“Great lobby, disappointing room”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Only a one night stay here, but expectations were high at check-in. The lobby is imposing and spacious. However (and I think there are renovations ongoing) the room was rather tired and in what can only be described as "pastel chintz". It all worked, but just a let down.... I booked through a well known hotel booking service.

Room Tip: Obviously one which has been refurbished!
1  Thank Gringofarang
FSchoucair, General Manager at New World Makati Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay in our hotel. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the condition of our unrenovated rooms.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to experience one of our newly renovated rooms. We expect that all our guestrooms will be renovated by the end of 2014.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,543)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

On arriving at the hotel during World Economic Forum the security was tight. However, that was the best part! Be warned I had to cancel one night within the allotted time yet when I arrived at the hotel they refused to honour the cancelation policy. This infuriated me and they charged me for the extra night and at over £150 per night that was a bad start. Getting int the room I immediately realised this was a substandard hotel with dated furniture, tv which did not work properly and carpet that looked faded and worn. As I left my baggage and went out I was a ousted by females wanting to spend some time with me for a charge of course! Avoid this hotel at all costs and as a regular traveler I was horrified at the way I was treated. The hotel is in a nice area but that's it!!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay!
7  Thank Andrew S
FSchoucair, General Manager at New World Makati Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent experience with us. Please allow me to extend to you my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, the cancellation policy is strictly enforced during peak periods, as you have recently encountered during the World Economic Forum held in Metro Manila. Otherwise, we could have been more flexible as we have on many other occasions.

Regarding the condition of your room, I am pleased to advise that we have already completed the refurbishment of all our Residence Club and Deluxe rooms. By the end of this year, all our rooms should be completely renovated.

Once again, my apologies for our shortcomings, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back and to better serve you.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My encounter with the hotel started at the airport, this young guy Ed helped me immensely to get me to the hotel. I was very impressed for staff stationed at the airport, at the hotel my impressins were confirmed during my three days stay; superb, friendly, professional and helpful staff! Room is spacious and internet worked very well.

1  Thank 7September
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The service at this hotel is impeccable. I arrived late at night. Check-in was smooth and efficient and the arrival experience was warm and friendly. My room on the 23rd floor was very comfortable but I was awoken each morning at 6am with people walking around and moving furniture on the wooden floors directly above my room. I found the air-conditioning rather aggressive but this is quite normal for Manila hotels (bring a jacket or wrap to throw over your shoulders while in meeting rooms/lounges). I couldn't adjust the in-room aircon to go above 19 degrees celcius despite various attempts.

The club lounge is quite small and the seating is a bit formal but the service is great and the food at breakfast/dinner is very good. They have a nice range of private meeting rooms (complimentary club booking for the first 2hrs). This is useful when the hotel is very full during big conferences.

This hotel copes well when at full capacity and the staff are simply wonderful. It's easy to put up with minor problems when the service is so warm and friendly. Smiling is infectious in the Philippines. I look forward to my next trip.

1  Thank WorkRestPlay
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in a great place. Literally steps outside of the premier shopping mall in Makati.

The refurbished rooms are clean. The hotel doesn't smell bad. The corners of the bathroom aren't dirty. The towels dry you well and smell clean.

The service was excellent at the Chinese restaurant, Jasmine. Service at the desk was ok. We asked for an upgrade (just to try) and they said we already had a good room. Ok. Fine. So we stayed the night and needed another night to stay. They denied us a second night. Even if there was a more expensive room available. They said they would only give it to us at the rate listed. Fine. I get that. But we were there already and no one was going to book that room. I don't see why they couldn't let us keep the room we were in for the price we were willing to pay then maybe give the new customer that upgrade so our room would be available for us. But I guess we weren't that special, and that was there prerogative.

So we called up Shangri-la down the street they immediately welcomed us, finding us a room, matching the price of new world hotel, knowing we were on that budget.

So props to Shangri-la customer service. Will write a review on the stay tomorrow (after the stay).

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Seventhwav

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us, as you have found our location and our services to your satisfaction.

Unfortunately, we could not extend your stay for another night as we were already overbooked for that period. Please allow me to extend to you my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and to better serve you.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel does not flaunt some big objects d'art, nor try to project some style label, it doesnot even have a great harbour view and yet it is a beautiful place. The view I got was a nice enough view of the buildings around. The room was clean and newly decorated in a functional yet pleasing way. The best part was the bedside power plugs that were designed to take in the electrical plugs from all over the world. So many big label hotels just fail in this regard. The wifi was free and of reasonable quality, though it could have been better. The staff was most helpful and cheerful suggesting that the management not only trains them well, but treats them well too. The bathroom is spacious as well. I stayed just one night but the experience was really pleasant. The restaurant on the ground floor had a good buffet with an incredible selection of desserts. Conference facilities were also simple and great, like a European hotel. Very pleased to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, otherwise they will give you rooms looking at some residential buildings
2  Thank hrishikul298
Reviewed 15 May 2014

From the time we entered the hotel till we reached the room- the service was fantastic. Mind you that its a professional hotel & most people were in their business attire & we were in our beach slippers/ shorts & sweating from the heat outside.

Service was simply the best..

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the higher floors- new wing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scool_sgm
FSchoucair, General Manager at New World Makati Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for your kind feedback, which has been shared with our associates. We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Farid Schoucair