“Really Delighted To Serve!”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 24 June 2008

This review has been long overdue. I've been busy and could not find the time to write this. However, I've seen that there have been a lot of reviews for this hotel and I do agree that the hotel needs a little upgrading (especially the really old TV set that the room had). I would also like to point out an important missing piece on the side of the toilet (something that has a hose and a nozzle) coz it was quite a chore to do the CHORE, if you know what I mean.

This a hotel worthy of a couple of compliments... Again, we ventured into the heart of the Makati Business District for a long weekend. Upon arrival an the hotel, you can tell that they take security seriously. They have K-9 units, metal detectors and security personnel to check your belongings as you enter the premises. I was greeted by one of the friendly staff members who led me to the front desk to check-in. I was then assisted by another friendly staff member (April, I think) and the process did not take long. At the most it was about 7-10 mins. max. Finally, I was then directed to the elevators where I got off on the 16th floor.

The view from this room was good. I had a great panoramic view of the Makati business district and the Greenbelt shopping center (which was right across). Everything was within walking distance: The Landmark, Glorietta, SM Makati, and the other interesting places in the vicinity. It was good because you didn't need to get into a cab and find yourself stuck in the Makati traffic.

Although for all it's PRO's, the few CON's would be the banged up old TV, the lack of a bidet (or whatever you call it), and the obnoxious teenagers at the pool (which the pool staff did not reprimand for being too loud and kept jumping into the pool even though there are signs indicating "NO DIVING").

Overall, I would say that we had a great 3-day stay at this hotel. I can't complain about the security and the staff. Everywhere you went, you were always greeted with a warm smile and a wonderful greeting (morning, afternoon, or evening). I guess if I had to do it all over again, I might go for a different room, but I would still want the same staff there. I really felt that the staff took care of us and treated us like VIP's. It was really a great experience from a great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DrHouseMd

Reviewed 26 May 2008

I like this hotel's location but will not stay there again simply because of the security. I am a white foreigner and my fiancee is a Filipina, and for some reason security thought it was a good idea to stop us enroute to our room every day and insist that I go reregister my fiancee at the front desk. I was registered for a room for two, and my fiancee and I were both usually dressed nicely. They seemed to imply that because she was a Filipina and I was white that she was a prostitute and must be registered for my protection. It was embarrassing and a hassle the first night and utterly humiliating the second and third nights there. The security types seemed to form a gauntlet around us the minute we walked through the door, and they even stood between us and the elevator and would not let us go around. By our last night there, my Finacee was so humiliated that she insisted that we not leave the room for dinner because she didn't want to be embarrassed yet again on the way back to the room.

I observed in the lobby many Filipinas with Filipino men going unimpeded to the elevator, and Japanese men doing the same. Apparently they enjoy hassling white foreigners with local women.

I don't mind at all having my bag searched as I enter the hotel, but when they stop a mixed race couple to apparently "protect" the guy from a girl half his size, and do not let him pass without being pushed to the front desk to prove they are a couple, this crosses the line.

White men with Filipina wives or girlfriends, avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Zlanger
Reviewed 6 May 2008

The Makati Renaissance is a five star hotel in the heart of Makati. It is across the street from a mega-complex for shopping and dining called Greenbelt/Glorietta. In this regard, it is convenient. It is also a five minute walk to the Ayala MRT station to make mass transit a easy convenience.

I stayed there on a last second booking for work and was satisfied, if not overly impressed, with the facility. It is a spacious lobby with alot of bells and whistles. The concierge and front office staff were professional and nice.

It is part of the Marriot chain which may factor into some people's decision where to stay.

The room was fine with a flat screen TV, quality bedding (queen only though...boo hoo) and marble bath with shower and separate tub. It was clean.

The strteet noise could be easily heard, unfortunately, on our initial sixth floor room. They did transfer us with little trouble to a more satisfactory 14th floor venue on request.

The two main drawbacks were price ($150+ with all the taxes and service charges included w/o breakfasts) and really lousy meals at Boccarino's. Their interesting version of phad thai would have made heads spin in Bangkok.

The pool and health club were really nice and well maintained.

I guess I am just lamenting the drop of the dollar and the rise in prices at luxury hotels in Manila, in general. It is a fine hotel, but for the price, nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Goodpace
Reviewed 20 April 2008

I stayed for two nights for a business meeting and was very impressed by the service and facilities of this hotel. The location in Makati is excellent, being opposite one of the upmarket shopping malls. Security is good. The restaurants at the hotel give excellent service - the ground floor coffee shop was being renovated. The pool area is nicely done and affords plenty of space to relax. The club lounge is currently being renovated, but the breakfast I had there beforehand was excellent. The rooms are large and well furnished. All the staff were friendly. Check in and check out were both a breeze. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Manila.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank FrequentFrier
Reviewed 14 April 2008

A great above average business class hotel. As nice as any I have used in Germany, Canada or elsewhere. Good service, large comfortable and clean rooms. Reliable internet. Very good security, and just a few steps from the Greenbelt Mall. Greenbelt has all the bars, upscale stores, restaurants and nightlife all within a secure area. I stayed two nights, got in after midnight, walked to the nearby 24 hour McDonalds at about 2am and all was good. I will stay here everytime I come to Manila.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hypnoticrichard
Reviewed 28 February 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights in January. I have to say that service at this hotel is outstanding. They were so good, it often felt like they were smothering you thats only because I am use to American levels of customer service.

