“Very Good Italian Experience”

Michael's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 117 Restaurants in Auburn
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We enjoyed a nice dining experience on a Saturday night. Although we did have reservations it was not busy, and there were some empty tables at times. It is a very small, quaint place. We began with a bottle of Riesling from California ($30). For an appetizer we chose the Calamari that has a spicy sauce and banana peppers. Not sure of the name-but it by far was the best calamari we have ever had-and we have had a lot of calamari at a lot of different restaurants. Fantastic flavor-not overdone with fried flavor!!
I took a hint from a previous guest and ordered my salad with house Italian adding crumbly blue cheese-excellent suggestion....it was delicious!!
For entrees we had the Saturday special Prime Rib and Capellini with Shrimp and Artichokes. We both enjoyed our meals. To finish we asked for a glass of Limoncello which was good-but not as strong a flavor or alcohol content as we have had in the past.
Recently we visited in Italy-and this food was reminiscent of the food we ate in Italy...even to the bread to start our dinner...which was "OK"...but Italy is certainly not known for its bread!
Our waitress was nice-but did not go out of her way to do anything special. The owner was out and about chatting with visitors. He spent quite a bit of time with the ones he knew, which made sense-but it also makes sense to establish a relationship with new visitors (which we told the waitress we were when we first sat down). In all-there was nothing at all wrong with our service-but it did not have the above and beyond that a 5 star rating would have.
In the end-the food was fabulous, and the service was worthy of a repeat visit. Enjoy your dining experience!

1  Thank Laurie P

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I have been all over looking for great food for many years. Who knew we would find it right in our backyard. Since discovering Michael's we rarely venture out to other restaurants because when we do we are always disappointed. We have been spoiled by the amazing dishes Duffy {the owner} puts out. I have yet to have a bad meal. If you are looking for pizazz and fancy decorations this is not the place for you. If you are looking for amazing food from appetizers to desserts then this is the place for you.

2  Thank mindi g
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Read the reviews, made the reservation, went there to try the prime rib. They only serve prime rib on Saturdays!. We went on Sunday... Ordered something else. Not one of the 3 of us were thrilled with our entree. Plus, the booths are ridiculously small. My son-in-law is 6'4'' and my daughter is only 5'2" but the 2 of them on the same side of the booth could barely move their arms to eat their meals. Thankfully they are on the slim side because if they were plump or had any extra weight on them there would be no way they would have fit in the booth. There are only 3 or 4 tables and the rest are booths. I don't know how they seat people over 5 foot 100 lbs. Food was expensive for what you got.... Cold bread and cold butter brought to table... Not on our list to revisit...

1  Thank SparrowHawkAffaires
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you want a quiet, intimate, romantic evening with an excellent meal thrown in than you have to come to Michael's. Auburn is an Italian town and this restaurant is the Mercedes Benz of this town. The food is out of this world and I would recommend to any veal lover to get it here and you'll always come back. Small and quaint with great service you won't be disappointed. A little more expensive than other restaurants in this city this is the place to go for that special occasion.

1  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have eaten here several times. The last time was several years ago when we went with another couple. We do not go out to eat a lot, but this particular time we had a gift certificate which we decided to use. We had our meal and presented the gift certificate and we're told it was outdated and they would not honor it. Rather than argue about it we paid for the meal. I then called the restaurant during the week and spoke with the owner and he said he was not going to honor the certificate. I spoke to him a little more and he finally agreed to honor the certificate for $10.00. The actual value of the certificate was $40.00. I thanked him and we never used the certificate for $10.00. When people ask me about places to eat in Auburn I always tell them not to go to Michaels. And tell them the story of the certificate and the owner. I invite the owner to get in touch with me if he wants to and has some remorse to make the certificate right. I happen to know that any funds from expired certificates and due bills should be turned over to the state as unclaimed funds. I am sure he did not do that. If he wishes to contact me he may do so at hsr754@gmail.com