“Would have stayed somewhere else.”

Inn at the Finger Lakes
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed 26 October 2007

I didn't know much about Auburn before booking this hotel - just that it was somewhere between Ithaca & Syracuse for college visits. We got in after dark and got a little lost looking for the place. We finally found it, checked in and asked the desk clerk for recommendations for places to eat. She provided one and said it was just around the corner, within walking distance. We walked over and I just had an uneasy feeling. Couldn't get in the restaurant so came back, got the car & went down the street to a pizza place. Downtown area seemed kind of deserted. Got back to the hotel and outside our window, some dragster was burning rubber on his tires and the smell just reeked (certainly not the hotel's fault but I think somewhat indicative of the location). I will say the beds were nice & clean but they definitely need to replace ALL the carpeting in this hotel. Too many pets with bladder problems or loose bowels. Found out later that there's a prison in town and this hotel is in kind of a bad part of Auburn (I didn't think there were that many parts). I probably would have chosen a different location. I've lived in New York City & felt safer there.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank red728

Reviewed 2 October 2007

Couldn't ask for a better place to stay,during our recent visit to Auburn.We stayed in the junior suite with a golden retriever and had enough room.Very clean,soft sheets,beautiful bedding and a great mattress.{ no back aches}. The staff of the hotel were just fabulous.Especially "Mary" Head of Housekeeping.Hope to see you in October.

Donna & Patrick Pacio
Salt Point,NY

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank donnana845
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We stayed at this hotel on a recent visit to shop at the Waterloo outlet mall. As some previous reviewers, we enjoyed the "Chocolates and Charge Cards" package and paid $89/night. I thought the room was pretty good for the price, and the chocolates were a bonus. The room was somewhat small but clean, and we could hear some street noise and a bit of noise from the adjoining rooms. However, for a budget hotel, it is a good choice. It is nicely maintained and the free continental breakfast had a few things beyond just muffins and cereal.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank bluejay31
Reviewed 29 August 2007

We stayed at the Inn at the Finger Lakes Aug 20-21, 2007 and could not have been more pleased with our stay. Since one of the reasons for being in the area was to go shopping at the nearby factory outlet
mall, we took advantage of the hotel's "Chocolates & Charge Cards" package, which included a room with two queen beds, a booklet of discount coupons for the outlet mall, a folder packed with information on the area's attractions and a "welcome" box of chocolates... all for $99.99! We were travelling with a dog and had requested a room on the first floor (dog doesn't like stairs!) and an early check-in time. We were accommodated on all counts.

From the moment we arrived we could not have been made to feel more welcome. Staff at the front desk are friendly, professional and efficient (they even stock welcome biscuits for the dog) and during our stay we discovered the same with all the hotel staff--- maintenance men, chambermaids, and the woman who supervised the breakfast room. We missed the nightly complimentary wine and cheese, but the continental breakfast was more than adequate.

Yes, the rooms are rather small, but beautifully appointed, spotlessly clean and very cozy. Our beds were very comfortable, the area is quiet, parking is great and the night light in the bathrooms is a very nice touch. There is no on-site restaurant, but staff are great at making suggestions and there are many restaurants either within walking distance or a short drive. If you are interested in the nearby factory outlet mall, the package that the Inn offers is excellent.

All in all, I could not recommend the Inn at the Finger Lakes more highly other than to say "we will be back"!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank PoloRalphLauren
Reviewed 26 August 2007

This former "Microtel" is located in the rundown, seedy, downtown section of the prison city of Auburn. It was and is a bare-bones economy lodge that is trying to somehow reinvent itself as a luxury destination. From my experience, it was hardly sucessful. The hotel is not anywhere near the Finger Lakes, the only view you may possibly have is of the security perimeter of the Auburn Correctional Facility. The tiny, stuffy, Non Smoking room reeked like stale smoke, body odour, and foul cheese. Simply put, it was absolutely horrible. The bathroom shower had mold and mildew on the curtain and the walls, I was totally disgusted. One employee who ran the continental breakfast was *so terribly rude*. As a traveler of over 15 years, I've never encountered someone so crass in the hospitality industry. Her dreadful personality and rotten demeanor alone is enough for me to urgently warn anyone from staying at this establishment. If you must stay in Auburn, New York, do yourself a favour and make a reservation at the holiday inn a few of blocks over, if you want decent accomodation, to feel welcomed, and have an enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank Travel-US1
Reviewed 24 April 2007

My boyfriend and I planned a weekend getaway to the Finger Lakes to celebrate our two-year anniversary. I found this place in a yahoo search and figured I'd look into it some more. They are reasonably priced (I think a standard room was only $70-$80/night and a junior suite was $125 or so), but I got a steal because they were offering a "chocolate and charge cards" package where you got a junior suite, coupons for the Waterloo Outlets, and a box of chocolates from a local chocolatier for only $79 plus tax.
I can't tell you how happy I am that we booked it. I was a little wary that maybe I was going to get what I paid for, but the room was really nice ("bedroom" area, "living room" area, bathroom, and even a bar area with a dishwasher). I am really anal and maybe a trifle paranoid about hotel cleanliness, and the room did not even come close to disappointing. It was pristine!! We were really happy to have stayed there and it was near a lot (major routes, grocery store, diners, etc). We were bummed we didn't have time to take advantage of the manager's welcome reception.

The only things that maybe were quirky or unfavourable: you could DEFINITELY hear the doors slamming shut, which kind of sucked at 7am, and though it wasn't important to us, if you're looking for a hotel with a view, this is not the place for you. But if you're looking for an otherwise nice and VERY affordable place to stay, I highly recommend it - and be sure to check out their package offerings because you might actually get MORE for less money!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BostonBabe1983
Reviewed 19 February 2007

I stayed at this little hotel for the first time with my family. I was truly impressed by its overall appearance. From outside, to the lobby, to the room. Everything looked so pretty and nice... and our room was so clean and comfortable. It had everything you'd find in one of those big chain hotel rooms, including the decor. My family was amazed! I came to the area because I was visiting a relative who's incarcerated in a correctional facility nearby. The staff was so friendly and eager to help us in any way. I felt so at ease being a complete outsider. The hotel is in a great location. It's close to lots of restaurants and shopping areas. I loved the fact that the breakfast was free since I was traveling with two teenagers. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Auburn, NY. It is such a great place! Oh... and it's also affordable. I got a special rate due to the purpose of my visit and another discount for being a government employee. Lucky me! The only thing I dislike a little was the bed. It was not firm enough for me. Regardless, I will definitely stay here again when I return to visit my sibling.

1  Thank Milliep99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls

Been to Inn at the Finger Lakes? Share your experiences!