“Great food and good service”
Review of Sala Restaurant

Sala Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 1,433 Restaurants in Makati
Price range: US$30 - US$100
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was our first experience of Sala and we were not disappointed. It had been recommended and it lived up to its reputation. We were part of a large group and this was catered for well with no gaps in the service. Food was excellent. Happy to recommend this quiet small but energetic restaurant.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Been here several times over the years for work or socials, but this week was one of the only times for a date... with my wife. We had twice baked souffle, truffled white risotto, grilled pork chop. We let out a quiet wow the first time we tasted each. "Not one false note," I heard myself saying as the meal progressed. By the end we were straining to remember a better meal.

1  Thank Coco A
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I have been eating there each week for the last 5 months and still love their food, service and ambience. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Nice quiet place with very good food, off the beaten path outside of Greenbelt. Nice atmosphere with very attentive service.

1  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Once again, I find myself saying “I rarely give 5 stars in a review” but Sala deserves every one of them. When we celebrated a special occasion there this week, it had been 3 or 4 years since we last visited but we were delighted to find the high standards of everything about this great restaurant were exactly as we remembered them. In Manila, consistency at this high end of the dining experience is crucial for survival and probably explains why many establishments come and go but Sala remains. For me, the group’s three restaurants in Makati have never failed to deliver.

From the first greeting at the door to the final good night, the service was outstanding – discreet, professional and worthy of fine dining in any city in the world. Throw in the Filipino capacity for warmth and friendliness and it’s hard to go wrong. The ambience is understated and elegant and the background music is just that – background (not always the case in Manila!) The food was superb; as a pair of foodies and passionate cooks, we often wish we’d stayed home and cooked for ourselves as we figure we could have done a better job but Sala have the flavour market nailed.

We started with tiny, complimentary canapés: goats cheese and chilli tomato jam pastries, which went well with our pre-dinner champagne. For appetizer, the Portobello mushroom ravioli was to die for! The seared scallops on cauliflower puree were tasty too. The roast duck breast for main was an exquisite combination of flavours and the slow braised veal cheek tasted so good, I can’t find enough great words to describe it; the colcannon mash served with it contained Brussels sprouts and bacon and was unusual and wonderful. A horseradish gremolata left my tastebuds singing with joy! For dessert we chose the rhubarb trio, which was nice, and the menu staple of pavlova – this was actually slightly more chewy than I prefer but it still tasted good. The coffee is great and the wine list holds some real gems; the Australian wines aren't just the same old tired, low-end numbers at premium prices. Prices overall are what you would expect for dining with such pizazz but they represent good value in terms of getting what you pay for.

I’m not sure why we’ve stayed away for so long (probably Manila’s notorious traffic!) but we’ll be sure to enjoy Sala more often now we’re reacquainted. For a dependably good dining experience, it’s really hard to surpass.