“Nice place to stay”
Review of Saint Illians Inn

Saint Illians Inn
Ranked #17 of 40 Makati B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I'm a little late getting to this review...We booked a room at Saint Illians a bit last minute (maybe a week or two before departure), after there was a mix up at another hotel. Pretty much everything else was booked...so I was a little nervous about what I would find when I got to St. Illians. But I was very pleasantly surprised! The building is very nice and has a lot of character. The staff was very pleasant and helpful whenever I asked one of my bazillion questions. The rooms were basic, but clean and comfortable. Our room was waaay at the very tippy top of the building, and the winding staircase to the top is a bit narrow...it would be really challenging with large luggage I would think. People who have difficulty getting around may find the amount of stairs a bit challenging. We ate breakfast at the cafe in the main floor each morning, and it was very tasty. The only negative is that the hotel is a bit hard to find. And the neighborhood seems a bit seedy at night...but they have a security guard so the hotel always felt very safe. They made our short stay very pleasant...I would return!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank thegreatpumpkin
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Sorry for the late reply to your nice comments about us. And also, thank you for replying to my private email asking you to share why you found our neighborhood to be a "bit seedy." It was good information to know why you felt this.

The whole Manila Metropolis is funny that way. One street may look pleasant and clean depending on the occupants of that street, then the next street over is a stark contrast again depending on who lives there. And yes, our neighborhood does get seedy as you venture deeper into the center, moving towards the railroad tracks. And conversely, as you move outwards even by just one street over, that street is a main avenue with first class condos and business establishments, restaurants, malls, and so on.

Our street, Santillan , is pleasant enough and recently, the local government installed three times as many lamp posts which really brightens up the way leading up and down Santillan. The back entrance of The Oriental Gardens Condo faces our front door now and thus, Santillan is kept clear of vagrants and the like, pretty much all of the time now.

But anyone venturing towards the railroad tracks is asking for trouble. The neighborhood towards that area easily degrades quite quickly. It seems you're the adventurous type and curious too about how the,"other" side of the tracks lives like! And by the look of your profile pics, quite attractive too. You can expect attention from the beer crowd in those parts as they're NOT accustomed to seeing the likes of such prettiness around their street! Anyway, glad you enjoyed your stay,and do come back... Just refrain from exploring the tracks!

Reviewed 16 September 2012

This is a five storey hotel with about 36 rooms. It is on a back street of a fast improving area in Makati, not one that many taxi drivers seem to know. Some also do not know the barangay of Pio del Pilar in which Saint Illian's is located.

My checkin was extremely slow. The girl said 'wait' a couple of times. This area needs attention from management.

Steep stairs that would not be permitted in Australia were encountered on the way to my 'second' (first in Australia) floor room.

The room was pleasant with a near new large size plasma television, good lighting, a round table with two nice partly upholstered in red chairs and a small additional wallside table with one wooden chair.

The bathroom was small but adequate, although the water was tepid. However in the tropics this is OK.

The bed was small, probably called a 'double' but anyone of 180 centimetres or above might find it unacceptable. Its quality was reasonable.

There was little or no street noise during the night.

I paid extra for breakfast: a nice blueberry pancake.

There was loits of rain from 0345 to 0900: the street flooded but the water subsided. The older receptionist Cecile was pleasant in the morning and told me 'the waters will subside' which sure enough they did. However the City of Makati needs to address the flooding: it should dig up the street and construct proper drains: no doubt not cheap but warranted with the number of new apartments going up in the fast developing Philippines.

Overall this is very good, clean accommodation. By the way, the rooms seem to be solidly constructed as the room next to me had an older Filipino couple who I did not hear at all.

It's a good value place, probably better than the Tune type of 'hotel' that charges extra for aircon and other creature comforts such as towels.

The building also has a nice inner courtyard design which the passageways look on to.

I also met the proprietor who is a lovely man.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Victorianlad
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for that very objective and fair review. Everything you said was correct and impartial. On the slow check in we will ask the person what the unusual hold up was and will email to you her answer.

Hope your journeys take you back round again as it was interesting to converse with you and get your viewpoint of how a foreigner would see the Philippines. And by the look it, you've travelled throughout our islands even more than I have, and your explorations and opinions thereof very illuminating. See us again please!

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I've been staying in the hotel for a few night while visiting in the Philippines. The place is located in a small side street (I can even say an alley), and the taxi driver was not able to find it for a long time, so make sure to have a map with you, so you will be able to navigate or show it to the taxi driver.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and very quiet. We had air conditioning, a TV, hot water and clean towels as well. The Hotel is located very close to the greenbelt mall, which is a very big and beautiful shopping center, but I would not recommend walking from the hotel to the mall, due to the traffic and air pollution, just take a 5 minutes taxi. However, for many people arriving to Manila, the hotel will be quite far from other attraction, such as the famous Asia mall (a ride of at least 40 minutes from the hotel). In addition, the hotel is also very close to the International airport (about 20 minutes), which proved to be very comfortable. The hotel has a small restaurant and a cafeteria, which was really nice, and the food was ok.

Room Tip: Visit the greenbelt mall which is located very close to the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adir C
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for the good review... But our street is not an alley, even if it may look like one. It's a secondary street, is 8 meters wide with sidewalks on either side of 1 meter each. Main roads are 10 meters wide. Avenues 12 meters.

On our street parking is Allowed on only one side of the street so it's always passable. The sidewalks though in the entire metro Manila are a concern for the authorities regarding sidewalk vendors who sell everything from shoes to fruits from carts messing up pedestrian walk ways and contributing to traffic. On our street we have ony 2 vendors and they stop only on the corner where pedestrian traffic is high. The only way to get rid of the problem is supply/demand economics. If we want the vendors to disappear, then we have to stop buying their super cheap products and produce. Sadly though, since they pay no rent, their goods are way lower than market prices so they continue to sell and be a problem.

All your other comments are correct and wil help other travellers, especially good,to print out a map in any case in ALL your travels. See you again and thanks for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed for the night in this inn with my friends just for a weekend out in Makati. From the phone call I made to reserve a room, I was already impressed because Marie was accommodating and very professional. (However, I had to make a second phone call and spoke with Shane and after she answered my 1st question, she immediately hung up as I was still asking my second question and I'm not sure if she was able to input my request because when we got there, we had to wait for some time for this request to be arranged). Even in person, Marie was professional but still warm. From the facade, to the lobby, to the stairs and the balconies and of course until we got to our room, I was pleased with the "feel" or the ambiance of St. Illian's. It was also quiet and I was able to feel a sense of privacy. If I see a staff member in the hallway, they would greet me and smile. We never ordered food (because we dined out) but their menu is complete and also inviting. I didn't expect a fridge for the rate but they have one. The A/C unit they have in the rooms is impressive when you think about the room rate. The mattresses are very comfortable and we all loved the thick blankets. In the morning, we have food delivered from outside which was assisted up by their own coffee shop staff and when I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised by the warm smile of that lady staff, wish I took her name. It was something I really appreciated early in the morning. I would love to go back with my husband next time for a weekend date in Makati.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Reign-o
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, Marie and Shane.  Also for mentioning the politeness ands courtesy of all others who you had the opportunity to react with  in the halls, as well as the coffee server who smiled nicely when delivering coffee!  That probably was Rochielle.. She has perfect teeth that matches a nice complexion with a personality that rounds it all out!

Marie has been with us for 12 years so she knows what she's doing hence the ability to remain professional while being sincerely,friendly at the same time, a trait very hard to come by these days for sure.  Shane did not hang up, the line was terminated by Pldt trunk service.  It happens oh, perhaps 15 percent of the time.  I too have been cut off when calling and I've redialed and asked why they hung up one me and realized its not us doing it.  It's the phone lines... Sorry!

And on all the guest amenities you spoke so well of, thanks for noticing these. We have inverters for a.c. So they run super quiet and cool.. They were expensive to purchase, install and maintain but judging from your reaction, it's an investment well spent. Thank you!  We aim to please and the quietness and privacy are actually the hallmark of our inn, and even our. Mission statement contain references to these qualities that we strive to provide all guests.

Please come back and try our menu items.  All are designed and cooked in house according to strict adherence to a recipe book. With quality fresh ingredients priced reasonably.  That way you can write a separate review for the food alone!

Muchas gracias, y , Cheers!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

This quaint little inn is a pleasant surprise with clean and comfortable rooms. Bathroom is tiny but OK. The computer with free internet at the reception area and the DVD along with TV in the room are the positive features of this inn. I never had food there, so cannot comment on the same. It is located very close to Water Mart and short distance from shopping malls of Makati. The staff was ever smiling and outstandingly polite. Management should work on proper digital safe lockers in the rooms. . I do agree with other reviews mentioning about non-availability of lift, cramped shower etc. However, this Inn is a perfect place for those who want to spend the night in the hotel and tour the city during day time!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DinRa
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Tripadvisor

Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you very much for your kind words.  You truly did hit the nail on the head in your description of our inn. It's exactly what we endeavor to be.

On your suggestions we will definitely work on.  Many thanks!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Stayed overnight in this inn because I needed to be in the office early the next day. Service is great. Room is clean and cozy. Food is cheap yet tasty. Inn is near commercial establishments and a ride away from Ayala Center and Ayala Avenue.

Overall, we had a nice stay in this inn. We'll definitely be back in case I need to stay overnight in Makati again.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 308 which is at the end of the hallway. Room location is preferred if you want a quie...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tin_Manila
MZINNSGeneralManager, Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

We can never grow tired of receiving praise! Your comments never cease to uplift our spirits and when we post your comments all over our electronic bulletin board for all our staff to see, it serves to further bolster our commitment to our work.

Thank you truly for appreciating our efforts. Thank you very much indeed.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I always go back to St. Illians as this INN offers what we are looking for: Very Quiet, Very Clean, Friendly and professional staff, affordable rate, Excellent Service.

St. Illians is like a second home for us whenever my husband and I are in Makati, We stayed there many times since 2010. Staff are very respectful to all the guests. They offer equal and quality service to every guest.

There is no doubt that I will recommend you to my friends. Continue your excellent service. Cheers!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ruby Manazh A
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Mrs.,

Thank you from the bottom of our collective hearts!  Although we train our staff in guest service, the attitude of respect stems from first our Filipino Culture. While we as a people have negative traits to be downplayed for sure, we do indeed have some very good ones.  Respect for others is one of them.

Secondly, work is hard to find in these parts so when a person is gainfully employed, most strive very hard to keep their jobs.  Hence, they tread very carefully in eschewing complaints which could merit dismissal.  While this is not true in all cases, it is safe to generalize that it is true for most.

Thirdly, and this is where your praise is most felt by management,  we take good care of our staff in all possible ways, from providing company sponsored R & R on a regular basis, to providing support for dental and health care way, way over and beyond what is prescribed by law, to giving weekly rice and groceries benefits on a scalar basis-- all add up to making an employee feel needed, valued and RESPECTED.  This in turn we have found, makes them more sincerely caring and respectful and mindful of who actually pays their benefits-- YOU the customer.

So when you offer praise like this, it is posted all over our electronic bulletin board for all to bask in.  You have made our collective day!  Thank you and welcome home!