The room was really clean but the furnishings look tired and dated. The hotel needs to invest in replacing the furnishing and tv. The TV they had in the room was pretty old. We had problems with one of our drawers not opening and closing properly. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

The bed was nice and comfortable. The pictures shown in Tripadvisor are pretty accurate for the standard rooms. The pictures on the Marriott website dont even look close to what is there. False advertising by Marriott.

The gym has some really nice equipment. Treadmills, stair climber, elliptical machine, and stationary bikes. Gym is fully stocked with water and towels for your use. They will ask you for your room number and check it against registration for security reasons. The locker room in the gym has spa quality soaps and shampoos, a wet and dry sauna, and a comfortable changing area. Absolutely spotless. They have cardio classes every evening on the weekdays in the cardio room.

Hotel has a pool but we didnt use it. Room service was pretty good. Pretty typical Marriott-based food. It was good to have a real American burger one time during our stay.

The hotel is across the street to the upscale shopping mall called Greenbelt. Also very close to Glorietta mall and SM Makati City. There are many dining options close by.

The hotel has its own private security staff. Security staff are also very helpful. We got in a taxi at the hotel and we didnt notice that the meter was not set to zero. The security guard would not let the taxi leave the hotel property until he reset the meter.

The hotel automatically adds a 10% surcharge to all your food and beverage purchases. I wasnt sure if this is "tip" to the server but we also added on a cash tip of 5% to make sure it went directly to the server. Life is tough in the Philippines, every peso helps to many who struggle to get by in the Philippines.

I would like to warn you that if you plan on exchanging money at the hotel register or any other place in the Philippines, plan on brining nice "crisp and new" bills. They wont accept wrinkle ones or ones with small tears. That was frustrating.

We got a average nightly rate of $140. Be aware that the taxes are very high in the Philippines and consider that your budget.

Overall, we would stay here again when we go back to the Philippines.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alexsndiego
Reviewed 12 January 2008

I stayed at the Renaissance on two occasions during my trip to the Philippines (Dec 28-31 and Jan 6-8). Both times I was treated to exceptional service and fine accomodations.

Location: Extremely convenient! Right across a small road from Greenbelt 3 (part of an expansive, higher end shopping mall with lots of restaurants and bars/lounges), and Landmark, Shoemart and Glorietta are a short walk away. If you're not leaving Makati, you won't even need a car to get around. Ask for a room on the Greenbelt side and you'll be treated to a view of the Makati skyline and the pool/terrace on the 4th floor.

Checking in: Like most hotels in Makati, all vehicles are stopped for security check before entering the driveway and you must also go through a security check before entering the hotel (bomb sniffing dogs check your baggage and you go through a metal detector). I didn't mind, as these measures were for everyone's safety. The hotel lobby is lofty and there are a multitude of staff members that greet you. There is even a waterfall by the stairs. Check-in was quick and easy and soon enough we were in our room.

The room: We had requested 2 beds, but were given one large bed. I called down and within 15-20 minutes were taken to a different room with 2 beds one floor below. Word of warning, the 2 beds are not like the ones in the states (where you can sleep 2 people in each). They are singles. There was also a small couch and easy chair in the room. Overall, the room is very spacious, with built-in closet, safe, refrigerator, desk, etc. You do have to use a key card to activate the lighting and air conditioning (all controlled through a central unit on the bedside table). The beds were comfy and there were plenty of pillows. The bathroom was decked out in marble with separate tub and shower. You are provided with an amenity kit with toothbrush, sewing kit, shower cap, etc.

Services: The gym was great! The staff members were very helpful and gracious. The cardio room had really new bikes, treadmills and eliptical trainers. There was a smaller room with spinning bikes and resistance balls. There was also a separate weight room with newer looking machines. The locker rooms were very clean and well maintained. There is a steamroom and sauna. You can finish off your workout with a shower using their amazing "rain" showerheads. The pool (accesible from the gym, by taking the stairs to the 4th floor) is great on a hot day (the water is cold!) and there is a bar on the terrace in case you just want to relax by the pool.

There is a business center off the lobby, but computer usage (for internet) is 330 pesos for 1/2 an hour. It is easier and cheaper to find an internet cafe nearby for a fraction of the cost (there is one at Glorietta where it's 30 pesos for 1/2 an hour). There are shops adjacent to the hotel which include a salon, travel agency and boutique. Starting Jan. 1, most of the restaurants are under construction so it may be noisy, but it didn't bother me.

I am an American-born Filipina and stayed with my teenage niece and nephew here. We felt very safe in the area and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family