“..Convenient Place, Practical Hotel with Great Staff..”

Franchise One Hotel
Ranked #66 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Singapore, Singapore
“..Convenient Place, Practical Hotel with Great Staff..”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Before my flight last 13 Nov 2012, I was cramming to find a hotel in Makati. As I lived there for years, I practically know which location is convenient and safe for travellers. I saw this Franchise One and got interested because the owner of St. Illian’s Inn at the same place is basically the owner of this Franchise One. And for years I know that St. Illian’s Inn is a nice place for foreigners.

So when I reached the airport, I called them to assist if they can book for me on that same day and I was accommodated promptly. The place is definitely not so far to the airport, the giant malls like Glorietta, Landmark and SM Makati. Just walking distant, you will see the Waltermart Mall and Makati Square for cheap items.

Fast foods are around the corner and the IRD is equally nice to try. The room itself is cozy with the soft bed and pillow, clean bed sheets and towels which are very important for travelers as you only get to stay in the room in the night after one whole day of exploring the place.

The staffs are genuinely helpful and accommodating. The room got amenities like refrigerators, TV, hot and cold shower and blower. The water is excellent and you don’t have to worry about being late for your appointment. You can bathe as long as you want as it won’t run out.

The price for a night is satisfactory considering the area is in Makati. The rest of the Inns or Hotels within the area might be of the same or higher price. And personally, I’m very familiar with the place because I was once a bed spacer in Washington and Evangelista Street.

If there is a room for improvement that is the water in the bath area clogs. For two rooms I occupied, 3050 and 4050, the issue is the same. And having no lift, going to the room by stairs is not a big issue (As they assist in bringing your luggage and things!).

And the best part that any traveler should consider is the security. Being a small hotel or Inn, they can monitor closely the people coming up to the floors because they locked the gate to the rooms and it’s so great!

Room Tip: "Choose rooms on the lower floors"
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rhieo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you indeed for your glowing praise! It's noteworthyto receive this account from you because you yourself said you're from Makati previously and know the area very well. That you give praises about our inn and mention in detail why you give the good comments is the best proof that we are on target in our product/service.

You mentioned the drains of the showers being a bit slow. And also you mention you,take a long long shower and water never runs out. Also, please note the,rainmaker shower heads have incredible water flow so much so that the volume of a long,long shower could with fast flow will of. Course cause drain to fill! But so glad you enjoyed the bath! The rainmakers are truly a nice feature.

Merry Christmas. Cheers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ortigas Center, Pasig
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I just stayed at Franchise One in Makati and and found it to be a very comfortable, value hotel.

The staff were friendly, the facilities clean and orderly and the location is excellent... just a short walk away from the Makati Central Business District. The hotel has a small restaurant in the lobby that serves value meals. I had some fettachini and a sandwich, both were excellent at about US$5-6 each. I was also impressed with hotel security, which included cameras at strategic locations and a security door controlled by the receptionist, at the main entrance.

They provide free internet in the lobby and room internet service for about US$5 a day. I found my room to be clean and comfortable, nothing fancy... but very nice for the money. The restroom was also good with an excellent hot and cold shower and nice fixtures. The water pressure (which is a big deal in Manila) was also outstanding! The only downside I can report, is the hotel only has a few parking spaces. But most visitors, like myself just walk or take taxis, so is not big deal. Bottom line, I highly recommend the Franchise Inn to anyone interested in a budget hotel in downtown Makati.

During my stay I also noticed a similar hotel just down the street called St Illians Inn... I was told this is owned by the same owners, and from the looks of the lobby and from outside... it may be a good alternative, if Franchise One is fully booked.

Room Tip: Any room is good, as this is a small boutique hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Mike J
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your praises and comments about your experience at our inn! Yes it is very true that it is not enough for a hotel to put up a comfortable room and take payment for it. Guests "experience" the entire "feel" of a hotel and you have indeed captured and reported the very essence of who we are , a great value place to stay for the money! Thank you!

Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I liked this hotel because had a decent sized room with internet (via cable) for a decent price. We went there for 2 nights but ended up staying 4 nights. We had our own freezer(not a minibar, but a proper empty freezer you can use to keep your own drinks and foods). It was pretty much perfect for the money. Staff was very friendly and took the time to talk with us and even play with our son. No problems with noise(They have extra glass doors you can slide infront of your door that cancels almost any outside noise). Foods were also quite good, although a little pricey, but then again all hotel food is pricey. They have their own little in-house bakery and you can buy & order freshly baked cakes and stuff! The area around the hotell was pretty safe and there's a large mall nearby, also the nearest McDonalds is pretty close if you want something totally cheap and not local. They had a minivan available for hire that took us to airport at 2am which is nice because using a random cab at the night just didn't felt safe enough for us. But the surrounding area of the hotel felt very safe and secure.

There was no pen and paper in the room. No elevator but at least it had wide stairs(our room was on the 2'nd floor so no problems with that) so handicapped people my find it troublesome.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are easily accessible and you don't notice the people passing because...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Reigo_R
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Sir—

Thank you for appreciating our efforts to assure a quiet sleep for you! Yes everything you mentioned is indeed true—we installed the added sliding glass door over the already stiff steel door of each room to make sure guests in hallways conversing and otherwise making a noise going to their rooms at night is minimized. Thank you for noticing this as we’ve often wondered if the expense was worth it!

On everything else, it’s a very objective review you posted and we thank you for being so fair in this. Often times, one small detail is missed and the comments zero in on this one negative and forget all the other positives of the experience. Please do return and mention this review—we’re bound to appreciate it with a free breakfast since you said you like our food too!

New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed here twice, each time for one night. I chose this hotel because the reviews said it was quiet, clean and close to the airport. I found all this true. The attached cafe served very good food, the best that I experienced in my week in the Philippines. although a hot breakfast wasn't available for me at 5 am, the coffee made up for it. The hotel is very conscientious about keeping the hallways quiet and the windows do a good job on keeping street noise out. The mattress was comfortable, there was a room safe and fridge, I didn't use either. The doorman made sure that I got a cab in the morning for the airport and wrote down all the important info that helps keep the cab driver honest. If you take a metered taxi and ask them to use the 'skyway' it will cost between 150 and 200 php, plus the 35 php toll. Do expect that the cabbie may need to look up directions, the hotel is very close to the exit ramp. You need to provide the full address including the cross street. Don't use google map for directions, it will give you a long route.
I took a walk around the neighbourhood during daylight hours and didn't feel uncomfortable.
But the best part of my visit was the honesty of the staff. I left my money belt in the room with 4000 php and over one hundred US dollars in it. I would not have realized this until I got to the airport. I was about 15 mins into my breakfast when a staff member brought it to me, every cent still in the belt.

Room Tip: Had room 4070 and 5010 - both very quiet. Think all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ginger I
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
First of all, thank you very much for your glowing review. A few items you mentioned are noteworthy—

Yes, we do make a quiet sleep for guests a priority. Sleep quality is after all, the most important thing in a hotel room. Thank you for noticing the numerous facility provisions for this.

Yes, our coffee shop does not begin serving hot meals till 6 AM. We find that very few travelers want a big breakfast that early as they are bleary eyed and only wish to catch an early flight quickly. Glad to hear you liked our expresso machine which puts out real freshly ground bean brews.

Yes our food is truly studied by management—all dishes originate from our personal home kitchen. We create the dish; put it in a recipe book which is strictly adhered to by all our cooks to ensure consistent delivery of the quality ingredients and cooking method.

Yes we write down taxi plate numbers and hand to you when we catch a cab for you so you have some recourse should you forget luggage in the cab. Just another way we care for guests.

And most of all, a resounding yes to our honest staff. We give lots of company benefits and look after the employees’ welfare as best as we can within budgetary limits of course. They are much happier and value their jobs just that much more. As a result, we find a happier crew makes for better service to guests and your comments about this is our final payback. Thank you for noticing and taking the time to appreciate our efforts.

Your review was shared to all and I am trying to determine who it was that found and returned your money belt. I would like to personally reward that person. Do you remember who it was? What gender and what time? We can easily trace who it was and any inputs would be helpful. You may email me directly through the tripadvisor page email provision.

Many, many thanks and please come stay with us again.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We arrived into Manila just after midnight. We wanted something close to the airport as we were flying out to Cebu that morning so we chose one of the cheapest airport hotels on Expedia. I even put our arrival details in the booking.

Before leaving Australia, I emailed the hotel to reconfirm our booking and confirmed we needed a late check in.

When we tried to check into the hotel, they advised us our room was given away and there were no more rooms available to accommodate 3 adults.

They tried calling their sister hotels and it wasn't until just before 2am they were able to get us a room at Makati Inn. By then I was furious they had misplaced our booking (their colleague had received our booking and filed it away without actioning it!) and we were all extremely tired. We made it clear to them that the hotel would have to pay for our taxi to the next hotel due to the inconvenience.

We weren't charged for the error and Makati Inn may have been a better hotel than Franchise One but when you have a flight to catch in a few hours the last thing you need is incompetent service plus a taxi driving trying to rip you off thinking the guests will pay the P300 pesos fare which the hotel claims should only be P50 because it's literally down the road!

Our room in Makati Inn was nothing special. It was a big room with no windows. We opted to wait til we got to Cebu to use the bathroom as the bathroom in Makati Inn could definitely do with a good scrub.

If you want convenience and something close to the Airport, best to try Nichols Airport Hotel which was recommended by family. It's closer to the airport and they have plenty of clean rooms.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank SamDownUnder
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Greetings,

In this instance I will must apologize for misplacing this reservation with Expedia. It was indeed through the negligence of our staff in encoding this particular reservation properly and while the person responsible for the mistake was already dismissed last month for numerous and various other grievances, it is still nevertheless still our ultimate culpability in the matter. I apologize for the error.

On the other matters, I think we have resolved this directly with the complainant via emails but so the public may know in open forum—

1) We did in fact pay for the cab fare to our other branch, which is literally, one kilometer away and walkable in any instance. Of course we did transfer by cab and no overcharging the customer occurred; either with the cab nor with rooms or anything related to this booking. Why the customer included this in her complaint is anyone’s guess but perhaps a disgruntled complainant will pad the bad pie to make the eating of it just that more worse.

2) It is not difficult to inspect only 24 rooms so I personally inspected all 24 bathrooms at our branch and while these were not, repeat, not spotless-- I would not encourage anyone to eat off the floor; they nevertheless were not in a state so foul as this complainant suggests, to fore-go having a shower in. The water was hot, the free toiletries in place, clean towels supplied and the overall condition acceptable for the intended purpose - a good hot quick shower.

3) On the rooms having no windows, I have already addressed this in a similar complaint and will reiterate why we opted for closing out the windows. The street is very central and very busy and well traversed by both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. As such, we instead opted to seal off the rooms from all city noise by entirely closing up the windows. We favored the option of providing a quiet sleep over a non-descript city view. If this were a beach resort, then perhaps, the window view would win over a quieter sleep.

In closing, I sincerely apologize for the mistake both privately in direct emails with the complainant and publicly in this open forum. If it is any consolation to would-be future guests who may be turned off by this complaint-- the overbooking is due to the fact that we do have many repeat guests who are indeed served well and like it well enough to return.

Nevertheless, in this instance, there is no excuse, no matter how busy we may be, and I am sorry we did not take this particular reservation properly just as we have done over thousands of times before over the 12 years in successful running of three inns of the same category. I sincerely apologize for making this error. We take the mistake seriously and have likewise instituted a more seamless method for handling reservations.

Travellers are raving about these Makati hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2012

If you leave a light on in the bathroom, the cockroaches will stay in hiding. Now these aren't the thumb-sized variety, but they do share the same family tree and there are lots of them. And if you're unfortunate enough to end up here (we chose it because of its proximity to the airport) do yourself a favour and eat elsewhere. As an example, the menu description for fish & chips went something like, "...fish in our own lightly seasoned beer batter and freshly cut fries." What landed on my plate was an agglomeration of some kind of fish, rather like an oversized hockey puck and definitely NOT battered. As for the chips, well they were chips alright - as in potato chips. The server seemed quite surprised when I turned it back. Truly awful! And my wife's stir fried vegetables were swimming in soy sauce. No prize there, either.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Calgary68
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Well thats a first time complaint about that and we will definitely look into it.

By the way, we are installing glass sliding doors on ALL existing room doors in order to block out noise coming from inconsiderate guests talking loudly in halls on the way to their rooms. The disturbance was complained about in another review and am letting you all know we act on all complaints.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The hotel is situated at very close to shopping malls. Food is everywhere which is nearby hotel. The only downfall of this hostel is that the room and bed is quite small. I felt a bit uncomfy during my sleep and the toilet might not be suitable to a big built. The restaurant serves good food, very nice and friendly service. Overall the experience staying in this hotel is good.

Room Tip: corner room will be a quiet place as the room is not sound proofed.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank bkk_jl
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Reviewer-

Thanks for recommending others to check in at our inn!

May I ask What room did you stay in that you said was not too quiet? All our rooms have double glazed glass panes to block out city noise from outside. So did you still hear outside noise? Or was noise coming from hallways from people using the halls to get to their rooms?

And thank you again for liking our in house food service. All our meals are quality controlled by us, the managers and owners as we eat there on a daily basis too. Our condiments are the best, example. only olive oil is used, not the cheap stuff, to bring out extra flavor and keep away the trans-fats from low end oils.