“Deteriorating service”

Ranked #10 of 83 Hotels in Makati
Kuala Lumpur
“Deteriorating service”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Service has deteriorated in Makati Shangrila. They always make mistakes with group bookings and charging for company events. Shang Palace restaurant service is so poor consistently--service is extraordinarily slow and staff are not attentive. This is not a hotel for corporate events especially with foreign guests. Not a good example of service excellence.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

8 Thank R N
Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La Manila, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear R N,

I’m very sorry to hear that service fell short of your expectations. May I know of specific details that service was not good, especially for foreign guests? I will personally see to it to discuss this with my team and take action to correct shortcomings you may have experienced. Please feel free to e-mail me with more details at alain.borgers@shangri-la.com. Poor service is unacceptable especially for us, as we take hospitality and delighting guests to heart.

Yours truly,

Area Manager / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I always stay in Makati Shangri La during my business trips and the last time I was there was during the typhoon in July 2014. Given the force majeure event of the day, the service was unusually slow. However, this is still the best located hotel in town and close to the Greenbelt area where you can wine and dine with the number of options available. I like the unlimited pressings and laundry service that the hotel offer at a premium room rate, and this makes life easy for business travellers. The F&B outlets are great with the best buffet in town and the Japanese and Chinese restaurants are pretty good as well and it's always nice to hold meetings at the lobby bar though I notice that there were a lot of flies during the last trip.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are the best!
2 Thank Yodissen
Dear Yodissen,

Thank you for your observations. It is unfortunate that you were in town at a time when a major typhoon hit, but I’m glad to know you stayed safe and dry in the hotel throughout this ordeal. Your positive feedback and observations on the restaurants are well noted and appreciated. I hope to welcome you again in the hotel when business takes you back to Manila.

Kent
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is my first visit to the Philippines, so my review is based on the standard of hotels I have experienced across the globe as opposed to a pure comparison within Manila.

I used the hotels airport limo service, which whilst pricey at almost PHP2,900 one-way, it was a great service and felt much safer than risking a local airport taxi.

Location: this hotel is ideally placed in the business district, very close to a number of shopping malls and restaurants, including the Hard Rock Cafe. The hotel has armed guards at the entrance and the business district does feel very safe, with a very visible police presence. However, I would recommend checking with the hotel if you plan to travel further afield as public transport is not great and safety can be a concern in some areas.

Hotel: check-in was very efficient and as I have no loyalty status with this group, I had a standard twin room. This was a good size, with a fruit bowl, tea/coffee and complimentary water. It also had an in-room safe, and bathrobes/slippers. The bathroom had a separate bath tub and shower, with additional toothbrush, cotton buds and hair grip! I did use the gym and this was well equipped with both cardio and free weights. The hotel also had a good size pool and tennis courts.

I had breakfast in the Sage restaurant both mornings during my stay. The continental breakfast bar had a good selection of fresh fruits and pastries, but not much else - it was sadly lacking a cold meats and cheese selection from my perspective. I was also overcharged on the first morning, so I would recommend carefully checking your bill.

I tried the Inagiku Japanese restaurant on the first night. The menu offered good choice, but there was a long wait between courses and the salmon teriyaki was very dry! The staff did apologise for the delay in serving the food.

The staff were very friendly and willing to help. Given this is my first stay at this chain, I do hope for a better overall experience on future visits.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank KentHonestTraveller
Dear KentHonestTraveler,

Thank you for taking time to write about your stay, and for detailing your observations about the hotel. I’m glad to know that you were able to try the hotel’s facilities. As for breakfast, we also offer buffet at our all-day dining restaurant, Circles Event Cafe, which offers food from cuisines all over the world. I hope you get to try this the next time you are in the city.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Shang is located right in the middle of Makati so is great for shopping and dining. The hotel is very opulent with an amazing lobby and beautiful ladies to greet you as you enter. They even have string quartets playing in the lobby area during afternoon tea. The rooms are beautifully furnished and quite modern. But the hotel, not surprisingly, is not cheap and I would probably find somewhere less opulent and half the price when I next go to Manila.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade at no extra cost.
1 Thank Paul M
Dear Paul M,

Thank you for the positive feedback. Location is a big asset for us, what with business and leisure spots merely steps away from the hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed the little details that make the hotel especially unique, such as the 14-string quartet that plays every afternoon in the Lobby Lounge. I do hope that despite the rates, you found value for your money, which we always strive to bring to each and every guest. We always ensure that service and delighting guests in every way is second to none – something that we take pride in at Shangri-La.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I've stayed in this location at least 10 times, more than 30 nights, over the past 3 years. I really feel the service in this location has gotten drastically worse every time I stay here. While the staff seem to try hard, there seems to be basic lack of understanding when it comes to providing excellent service. Shang Palace, the signature Cantonese restaurant, was a classic example of the poor service. I literally sat there for 15 minutes without one single server providing a menu or asking for a drink order. I believe I could have stayed there for 2 hours and no one would have minded me, if not for me flagging them down.

Additionally, the hotel is getting a bit dated. I really do hope the hotels improves as this is one of the better locations for a hotel in Makati. It provides convenient access to a lot of places within the busy business district without having to deal with the atrocious traffic in the city.

I really do hope that management works on the service level because the hotel has one of the better locations in Makati.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Kerwin G
Dear Kerwin G,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience, and I’m sorry to hear you had less than satisfactory stay with us. We do take guest comments very seriously, and I have thoroughly discussed the points you have noted with my team. We always welcome improvement, thanks to our guests like you who point out shortcomings and oversights.

I hope despite these setbacks, you give us another opportunity to prove why the Shangri-La hospitality is hailed as one of the best in the world. You and your family will always be welcome to Makati Shangri-La.

Yelm, Washington
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is an awesome hotel centrally located to many malls and restaurants. The staff are exceptionally friendly and personable. I was originally scheduled to change hotels after the first 7 days of my month long trip, this hotel was so good I canceled the other hotel and remained at this one.

Room Tip: If your have any issues, you only have to ask the staff and they will be attended to.
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La Manila, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear tactinstr,

Location does play a huge role for the hotel, being in the center of all the city action in Manila. I’m glad that you were able to explore around the area during your stay. It’s good to hear that you decided to prolong your stay with us, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team for a job well done. Looking forward to welcome you back in the hotel again soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Ms Stephanie Santos, Horizon Club Manager is an exceptional professional She leads a staff of dedicated professionals that are unmatched in the industry. Ms. Santos and her exceptional staff at the Horizon Club are the reason guests return to the Shangri-La Makati repeatedly.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La Manila, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Paul L,

Thank you for taking the time to single our colleague, Stephanie, out for her hard work and heartfelt service to guests such as you. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to her, who is truly an asset to the company. We look forward to welcoming you back again when you find yourself in Manila once more.

Yours truly,