“Modern Filipino food”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Manila, Phils
“Modern Filipino food”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

The best pork binagoongan!

This is another favorite filipino resto. I cant remember ordering a dish that I didnt like. Although the pork binagoongan will always be my super favorite dish, i also love the baby squid in olive oil, the honey patis chicken.

The -1 in my rating is for the size of the table. It is so small compared to the size of the plates. The place is also too cramped. as much as i love the food, on days when I am stressed, I will not go to this resto

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Jose, California
“Great food, even the flies agreed”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I came here during a very hot day, they had extra fans going and lighted candles to ward off the flies...but that didn't work. I saw a whole bunch land on other people's food, needless to say my appetite was affected. Food was "okay" and the service was "a little below 'okay' " Nothing I would write home about.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Morgan L
Chicago, Illinois
“Food was good, but give me some room!!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Dinner time while walking around Greenbelt. Called my friend for a restaurant recommendation and he told me about Mesa. The atmosphere is very nice and the décor is very modern. I have good expectation about tonight's dinner. Then, they sat us in a table that is about 15" X 15". This table is ok if we are ordering coffee and donuts, but to have dinner?? Worst of all, there is about 5" distance from our table to the next table. We could hear the next table conversation and food chewing as if they are part of our party. We decided to order not as much dishes because we know it will not fit in the table. But even with our meager 3 dishes we are still having a hard time navigating our forks and spoons to have a descent meal. The waitress who is standing right besides us can see our struggle but decide to ignore us. Never once came to our table to ask if we needed anything or how was the food. I left disgusted and vow to never return again.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank letstravel51705
Quezon City, Philippines
“:P”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

1st time to eat Steamed Okra in shrimp paste and tamarind side by side with Grilled Liempo and Baby Squid in Garlic and Olive Oil. The feeling is a bit different but nevertheless I enjoyed it. :)

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Winsor_wonsir
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good Food. Nice on your Pocket.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family and I had the pleasure of dining at Mesa numerous times throughout our summer vacation/reunion in Manila recently. We ate in Mesa’s Greenbelt 5, SM Aura and Megamall branches, and the quality of their food is more or less consistent.

There’s a reason why this place, no matter the branch, is always packed with hungry patrons waiting for their taste buds to be titillated and their tummies satiated. Mesa serves familiar and yet surprising fares (yes, Filipino food with a twist) at affordable prices. For instance, their Crispy Boneless Pata is as delectable as any (crispy skin and moist, tender meat) without the hassle of picking the bones, and cooked ala morcon (without the filling). Served in a Martini glass, their mangga salad is both very appetizing and refreshing.

For the soup, we tried the Seafood Bean Curd Wansoy Soup (very flavorful) and their Chicken Binakol (similar to Chicken Tinola/chicken soup with papaya, but with coconut). We loved both but if I have to choose, I’d go with the first one because of its subtle yet satisfying flavors.

Next off, we tried their Baked Tahong with Cheese (I can eat this all day), Kare-Kare (with creamy peanut sauce and served with delicious bagoong), Crispchon (delectable lechon served individually in pandan crepe and with garnishing), Inihaw Sampler (this is great for sharing—grilled chicken leg, squid, liempo, bangus belly, mussels, shrimp and pork), Laing 2 Ways (a bit salty for my taste), Crispy Boneless Tilapia with 4 Sauces (nothing really special except that it’s crispy and cut into bite-size cubes), and lastly, Baked Scallops with Garlic Butter (a little too rich for me, but still really good when eaten in moderation).

Desserts are quite good as well. We had their Crispy Leche Flan, another bestseller, which was served turon-style and drizzled with caramel syrup and garnished with sesame seed. The flan inside is creamy while the pastry roll is crispy. But I’m really partial to the original banana turon and the simple yet decadent leche flan, so I can’t say that this dessert was the highlight of our dining experience. We also tried their Cassava Cake and it was oh-so-soft, moist, sticky and not dense like other varieties—truly just the way I like it.

If you’re jonesing for Pinoy food, go and try Mesa. It’s simply good food that will not put a dent in your pocket.

• Visited June 2014