“Very good experience...got in early and we were able to...”

Days Inn Auburn/Finger Lakes Region

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Seems staff/owner/manager didn't know how to do things properly. Their cleaning left a lot to be desired. Need four towels to dry oneself due to thiness. Non existent WiFi. Exercise room is YMCA. Tired old motel that needs updating. Non existent WiFi. Worked for 10 minutes over a four night stay. Sink drained slowly. Some rooms with old TV's some flat screen. Some have microwave. AVOID staying here if at all possible.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 203. WiFi worked for 10 minutes over four nite stay
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Okay, so the place was nothing special. It was just like every other Days Inn that we have ever stayed in. Standard rooms and bathrooms. Clean, easy parking and check in. Just an ordinary, boring hotel. But I knew the owners were special as soon as I walked in.
We were on our way to a wedding reception. I wanted to pump up my night, so I was downing coffee like a champ. This meant that by the time I got to the hotel, I couldn't wait for check in to empty my bladder. The owner saw the frantic look in my eyes upon entering and immediately opened the employee bathroom. Awesome!
Then ,when we were leaving, we saw another couple outside that were headed to the same wedding. We were all walking in an attempt to avoid the dreaded DWI. The owner overheard us and offered us a ride in his car. He even gave us his number to call when we wanted to come home. He said we could call any hour. Wow. The owners of this hotel made this stay memorable. We will stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Say here only as a last resort.....other reviewers stated it was clean.....not anywhere I looked...paper falling off walls, filthy rugs throughout the property, Spider webs in filthy stairways,breakfast room was OK but no individual cream cheese, butter, etc....ate elsewhere...hotel was quiet.....fully booked.....room was dirty and bathroom was Ok, but shower was moldy...curtains were filth....refrigerator was clean....chairs were so stained....you wouldn't want to sit directly on them....you have been warned.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bucket-Listers2
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Check-in went well---one of the few satisfactory things about this hotel.

I was directed to use the door in the middle of the building. There was a group of five hotel residents hanging out and chatting nearby the door. Their rooms had outside doors that were left open.

Inside, I found the hallway had an “off” smell. I could not tell if it was some type of cleaner or a musty smell. Either way, it wasn’t a very pleasant odor.

The first thing I noticed about the room was the lack of lighting. There was NO OVERHEAD LIGHT. The wall light fixture near the outside wall did not work. That left the other wall light fixture next to the bed and the old brass-finish floor lamp next to the TV. I went to the front desk. I was told flatly, “That is a Housekeeping Dept. matter, and I have nothing to do with Housekeeping.” She went back to whatever she was doing. That said, “This conversation is over.”

The room had the stale smell of air-conditioned air.

Size-wise, the room was larger than a lot of other hotel rooms.

The rug appeared clean; but, later I found a green soggy thing on the floor near the bed. I identified it as a piece Kellogg’s Froot Loops cereal. Obviously, someone had not done a thorough job of vacuuming.

Surfaces appeared to have been dusted. The inside of the microwave oven was clean. The inside of the refrigerator was clean. The bathroom was clean.

The desk was in the dark corner with NO LAMP. I was glad that I’d brought MY OWN DESKLAMP. When traveling by car, I always pack one.

Then, I looked for an electrical outlet to plug in my computer and desk lamp. ALL ELECTRICAL OUTLETS IN THE ROOM WERE TAKEN. I UNPLUGGED THE HAIRDRYER IN THE BATHROOM AND PLUGGED IN MY POWER STRIP AND THEN PLUGGED MY 15-FOOT POWER CORD INTO THE POWER STRIP. IT JUST BARELY REACHED THE DESK.

I REGRETTED BOOKING THIS HOTEL FOR TWO NIGHTS BEFORE I WAS EVEN FULLY SETTLED IN THE ROOM.

There was a flat screen TV --- about a 37”. I tested it. The TV DID NOT TURN ON WITH THE BUTTON OR WITH THE REMOTE. Investigation revealed that SOMEONE HAD UNPLUGGED IT. Once it did come on, I saw the message: ANALOG. The picture had a lot of snow dancing around on the screen. Batteries in the remote were dead. So, the TV WAS ANOTHER UNSATISFACTORY ITEM.

Mercifully, the refrigerator and microwave oven worked.

The bathroom was larger than some other hotel bathrooms. The layout was a little strange. The power outlet for the hairdryer was next to the toilet instead of being next to the sink. That was a bad placement.

I checked for the “INDOOR HEATED POOL." IT DID NOT EXIST. I DID NOT BOTHER CHECKING FOR THE "HEALTH CLUB” and the "FITNESS CENTER.” There was some PUFFERY ON ITS AMMENTIES. I later learned that the hotel owner had an ARRANGEMENT with the YMCA DOWN THE STREET.

At least, Wi-Fi had a strong signal and worked well.

I did sleep fairly well. The bed was okay.

For Daybreak breakfast, there were four cold cereals: Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, and Raisin Bran. Packets of oatmeal were available. There were bagels, bread, and English muffins for toasting, plus mini muffins. For spreads, there were jellies, butter, peanut butter, and cream cheese. The juice machine had apple and orange. There was fresh fruit. Only regular coffee was out, but the manager made a pot of decaf after my inquiry. He seemed to be more accommodating than the girl on the desk after 6:00 PM the night before.

The best thing about this hotel was its proximity to downtown and the Seward House and Seward Park.

Overall, I rate this hotel on the low end of average and borderline poor.

If you found this review helpful, kindly click YES below.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Maurene_K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Inn at the Finger Lakes
Holiday Inn Auburn - Finger Lakes Region
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Skaneateles Suites
Skaneateles Suites
#1 of 7 in Skaneateles
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls

Been to Days Inn Auburn/Finger Lakes Region? Share your experiences!