A few years ago, we stayed at this place when it was still called the Oakwood. We were very impressed at that time with the facilities, the service, the food during breakfast, and the extremely convenient location. We knew we would definitely return during our next visit to Manila.
Fastforward a few years and the place is now called the Ascott. The location can't be faulted. Still great. The people remain very polite and very helpful. Check! The food, unfortunately, has gone down and we were quite disappointed with the selection and the quality... but it's still food and passable. Granted that it has been a few years and the apartments are showing their age, but.... cockroaches in the bathroom and kitchen?! No!!! Totally freaky and unacceptable. It was not an isolated incident. First was a cockroach coming up the bathroom drain and we moved to a different unit. It smelled of cigarettes, so on to the next unit. This third unit showed its age in the curtains, the walls and the upholstery. The whole unit needed some sprucing up and updating. It was clean overall, but then we found cockroaches again on several occasions... on the kitchen wall, the kitchen drawer, the kitchen table. Awful. Can they get an exterminator?
On another note, we were staying in a two bedroom and two bathroom executive unit. The particular bedroom we were staying at had an extremely high door hook for hanging towels. You would have to be a six footer to reach it or jump up to try and hang something. The bathtub/shower was also quite difficult to access (thank goodness for the bathroom mat), and for getting in and out of the tub you had to be very careful. It was also very difficult to reach the towel rack because 1. It was very high and 2. There was an empty space/ledge connecting one end of the bathtub to the wall that had the rack (the other wall held the shower). You would have to climb onto that ledge/space to reach the rack or use something with a long handle to try and make the towel fall down for use. Really inconvenient and I say dangerous if we climbed it.
If there weren't any cockroaches, I would recommend this place because of its extremely good location and the very helpful staff. Despite the need for some updating, it is still relatively clean. Right now I am on the fence. On my next visit to Manila, I think I will be looking for someplace else to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge in one of cosmopolitan Manila's most luxurious serviced apartments - Ascott Makati, which is designed exclusively for international business executives and their families. Ascott Makati recently unveiled its new Suites that are even grander and more opulent featuring a contemporary look that exudes warmth and sophistication. The property meets your every need from world-class services to lavish facilities that are well-appointed, extensive and personalised, complementing the elegance and refinement of the spacious residences in an exclusive city sanctuary, so that you may enjoy your overseas assignment, leisure vacation or relocation. Strategically located within Ascott Makati's prime business district and surrounded by restaurants, entertainment and shopping complexes, you can relish the renowned Ascott lifestyle amidst the pulsating energy of this dynamic city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Ascott Makati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ascott Makati Hotel Makati
- Ascott Makati Metro Manila, Philippines