“Great hotel for business trip”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 28 October 2008

This hotel is located in Makati city, having a lot of shops and restaurant just around the corner.
Great hotel for business trips, check-in and check-out are very fast (as you need them when you are in a rush), room service takes too long to be delivered, it will take around 45 minutes to get your order so before you get very hungry ask for food as it will take a while.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank lirits
Write a ReviewReviews (3,671)

Reviewed 17 October 2008

I’ve stayed in this hotel about 2 years ago and gave it a stellar review. I was in it again a week ago for a conference and like the last time, I am still impressed. The rooms were clean, the gym was neat (open 24 hours) but most of all the staff was great. They truly were delighted to serve. From the front desk staff, the doormen, down to the driver of my airport transfer, everyone made me feel welcome and looked after.

Reading the review of Zlanger from the UK, I steeled myself for a bit of the same treatment that his Filipina fiancé suffered. I am also of Filipino descent and travel frequently with my Caucasian boyfriend. There have been a few instances on my visits to Manila where I’ve been on the receiving end of the same treatment from my fellow Filipinos no less so I understand where he’s coming from. I thought maybe this time it may be worse since I’m traveling alone without the benefit of having a “white back-up”. I was wrong and pleasantly surprised at not being “judged” in this “fancy” hotel. At no time in my stay with them was I made to feel like I don’t belong.

Maybe someone in the Marriot chain reads these reviews and paid attention.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank WannabeCSI
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 5 weeks while in Manila on business, my company has a corporate rate. The hotel is very high quality, the room was clean and well appointed and the service was impeccable. I had one issue the entire time I was there, I placed a room service order that was lost and waited over an hour for delivery, when I called back they rushed it and of course didn't charge.

The pool is beautiful, the location is superb especially with Greenbelt and Glorietta so close by. The breakfast buffet is very expensive, but was included with my room...the food was very good.

I would without hesitation recommend this hotel for a long term stay and/or business travel...it's a little stuffy (for my liking) for personal travel though.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank shannipantz
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Just returned from 10 day stay at Hotel. Rooms are excellent, staff very helpful and friendly. Excellent location next to Greenbelt shopping malls with huge range of bars, restaraunts within walking distance. Also appreciated the high level of security when entering and leaving. Gota corporate rate of $135 but like all hotels this did not include all the taxes.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank kev91
Reviewed 24 June 2008

This review has been long overdue. I've been busy and could not find the time to write this. However, I've seen that there have been a lot of reviews for this hotel and I do agree that the hotel needs a little upgrading (especially the really old TV set that the room had). I would also like to point out an important missing piece on the side of the toilet (something that has a hose and a nozzle) coz it was quite a chore to do the CHORE, if you know what I mean.

This a hotel worthy of a couple of compliments... Again, we ventured into the heart of the Makati Business District for a long weekend. Upon arrival an the hotel, you can tell that they take security seriously. They have K-9 units, metal detectors and security personnel to check your belongings as you enter the premises. I was greeted by one of the friendly staff members who led me to the front desk to check-in. I was then assisted by another friendly staff member (April, I think) and the process did not take long. At the most it was about 7-10 mins. max. Finally, I was then directed to the elevators where I got off on the 16th floor.

The view from this room was good. I had a great panoramic view of the Makati business district and the Greenbelt shopping center (which was right across). Everything was within walking distance: The Landmark, Glorietta, SM Makati, and the other interesting places in the vicinity. It was good because you didn't need to get into a cab and find yourself stuck in the Makati traffic.

Although for all it's PRO's, the few CON's would be the banged up old TV, the lack of a bidet (or whatever you call it), and the obnoxious teenagers at the pool (which the pool staff did not reprimand for being too loud and kept jumping into the pool even though there are signs indicating "NO DIVING").

Overall, I would say that we had a great 3-day stay at this hotel. I can't complain about the security and the staff. Everywhere you went, you were always greeted with a warm smile and a wonderful greeting (morning, afternoon, or evening). I guess if I had to do it all over again, I might go for a different room, but I would still want the same staff there. I really felt that the staff took care of us and treated us like VIP's. It was really a great experience from a great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DrHouseMd
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I like this hotel's location but will not stay there again simply because of the security. I am a white foreigner and my fiancee is a Filipina, and for some reason security thought it was a good idea to stop us enroute to our room every day and insist that I go reregister my fiancee at the front desk. I was registered for a room for two, and my fiancee and I were both usually dressed nicely. They seemed to imply that because she was a Filipina and I was white that she was a prostitute and must be registered for my protection. It was embarrassing and a hassle the first night and utterly humiliating the second and third nights there. The security types seemed to form a gauntlet around us the minute we walked through the door, and they even stood between us and the elevator and would not let us go around. By our last night there, my Finacee was so humiliated that she insisted that we not leave the room for dinner because she didn't want to be embarrassed yet again on the way back to the room.

I observed in the lobby many Filipinas with Filipino men going unimpeded to the elevator, and Japanese men doing the same. Apparently they enjoy hassling white foreigners with local women.

I don't mind at all having my bag searched as I enter the hotel, but when they stop a mixed race couple to apparently "protect" the guy from a girl half his size, and do not let him pass without being pushed to the front desk to prove they are a couple, this crosses the line.

White men with Filipina wives or girlfriends, avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Zlanger
Reviewed 6 May 2008

The Makati Renaissance is a five star hotel in the heart of Makati. It is across the street from a mega-complex for shopping and dining called Greenbelt/Glorietta. In this regard, it is convenient. It is also a five minute walk to the Ayala MRT station to make mass transit a easy convenience.

I stayed there on a last second booking for work and was satisfied, if not overly impressed, with the facility. It is a spacious lobby with alot of bells and whistles. The concierge and front office staff were professional and nice.

It is part of the Marriot chain which may factor into some people's decision where to stay.

The room was fine with a flat screen TV, quality bedding (queen only though...boo hoo) and marble bath with shower and separate tub. It was clean.

The strteet noise could be easily heard, unfortunately, on our initial sixth floor room. They did transfer us with little trouble to a more satisfactory 14th floor venue on request.

The two main drawbacks were price ($150+ with all the taxes and service charges included w/o breakfasts) and really lousy meals at Boccarino's. Their interesting version of phad thai would have made heads spin in Bangkok.

The pool and health club were really nice and well maintained.

I guess I am just lamenting the drop of the dollar and the rise in prices at luxury hotels in Manila, in general. It is a fine hotel, but for the price, nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business