“Disappointed”

Ranked #11 of 83 Hotels in Makati
New Jersey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here from July 30 to August 4, 2014 on a two bedroom deluxe unit located on the 23rd floor. We have been staying here for the last 14 years whenver we were in the Philippines to visit my family. Therefore , I also stayed here when it was Oakwood. I always liked to stay here because of the location. You are right above Glorietta which is super convenient when you have children. So thorugh the years, I pardoned the momentary lapses in service as I understand this is a big residence which accommodates a lot of people. However, this time around , I really got upset. I did not have time to complain to the management as I was busy preparing to fly out on the 4th of August.

The housekeeping gives us toiletries but they are not the right amount nor the correct one. We had to request for shower caps and shampoo.

However, my issues happened on our last day - August 4.
On my reservation, I requested for a late check out. So on the 3rd of August, our last night at the residence, I asked how late we can stay in the unit. I talked to Jinky and she said that the latest we could stay in the unit is @ 1:00 pm. I asked her if we could stay later and we would pay the extra charge as our flight to teh US is not till later in the evening. She said that the unit is already booked and she recommended a studio unit for ~ 3250 nett - check out time 6:00 pm. She said this will give us time to rest and shower / freshen up before our flight. I agreed with this arrangement. The following day which is now August 4, I went downstairs @ ~ 12:30 in the afternoon and requested my check in for the studio unit, so we can transfer our luggages. We had a lot of luggages - 6 big ones and two carry ons as we were three adults. When I went upstairs, my keys were already disabled. How can I transfer my luggage if he disabled my keys. To be honest, I did not get the name of the person who checked me in the studio unit. He sent the bell boy with me to move my luggage and then disable the keys? I sent the bell boy downstairs to get an active key. the bellboy went upstairs with the activve key but with a message form the front desk, that we should already have been out by 12:00 noon. what happened to the previous request of late check out which translated to 1:00 pm? At approximately 1:00 pm, we got a message downstairs asking us what time will we leave the unit. My sister said in about 15 minutes, we should have transferred everything in the studio. In another 2 minutes we got another call asking us how may more minutes till we vacate the unit. Really?

My husband went to the mall to do some errands, so my sister went downstairs that if my husband shows up to please tell him what unit we were transfered. The respond from the personnel in the front desk? Is he listed as an occupant of the unit? What is this interrogation? Is it because we are not foreigners? Is it because we are Filipinos?

For the amount of money I spent on this 2 bedroom unit and the partial occupancy for a studio unit for a few hours, I expect better service. I will definitle look somewhere else on my next visit to the Philippines. The week before - July 23 - July 30 we stayed at a residence unit in Ortigas and we were treated so special that the stay at the Ascott Makati was really disappointing. However, I would like to thank Jinky at the front desk for her help and the bell boy who helped us when we checked in and when we transferred from the 2 bedroom unit to the studio. Also to the personnel at the breakfast buffet. if not for these personnel, I would even give it a lower mark.

Totally disappointed!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Ilangilang
AscottMakati, Manager at Ascott Makati, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to know that you find the location of our property convenient because of the accessibility to shopping mall and that the size of our apartment is suitable to your requirements. We also appreciate your patronage for the past years.

We wish to acknowledge your constructive feedback and on the onset we wish to apologize for the inconveniences and for any discomfort experienced during your most recent stay with us.

Rest assured that we have address this with our Guest Service manager and guest service associates to review as required so that corrective actions are taken.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for a month. Great service. Fast and efficient. They could use redecoration, though. Not because things are run down.. everything is well kept and maintained. Just a change of look perhaps to modernize the colors a bit. Buffet breakfast changes daily and the waitstaff is very efficient and courteous.

Room Tip: corner suites are more isolated and quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nita300
AscottMakati, Manager at Ascott Makati, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you find our service great, fast and efficient and that you also like the breakfast variety at our cafe.

We wish to acknowledge as well your constructive feedback to modernize and redecoration to enhance our facility.

Thank you very much for your support and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been staying here for the past 2 weeks and my experience has not been all that great. The hotel is located in a great location with access to a lot of amenities such as malls, parks and a museum. Rooms are decent and spacious.

