“Great hotel, great location!”
Review of Ascott Makati

Ascott Makati
Ranked #11 of 83 Hotels in Makati
Tracy, CA
“Great hotel, great location!”
Reviewed 14 March 2007

I booked this hotel before reading TripAdvisor and was immediately concerned by the bad reviews. So I sent the reservations manager a link to the TripAdvisor site and told her I was looking forward to refuting some of the bad comments. I guess it helped to give the staff a heads up because they were literally falling all over themselves to give us great service.

The four of us stayed at a 2-bedroom, 2 bath unit at this centrally located hotel from Dec.1 - 10. The high floor unit was spacious and fully equipped like a small condominium with washer and dryer. Lots of room in the dining and living room area. Bedrooms were also large and private. We had a great view of the Ayala shopping complex, and because it was the Christmas holiday, we were treated to fireworks displays which we could watch from our windows. Great for entertaining visitors. Order food from one of the local restaurants, leave payment with front desk and they deliver up to our room (much cheaper than room service).

Value: Definitely contact the local office for deals (we emailed alot). It's better than going through the website. We saved about $70 per day. Room service is pricey -- didn't bother with hotel restaurant as there are so many choices right outside the front door.

Location: sits right on top of a bustling shopping area and lots of good dining establishments.

Transportation and traffic: heavy (especially because of the holiday) - we hired a driver and car and the hotel gave out daily vouchers for free in-out parking privileges. Parking was underground and easily accessible with a place for the drivers to wait and watch TV.

Accommodations: Very clean - some replacements necessary - our bedroom curtains had small holes. Shower drain was slow. Good sound-proofing. Restrictions as to the number of visitors -- they don't want you throwing parties in your room, of course. It's seemingly minor but for the life of us, we couldn't open those shampoo and lotion bottles!

Security: Very tight -- guards and dogs. Security desk for visitors. Felt very safe.

Service: Very courteous, quick to respond. Asked for a hairdryer at 1am and got it. My friend was sick and they went to nearby supermarket to purchase and deliver fresh ginger. Clogged toilet and slow shower drain- responded within 5 minutes. Front desk was a little slow, though. Business office folks typed up my fax message because recepient couldn't understand my scribbles and the secretary wouldn't accept a tip.

Spa Services - Maybe got a rookie but received the worst massage service there --complained and management was quick to give us another complimentary one -- this time with a better masseuse. Be wary of sob stories -- we got the same ones from different people --I guess a ploy for a larger tip? They have one-on-one pilates and weight training -- which my sisters did and liked the personal trainers.

Breakfast buffet - typical but pricey. We had 2 complimentary each day with our stay but $16 for extra person.

Downside - for some reason, they decided to fumigate our apartment during our stay. (Didn't see any bugs). Luckily we were gone early and did not return till late. Curious--they should have waited until we departed.

Lastly, as I am very familiar with the culture, I've been told that sometimes the locals are not treated as well as Caucasians-- a reverse discrimination if you will, or colonial mentality. For the record, we had Filipinos in our party and we were all equally well-treated. As far as our personal experience goes, I would put that notion to rest.

Note: While we were there, we received notice that Oakwood had been purchased by a Singapore(?) group (can't remember), so things may change a bit.

Overall: Yes, I could find less expensive accommodations but the service and location makes up for the few extra dollars. I definitely will stay there again and have already referred this hotel to my friends.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank tripsntraps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 3 March 2007

We stayed here last year for 2 days when we had a vacation in the philippines and we love it.Great location coz its just afew steps away from glorietta mall and a lot of restaurants you can choose from.The place is a condo type with kitchen and theres even a washer and dryer for your dirty clothes.Its a bit pricy though.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank det70
california
Reviewed 18 May 2006

My husband and I love staying at Oakwood. They have the most spacious and beautiful rooms ideal for families, and couples like us. The ambience is very homey. Evrything you need is there - dvd player, stereo, washer and dryer, etc. Cant ask for anything more! The location is phenomenal - it is on top of the Glorietta mall and short walk to Greenbelt. They have a very nice pool (i love it!) and the gym is well equipped and not crowded. Best breakfast buffet in town. It is definitely the best hotel to stay in Makati. Suggest you email the hotel directly and ask for discounted rates thru their sales office, as rates are more expensive when booked thru a travel agency.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank savvy16
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 April 2006

i stayed there last year, and i remember taking note of the the bad service they have, this year, we stayed there again for new year, and again for my little cousin's mini slumber party. i guess we never learn, partly our fault too. the service is really bad. they were disrespectful of the guests. for a 5 star hotel, they don't know how to communicate well with their clients. not a hotel to be recommended to anyone.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tamuning
Reviewed 1 April 2006

This was my 2nd time at the Oakwood. Stayed there again because the first time, December of 2004, I was impressed then. The hotel is basically a condo with all the conveniences of such...washer/dryer, fully equipped kitchen, dining table, living room. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit and it was definitely roomy enough for the 3 of us (I was traveling with my sister & mother this time around).

The problem was that the room we stayed in was a smoking room and there was a distinctive odor permeating the air. The carpeting was worn and dirty, if you looked close you could see the stains that even the most deliberate shampooer could not remove. Definitely in need of replacement.

Perhaps if we had been transferred to a non-smoking room my experience would have been better. I may stay there again, because it is so convenient to the shopping mall. You just fall out of the elevator and there it is. But I may just try Makati Shangri-la which is just next door....

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank PacificIslander
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2005

We reserved 3 rooms for 2 nights at the Oakwood in Makati. We reserved there because it was billed as a 5 star facility. (Oct. 8,9). The rooms were nice but The front desk could use some training in customer service. We were told we pay the higher rate because we were foreigners. Only Filipino's get lower rate. My husband was born in Capiz of Filipino parents and raised in Makati until over 20 years yet they told him he was not Filipino with American passport. The front desk swiped my debit card for 90,000 pesos (well over the cost of the rooms for our initial 2 night reservation) when I compained, he swiped again for 60,000 pesos but used the same authorization code as the 90,000. Because that 60, 000 was offline, he asked to swipe my debit card a 3rd time. I refused. He gave me a statement from the hotel saying theey canceled the 90,000 & 60,000 peso charges. I paid again the true charges of 55,189.34 for 3 rooms-3nights (we stayed 1 extra night). I got back to the States only to discover the hotel also charged my debit the 90,000 pesos. They lied to me. I am now waiting to see if another 60,000 pesos is charged too. We live in a large Filipino community in the U.S.A. and know so many Filipino's across the U.S.A. and I will be sure to let as many as I can know about our experience and treatment at the Oakwood in Makati. My husband waited a long time to go home to his native country and show off his country to his wife and sons. He was very proud of his country, the Philippines. Now he is ashamed for their dishonesty. By the way, the most WONDERFUL place to stay in the Philippines is Paradise Gardens in Boracay. Very beautiful, the rooms are extremely nice, and they show very much appreciation to FOREIGNERS for choosing to visit them.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Paranaque City
Reviewed 8 August 2005

Stayed there last month for a week with my family, and we all had a great time. The room was nice and spacious - complete with kitchen and washer and dryer. There's also a stereo & DVD player! The facilities are great - well-equipped gym, very nice pool, and tennis courts! The location is perfect - it's on top of a mall called Glorietta, which is one of the nicest shopping malls in the Philippines. The staff was great - very friendly and accommodating. We felt very secured and safe - thanks to the Oakwood staff who made our vacation very memorable.

7 Thank yellowtulip