“Excellent Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Auburn, New York
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've lived in the Auburn area for many years and only been to the Sunset about four times. We had not been there in about three years and decided to go this past January. The first impression upon entering is that this place is dated and needs a serious overhaul on the interior. Service was average at best, our waitress was not very attentive. The food was fantastic and the portions were large. The prices were very reasonable and I would not hesitate recommending the Sunset.

• Visited January 2014

“A local institution since 1933, and for good reason”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Very good American and Italian food, excellent specials, fine professional wait staff and bar service. Nice family friendly, old-fashioned restaurant. An excellent value for the money. We've been going there for years, and will continue to do so. One suggestion – please reduce the salt in your standard menu items, or at least offer some heart healthy low-sodium alternatives! The restaurant also does a great job with the banquet groups large and small.

Visited August 2013
Kitchener, Canada
“Good value and good food”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We went to the Sunset Restaurant with friends for dinner this past Sunday - they let us know it was one of their favourite spots in Auburn.

It was easy to see why - the whole place had a very "you're family here" kind of atmosphere where the staff knew the regulars.

I had the spinach salad and french onion soup - the soup was really awesome and the salad was enormous.

My partner had veal and mashed, and shared a bite with me, and I'll have to say it was also quite good.

It is little wonder that this place gets the reviews it does - it is a gem.

Visited July 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“It's working class Italian... And darn good.”
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

I know Italian and have had it in many different places including in Italy where we had vacationed for two or three weeks a few years back... This restaurant is in Auburn NY... If you want a visual just look up the stock chart of BAC (Bank of America) over the last 5 years and that Auburn over the last 30 years!!! Ok... Back to the restaurant... There are nicer and more fancier places but the food here is good and the value is outstanding. That's enough for me. I remember 20 years ago 5 people could eat well for 100 US$ here and well those data are gone but the good is still good. The owners are probably struggling like everyone up there and they are doing a good job. Go out and enjoy the restaurant true the shrimp cocktail and the chicken parm.... I will say that if it were me I would take people to Lasca's if you had out if own guests. Near the end if their trip or after they get adjusted to the atmosphere ( Auburn is similar to Flint MI in 1985) they will be able to look past the environment and enjoy the good food!!!

GRA

Moravia, New York, United States
“Never got our dinner”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We entered the restaurant at 6 pm, were seated at 6:20 pm in the dining room. We had to wait 10 mins to place our order. Didn't see much of our waitress. Waited for 1 hour and never got our food! Three tables around us were having their food boxed and were leaving. Left money on table for app and drinks. Oh, found the waitress as we were leaving, she was standing outside having a SMOKE!!!!!

• Visited February 2013