviewed 16 April 2014

New, modern hotel with spacious rooms incl. all needed amenities. Great breakfast and helpful attentive staff. Its close to the city centre but not right in the middle, but the hotel will get you a taxi if needed for either a trip to the city centre, the bus station or a day tour.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bene5676
Reviewed 20 February 2014

If you want a very nice hotel for a reasonable price then this is the one. The service and Food is good. Not a walking distance to the city's famous landmarks but i noticed there are plenty of taxis passing by. Bringing your own car could be better.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melvin P
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed here last Jan31 til Feb1. It was only night since they are fully book. I found this hotel with superb hospitality since the owner Mr. Dimagiba, was really accommodating and friendly.It has large, comfy rooms with classy and nice design.

This is a wifi-zone hotel and that serves good , delicious breakfast/ foods within the hotel. The elevator is not crowded and accessible. The bed has soft, large pillows and many extra towels.

What I like the most is the large bathroom and the balcony where you can view the city and the houses at the mountain. It's very relaxing plus the great weather and the scene.

I really recommend this hotel to the Baguio travelers and I can truly say that this hotel is one of the best.

Looking forward for another booking to this hotel.

Godbless Mr. Dimagiba and the staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Had stay for 2 nights in this hotel last jan.24,2014 as a regular traveler of Baguio,my impression with this hotel is very good with regards to the direct service given by the owner mr.Dimagiba,he gives warm reception and constantly communicating with the guest is a big plus,but it becomes a minus when we talk about the room,first this is a new hotel with modern touch with a very good elevator.rooms is generally clean but seems dull and bare,no hot water making thermos which is a must considering baguios cold weather,no refrigerator which is acceptable,but the shower room must be constantly clean as molds already forming in the tiles,heater only for shower but not for lavatory,every room had a small balcony but the view are mostly the houses of illegal settler perch on mountain slopes,location of the hotel is like tondo of manila,chaotic and traffic during rush hour,good for first time visitor but not for habitual visitor who had experience hotel inside camp john hay,so if you ask if ever i will stay again in NYC Manhattan hotel,Yes i will if only i get it cheap with promo but not on the regular price.

Room Tip: Higher floor commands better view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple