“Great hostel”

Our Melting Pot
London, United Kingdom
“Great hostel”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Good hostel, very clean and staff very friendly. It is about the same price as a cheap hotel, but you get the communal vibe here. Breakfast is great. You are also in the best location in Manila, on Makati avenue.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Real, Quezon
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I just discovered this place last September and I've been in this place for 7 times already! My purpose of staying here is to try out the local hosteling scene and I am NOT disappointed. It's like my second home already and since I discovered the place - I've been ditching a lot of invitations from family and friends to stay on their homes and the hotel managers that I know in Manila have just declared me a persona-non-grata for totally ignoring them lately. LOL.

Pros:

1. Customer Service & staff - working in customer service sector for so long, this is one thing that I really appreciate when doing business. Kudos to Chateau and her team: Grace, Elvie, Onin, Jhie, Rolly and to others whom I can't recall right now. These people are really professional when dealing with people and situations. No matter what your race or status is, they always treat you equally and serve you with passion and energy that you seldom get from generic hotels. To sum it up, they are the exact people I would like to hire if ever I'd put up a hostel business.

2. Cleanliness - I live in a house where dust and dirt do not have a place and with the same standard as my mom with cleanliness, I can say that this place is really well-maintained. From the rooms, to the toilet and bath to kitchen to the communal area, you can tell that the place is really well run.

3. Location & Safety - you are literally in the middle of everything. As we call it in Filipino, isang tambling lang from everything. A-venue Mall is just across the road, it is close to the bars, banks and good restos, Ayala Center, Rockwell, Makati Business District etc. I know many tourists who prefer Intramuros area because - well of Intramuros. But from Makati, Intramuros is just around 20-30 mins depending on traffic and after seeing it once, I can't think of a reason why stay in Manila area longer. Makati is less chaotic and way safer than Manila. Manila has always been the 'shady' and crowded part of the metro while Makati is the hip and fancy area.

4. Value - it maybe not as cheap as the hostels in Thailand and other countries, but this is so far is the best hostel I've been. I have tried some of the 'best hostels' in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia based on reviews and no one comes close to this hostel so far if we're talking about what you get on a price. And if I will compare it to price that I used to spend in hotels, I'm just paying 5-20% of that price. So it's really a steal for me ;)

5. Melting Pot - I know some hostels that claim to be a melting pot of some sort but I have just truly understand the meaning of the word when I first came here. When I first booked a mixed room, I was really hesitant but it turned out to be one of the best decisions in my life. I won't be able to meet great friends from different races and backgrounds if I didn't do it. It is a norm that the guy/ girl that you're talking could be a social worker from Japan or a high ranking military official from Israel or a businessman from Australia, a German teacher from China, a banker from New York, a hippie from Holland, a lawyer from Malaysia or a student from UK. Tons of interesting characters there for sure. The hostel is also set up with the words social and interaction on the designer's mind. It's really hard not to talk to your fellow guests when you're in communal area and with jolly Filipino staff, you're in for a crazy conversation! And if you're a culture vulture like me, you'll appreciate it!

6. Activities and Fun - the hostel provide FREE tours! You only get to spend for fares, your food, and other stuff that you might need but you can split it with other guests as well. Always check out the activity board for some of these scheduled tours. If there's a TRUE Manila tour, just join and don't be afraid of trying something out of your comfort zone.

7. Privacy - when we're talking about hostel, privacy has become the less concern. I am a very private person and I'm not used of sharing a room with anyone even when I was studying in college and this was my main issue when I first tried a hostel 3 months ago. But with dorm beds equipped with curtains, sharing a room with strangers isn't that bad.

Cons:

I would only provide some cons to give an honest review but I really find it trivial. It is something that I wish the hostel can improve but for me personally, it is not really a big deal.

1. Personal light and electrical sockets - so it would be easier to charge personal devices and no need to turn on the main light to avoid disturbing your room mates (its not a problem for me but I noticed that some people are really light sleeper)

2. Variation on breakfast - they only provide a continental breakfast and its enough for a light eater like me. However, if you stay more than 3 days and have tried everything in their table, this can cause a problem to a person with a choosy stomach like me :). I've been in the place for 7 times already and tried all their selections. How I wish they can provide some pancakes, butter, a different type of bread and fruits haha. (Elvie, banana na naman???! haha)

Okay, time to pack my backpack to go back to the hostel :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank trigger_elf
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 9 October 2013

when we first arrived to manila we looked for a place which will help us plan our trip the way we want. we wanted to meet people and maybe share information and their good company. we found it!!! lots of thanks to omp... we will definitely come again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

First of all, we came to this place after the recommendation here. After there were no rooms, the great staff assisted us in calling and escorting us to a different hostel in the area.
We also took the Manila tour to the old city from 1400-2000 (it's free!). It's a good way to pass half a day if you are waiting for your flight. The tour was very organized and very informative for anyone who wanted to know more details on the Philippines and how to get along in the city of Manila in terms of weather, traffic etc.
The tour was great and we enjoyed it alot! The crew was also very assisting and kind. We havn't slept there, but we certainly will next time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2013

After staying in several places in the PI's, I'd definately have to say that this is by far one of the best places I've seen. Very community oriented and friendly people located in the heart of Makati business district. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have been staying at OMP for three weeks now and it 100% feels like home. From the moment you walk in the staff could not be friendlier or more attentive. They treat you like you are staying at a five-star hotel. Breakfast is fantastic and the rooms and bathrooms are kept immaculate all of the time by the hard-working staff. The wifi works great as well as the air-con in the rooms. It is a great place to meet fun people but at the same time it is never too loud in the hostel, simply fun and welcoming. OMP is in a great location in Makati, near restaurants and nightlife, and the free tours that OMP offers are a great way to see the city!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo