“Dinner meal”

Cuisines: Asian
Auburn, New York
“Dinner meal”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had a late dinner at Ichiban. When we walked in there was quiet Japanese music and the sound of water from an indoor pond. It was pleasant.
Seating choices are hibachi tables, Western style tables, booths or a sushi bar. Since were were there just a couple hours before closing all seating areas were available.
There have all the usual Japanese choices both cooked and uncooked.
They seemed to have an extensive drink menu but only a few local Finger Lakes wines. They had a few wines by the glass. Lots of cocktail choices too.

Visited May 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Amazing sushi for CNY" -coming from someone who's been to japan, and eats here regularly.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I love ichiban. I come for the sushi, not the hibachi (which is also good). A couple years ago, I spent 3 weeks in japan teaching glassblowing in Kyoto. Long story short, I was essentially PAID in sushi, and have a bad habit. Actually it's wonderful, just a little expensive. ichiban has wonderful American style sushi (mayo in the sauce), with true Japanese roots and presentation. It is easily the best place in the area, until you go to Rochester. My family and I come in regularly, and the quality is very consistent. I prefer to sit at the bar- you get the best service and get to know the people who feed you! Their sushi is both traditional and innovative (dancing dragon roll and owasco roll are the best on the menu). Americanized sushi can be a little repetitive because we tend to be a little less adventurous. While ichiban has the same limited offerings as most other places, at least it's good quality and well done. No offense to my fellow white people, but it makes a difference when you have sushi prepared by people FROM Japan. This is the real deal, in Auburn of all places!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jason H
Kingman, Arizona
“Was really good, not starting to go downhill”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our family really used to enjoy coming here but the past few months it seems as though their attention to detail is really lacking. Their "performances" have been shorter and shorter and the amount of food has seem like it has decreased. The taste of the hibachi food is always good but their rolls haven't been as good as they usually are. If you get an alcholic drink here watch out as they put a ton of alcohol in it. Servers and cook as always usually very nice.

• Visited February 2014
San Francisco
“Not very good at all”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Miso soup was absolutely the worst I've ever tasted. The nearest thing i can compare it to is swimming in a salty swimming pool where fish have died and getting the water in your mouth.

Edamami (sorry for the spelling) was completely bland. Bland, hot, wet soy beans are simply not good.

Sushi was okay. Tuna roll and salmon roll were acceptable.

Overall very disappointing experience.

• Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Japanese food”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We tried the Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse after our hotel's front desk staff recommended it. I was initially skeptical given that it was not ranked very high in the tripadvisor listing. It was ranked 20th among restaurants in the Auburn area. We tried it regardless and were pleasantly surprised. My family and I have tried many Japanese restaurants before in various parts of North American including Vancouver and Toronto. This restaurant was one of the better ones.

Now, the restaurant claims to have "hibachi". But, I saw teppanyaki grill tables instead with chefs preparing the food in front of the patrons. Not sure what is the difference between hibachi and teppanyaki. I didn't get a chance to try it out. But, it looked and smelled pretty good.

We sat down for the regular dinner. I ordered the sushi/sashimi dinner platter, which was about $21. It came with nigiri, sushi, shu mai, sashimi and tempura. The fish was very fresh. The tempura was fried in non-greasy oil given the light colour. The whole platter was very generous.

Another person in my party ordered an udon noodle. It arrived in a traditional iron clad pot. It stayed hot for a long time. The noodle tasted great.

My young son had the kids' special with chicken. That was for about $10.

Altogether, our meal came to about $75 in total without any alcoholic drinks. I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant. I think you will too.

• Visited May 2013