“Good value Inn” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riceland Inn

Riceland Inn
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Riceland Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Calapan B&B and Inns
Essex
“Good value Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Please note my review is more for Riceland-1 Inn but they are the same group, and are only about 300m apart.
As a tourist you are unlikely to stay in Calapan, the only reason I did was because it would be very hard to get from Sabang Mindoro my starting point and Caticlan Panay/Boracay my final destination on a budget and in one day.
I found Riceland-2 Inn in MH del Pilar St recommended in the Lonely Planet Guide but for some reason I could not find it at first, even asking the locals where the street was.
I found Riceland-1 Inn on the main Road into Calapan JP Rizal St, this is a very long street but the hotel is almost at the end of the street and on your left hand side.
There is a church at the very end of the street and only about 300m from the hotel.
I asked for the room rate it was 320 Pesos fan room shared bathroom, although the room was very small it looked and smelt very clean, and the bathroom was quite good and clean.
I wanted to check out there sister hotel Riceland-2 Inn before I booked, they told me it was very close and easy to find.
All I had to do was cross the road and walk back down JP Rizal St away from the church and look for the street name it was only about 200m max away.
I looked at the rooms in Riceland-2 Inn, but because they were bigger the cheapest room was 480 Pesos, as I was only staying overnight I went for Riceland-1 Inn.
Riceland-2 Inn would be much better for a longer stay it looked good to me.
I found the staff at both hotels very helpful.
Riceland-1 Inn is above the shops and could be noisy due to the busy street but my room was in the middle of the building so no problem. They have a nice clean TV lounge on the first floor with the reception and with a couple of tables where you could eat.
I thought the whole hotel had a nice clean and friendly feel to it with a good atmosphere, unlike Ong Bun Pension House Iloilo read my review both identical accommodation but poles apart.
To get to Sabang Mindoro I came from Iloilo, and flew via Manila and got the bus down to
Batangas pier very easy.
I now know this is not the cheapest way to do it, but you cannot always get all your details correct, but I am still glad I did it that way as it was the easiest route for me.
I had a flight booked from Manila to Kalibo so I could end up in Boracay, but Yogi the owner of Sulu Sunset Beach Resort told me to travel via Roxas Mindoro.
I thought this was a good idea as it would be a new route and the cost was almost the same, without the cost of the air ticket which I had already paid for.
The cost of my air ticket was 1380 Pesos, but I did not try and get a refund as I liked to keep all my options open.
If any one else wants to do this route, this is the cheapest way.
I got the Jeepney 20 Pesos Sabang to Puerto Galera 15 minutes. Jeepney 80 Pesos Puerto Galera to Calapan 1½ hours. Stayed over night Calapan. Mini van 180 Pesos Calapan to Roxas pier 3¼ hours. Montenegro Shipping Lines 391 Pesos Roxas to Caticlan 4¼ hours.
I am afraid the advice you some times get is not always 100% correct.
I had 8 nights in Sabang, and as Calapan was quite close I thought it was a good idea to check out my travel plans first, this is when I booked my room. The port was very close so I went to check out the ferry time table I found Montenegro Shipping Lines and was told there was a 10am ferry there was not.
The ferry I got was 12am so a lot of extra waiting around and no need for such an early start.
At Roxas the Montenegro Shipping Lines desk was not manned at first so a few of us were a little worried, but eventually we found out there was a 12am ferry, there are quite a few ferries each day, but you must find out there times.
I was told at the port you could get the bus from Calapan port to Roxas I think they are coming via Batangas.
I was told by the manager at Riceland-2 Inn you do not need to get the bus from the port as there are regular mini vans from Calapan town.
There are 2 companies who do this trip all you need to do is walk to the church at the end of JP Rizal St and one is to the left and the other to the right they are only about 50/100m away from the church, you may need to ask where they are, but very easy to find.
Although I only stayed over night in Calapan I was glad I did, it is nice to see another town and behind the hotel and not to hard to find was a short road with food stalls in the evening.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo