“Oh oh....Cockroaches!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ascott Makati
Ranked #11 of 82 Hotels in Makati
“Oh oh....Cockroaches!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

A few years ago, we stayed at this place when it was still called the Oakwood. We were very impressed at that time with the facilities, the service, the food during breakfast, and the extremely convenient location. We knew we would definitely return during our next visit to Manila.

Fastforward a few years and the place is now called the Ascott. The location can't be faulted. Still great. The people remain very polite and very helpful. Check! The food, unfortunately, has gone down and we were quite disappointed with the selection and the quality... but it's still food and passable. Granted that it has been a few years and the apartments are showing their age, but.... cockroaches in the bathroom and kitchen?! No!!! Totally freaky and unacceptable. It was not an isolated incident. First was a cockroach coming up the bathroom drain and we moved to a different unit. It smelled of cigarettes, so on to the next unit. This third unit showed its age in the curtains, the walls and the upholstery. The whole unit needed some sprucing up and updating. It was clean overall, but then we found cockroaches again on several occasions... on the kitchen wall, the kitchen drawer, the kitchen table. Awful. Can they get an exterminator?

On another note, we were staying in a two bedroom and two bathroom executive unit. The particular bedroom we were staying at had an extremely high door hook for hanging towels. You would have to be a six footer to reach it or jump up to try and hang something. The bathtub/shower was also quite difficult to access (thank goodness for the bathroom mat), and for getting in and out of the tub you had to be very careful. It was also very difficult to reach the towel rack because 1. It was very high and 2. There was an empty space/ledge connecting one end of the bathtub to the wall that had the rack (the other wall held the shower). You would have to climb onto that ledge/space to reach the rack or use something with a long handle to try and make the towel fall down for use. Really inconvenient and I say dangerous if we climbed it.

If there weren't any cockroaches, I would recommend this place because of its extremely good location and the very helpful staff. Despite the need for some updating, it is still relatively clean. Right now I am on the fence. On my next visit to Manila, I think I will be looking for someplace else to stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marie B S
AscottMakati, Manager at Ascott Makati, responded to this review, 4 November 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We regret that this incident left you with a negative impression about our property. We however wish to reassure that this concern has been addressed since and we continue to work and liaised with our third party pest control specialist to ensure upkeep and maintenance of our property.

We hope this isolated incident has not placed our property in your permanent disfavor and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back so that we can impart a better resident experience.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

we stayed here a couple of times for a company thing. the location is really great. its literally connected to the mall (Glorietta) and a few blocks away from MRT and everything else. The bed and the pillows were comfortable and the rooms were spacious. The staff were also friendly and they also have free breakfast. The breakfast selection is great but what I really liked was bacon! There's a feeling of the building to be a little old but it won't bother you. We got the room with the view of the city. The building is quite tall so better get the room on a higher floor so there will be less if no noise. Although I haven't tried the rooms at the lower floor so I'm not sure. Would definitely choose this again because of the location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for uploading your very kind words about your overall stay here at Ascott Makati. We are indeed very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay overall.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I are regular visitors to Manila and whether for business or pleasure, the first on the list of hotels for us is the "The Ascott".
Right in the middle of Makati, beside the Glorietta shopping complex, it is extremely easy to get to by airport taxi and has the added bonus of a covered entry so you can escape from the rain!
The entrance is very small, and protected by at least two of Manila's finest security guards, who will escort you to the elevators. Once up the first level the reception area is enormous, and never fails to impress me.
Staff are always immaculately presented and the suites have everything you need. We are huge fans and cannot say enough good about the place. All topped off with an awesome breakfast buffet!
We always look forward to staying there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces out onto the Makati Square. Great views from miles up!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review in Tripadvisor. We appreciate your support and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back here in Ascott Makati on your future visits.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed here for a work trip ,and really loved the place .. the large apartment gave me room to spread out .. I was there for 2 weeks and the staff were very helpful , they did a daily clean of my room ..I could of cooked if I wanted , but why would you when you can have room service .. I ordered the salmon and mashed potatoes 3 times because I loved the first one I had .. the next two salmon meals I had, did not compare , so I was very disappointed .. I also had a lot of trouble connecting to wi fi I think it was a slow connection at the hotel ,, I must say that the service was great , could not complain .. this hotel was also close to the Greenbelt area where I ate most nights .. and so close the shopping malls and supermarkets , I also used spa at the Ascot for a massage and facial .. and also had a massage in my room ... the ladies were wonderful ..The breakfast was great it had everything that I, needed to have for breakfast
I would recommend this hotel , especially for the location

Room Tip: my room overlooked the front entrance where they had a lovely park with a pond and horse statues...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to have you stay with us. We appreciate your review and the compliments about our service and facilities.
We hope to welcome you once again here in Ascott Makati.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location is the best, so close to everything. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment with my 2 sisters, my husband and my 3yr old daughter. It was so accessible especially if you have a toddler with you. The service was excellent. The hotel is starting to get a bit old, needs some touch up, new paint in the room, and probably new furniture too. Shopping is so good, its just a few meters away, do not need to hire a car. Lastly, so close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Ascott Makati as your accommodation during your holiday in Manila. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable residents are satisfied with our
service and we are glad to know that the location of our property was to your advantage.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed here again with a couple of friends for a getaway trip to asia. We found the stay really good, we could shop at the nearby supermarket and cook our own meals in the full kitchen. Rooms are nice, a little bit dated, but to be honest we were there to enjoy ourselves and party so we didn't really mind!

Room Tip: Wifi cuts out continuously, especially on the higher floors- get a prepaid sim card with mobile inte...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your excellent rating highlighting the strategic location of our property and the size of our apartments.
We are glad to know that the full kitchen in our serviced residence was to your advantage given that you’re able to prepare and cook your own meals.

Thank you very much for your support and we hope to welcome you back on your future visit to Manila.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We (my parents, my sister and her husband, my mother in law and my wife and two kids, 10 and 3 years old) stayed at the Ascott for 8 nights in a three bedroom apartment. We were very satisfied. Although some things need a little bit of a touch up overall our experience was great. We got really good service, the location is sensational and the apartment is huge. I highly recommend the Ascott specially for large families and long stays. It's very convenient. My only complaint being a balikbayan was not enough Filipino style breakfast over our stay. But that's just being picky. By the way my kids Lola, the mother in law stayed in the maid quarters. :-) no mother in law jokes please...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing and uploading you experience at Trip advisor. We are delighted to hear that you and your family are very happy with regards to your overall experience.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back here in Ascott Makati.