The downside here is the service. One day when I came back from office, I found no water kept in my room. Upon enquiring, was told that longer staying guests do not get water and need to make their own arrangements for water. This is the strangest thing I have heard since water is a basic necessity and something I would expect every hotel to provide its residents. Trying to save a few pennies by charging for water when when paying such a huge amount over my 6 month stay seemed to defy economics and the spirit of service. I also need to call at least 2-3 times for most things to get done and that really is frustrating as almost all hotels that I have stayed in around the world offered more prompt service. The final straw came when I asked them about their loyalty program. Was told that they do not offer a loyalty program since they are a serviced residence and not a hotel. This is the first residential chain I have seen that does not try to lock in customers through their loyalty program - another case of trying to save a few pesos. Before moving there, my impression was that they were a classy brand and it would be a home away from home for me. But after staying there, I have only experienced disaapointment and am really surprised that a brand of this size would try to behave cheaply and try to save a few pennies at the expense of a good customer experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank khebbar
AscottMakati, Manager at Ascott Makati, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to know that you find the location of our property great because of the accessibility to shopping malls, parks and museum and that the size of our apartment is suitable to your requirement.

We also wish to acknowledge your constructive feedback with regards to the expected amenities setup in the apartment for long staying guest and the prompt delivery of service in the end of our associates.

We apologize that we were unable to make you feel more at home and comfortable. We would have loved to be able to address your concerns while you were here and had the chance to make your stay more pleasant. We hope that you would reconsider staying with us again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Slow check-in. Friendly staff. Old, smelly room. Noisy airconditioning. Toiletries, robe & slippers were prepared just for one even if your reservation was for two people. Breakfast was complimentary for one person. Paid almost p10k for a night and one breakfast. Not worth it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tien M
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your feedback.

We are glad to know that you find our associates friendly and hospitable. We however read with much concern about your unfavorable experience during your previous stay with us. We wish to take the opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience caused and rest assured that we have shared this with our respective Managers for corrective actions.

We hope that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future so that we can impart a better resident experience.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Enjoyable stay, welcoming and helpful staff. Clean, spacious & well appointed. Well situated. Wonderful pool, relaxing & inviting. Room service brilliant including work lunches prepared due to early starts for work. Thank you Ascott Makati :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for sharing your kind words about your last stay with us. It is great to hear that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay and that you find our associates welcoming and helpful.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your future visits.

thailand
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff service was exceptional and the breakfast buffet was very good. I also had dinner here a few nights and found the selection offered very adequate. The hotel is centrally located with direct connection into several large shopping centers.
Overall, a very good experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. We are happy to hear that we were able to create an excellent experience for you during your stay. We are glad to know as well that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and our F&B offerings at café at the 6th were more than adequate for you.

It is always good to hear that we offer great value and that you were generally delighted by the service provided by our associates.

Thank you very much for your support and we look forward to welcome you back on your future visits.

Tahoe City, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I've stayed here on several occasions.

Pluses:
- It's in a nice part of Manila next to a major mall complex.
- The rooms are clean and they have a great buffet breakfast.

Downside:
- Much of the stuff you hear about exploitation of women in the Philippines and Southeast Asia is true and you can witness it firsthand when pimps quietly and discreetly bring their women to the front desk to sign in during the evenings.
- I brought up my concerns with management about the exploitation myself and other guests had personally witnessed and asked them what they were doing to help exploited women and young girls. The management response was disappointing to say the least making it quite evident they prefer profits over basic human rights, choosing to profit over exploitation rather than standing against it.

There are many nice hotels in Makati to choose from. I plan to go elsewhere next time and recommend you and your families do the same

Room Tip: A metered taxi in Manila can take you to the airport for about $5 worth of Pesos.don't get rippe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Phil J
AscottMakati, General Manager at Ascott Makati, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for highlighting the location of our property, as well as the cleanliness of our apartments and our breakfast offerings. However, it is with considerable concern to have read your review pertaining to the exploitation of women in our country and South East Asia in general; and such is happening in our property. We regretfully do not agree with your comments and wish to reinstate our stand that we do not in any way condone illegal activities in our property and we have been transparent with the steps currently in place, to ensure that we drive out possible illegal prostitution in Makati and surrounding areas.

We do not tolerate prostitution and like many other hotels in Makati, we’ve had our share of success to drive out prostitution and we are always in discussion with local authorities to find ways and means to eradicate this illegal business.

We continuously liaise with our partners in the community to drive out and we also provide a lady officer to counsel suspected sex workers so that we can provide aid to these women and consequently, they are denied from entering our property.

In addition, as a global company we have partnership with non-profit organization and actively participate with our civic duties and responsibilities focusing on families and children welfare.

Our statistic in nationality demographic shows that we have many foreign families with local marriages and we affirm our commitment to you and other residents who stays at Ascott Makati on their safety and security as well as our commitment that we do not tolerate any illegal activities in our property.

Yours sincerely,