“Good hotel”

Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Overall this is a nice hotel and a good choice. However, it is a little inconvenient for business and it feels a bit old. Having said that it is well maintained and has a beautiful lobby. I prefer to stay at the Shang across the street but if you have a conference at The Peninsula it is not a bad choice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,248)

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Over a quarter century,the hotel offers a variety dining options from Asian to International cuisine:OLD MANILA,ESCOLTA,SPICES restos and the PENINSULA LOBBY! The LOBBY has a dramatically designed stairways,open 24 hours/day with wireless internet access favorite venue to meet,greet and BUFFET makes it majestic all- the -way! If you want publicity and encounter 'famous public figure' simultaneously.. hang out @ MANILA PENINSULA! Yet the next time you check in,double check how clean your room will be,the old carpet somewhat unsuitable of my supposed to-be SUITElife stay for the night ;(

Room Tip: check the room if cleaned before confirming ... or you might stay on an odorous rug smelly suite ;(
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank teasemenchu
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The Peninsula is my usual home for business trips to Manila. My most recent stay was fine, but a couple of small things marred the expected 5 star experience. Staff continue to be friendly and helpful, but returning late one afternoon after a day of meetings my room had not yet been serviced--the maid barely finished before the evening turndown service arrived. And the quality of the food, long a nice feature of the Peninsula, was not what it used to be--unripe tomates in the caprese salad, dry and overcooked chicken. One very nice thing is that the renovations to the gym are complete--now more room and more aerobic equipment, so fewer wait times during busy periods. Overall it was fine, but given that the prices keep going up and service seems to be slipping a bit, I may have to find a new home in Makati.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OnetwentyOTR
JosephArias, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Sir,

We apologize for the service lapses from our hotel during your recent stay. Thank you for letting us know our faults since we won't be able to improve if specific incidents such as these are not made known to us. Rest assured that we will address these issues immediately. I hope that you won't mind sharing your contact information to: pmn@peninsula.com so I can personally get in touch with you. Please do give us another chance to serve you on your next visit to Manila.

Yours sincerely,

Sonja Vodusek

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed here for one night for a business function. Being the PEN my expectations were extremely high and i do frequent Manila often so i was excited to stay here.

The room was quiet, the staff excellent, the location ideal, room service was delicious etc It was a 5 star experience. But did it meet or exceed expecations - probaly not. Its hard for these hotels to stand out and i really wanted the PEN to do that but unfortuantly it didnt.

The breakfast was excellent and the PEN really does make Manila an enjoyable experience.

I reocmmend it but dont come here expecting the PEN in HK

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank World_Traveler86AU
Reviewed 5 February 2012

A grand hotel, very well maintained throughout. Lobby is stunning, and rooms are quiet, with comfortable beds, marble baths, oversized towels and lots of extra little toiletries that make things convenient. Wireless in rooms, various gadgetry to make the room lighting fit your mood. Workout and pool areas are kept spotless, steam room and sauna plus changing room/lounge available for spa or fitness users, although the entire pool/spa area closes at 10 PM.

Staff are friendly and helpful. By the second day, people had already started to refer to me by name, knew I'd want coffee with breakfast, and had already learned my schedule so they knew where I needed the driver to drop me for work, when to clean room even though it was a bit off hours (I work overnight to align with east coast time so housekeeping came in after midnight).

On-site dining is exceptional. Full breakfast includes over 100 items from different cultures, from corn flakes to sashimi, all fresh and delicious. Many dining options on site including the grand lobby area where live music plays from a second floor balcony. Poolside dining some nights.

Had a massage to fight jet lag, and the cost of spa services are quite reasonable given the 5 star quality of the hotel. It's no more than you'd pay in the US at a health club or moderately priced hotel.

Overall - clean, friendly, and no complaints of any sort after my first 5 days, only sheer delight at the little extras that make a big difference to travelers.

A thing to note if you've not been to Manila - there is armed security everywhere. Everywhere. At the hotel, even the hotel's designated driver stops, pops the trunk, and has the under-car mirror inspection - every time, day or night, regardless of who's in the car. At the front door, a dog will sniff your bags the first day, and you will open your purse/laptop bag and/or have a wand scan the bag. Accept these things with a smile and you'll be fine, it’s for your protection. You will see the same bag scanning at the Greenbelt mall across the street, at most office buildings etc. Walking in this neighborhood has felt safe, with security at many walkways and buildings. Lots of dining in nearby shopping centers, from upscale to very inexpensive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel appear to be a bit larger from the floor plan and mine has a separat...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank kjhMN
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night, 15th December 2011, with my mom and 3 year old daughter. As we checked in, the room that we pre-booked was not available, hence was offered a bigger room which costs us with an additional charge. Had no choice but to take it. We used their valet car park but they scratched our car. Definitely will not coming back in this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Abby C
JosephArias, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel. We are sorry for your unpleasant experience during your recent stay. We have an ongoing investigation regarding the incidents and wish to get in touch with you on how we can make up for the lapses in our service. I hope you wouldn't mind sharing your contact information through: pmn@peninsula.com so I may personally communicate with you.

Yours sincerely,

Sonja Vodusek

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I don't think i can say enough good things about Manila Peninsula. I absolutely adore this place! Stayed here for 2 weeks and gosh, I didn't want to leave! Rooms are a good size. Beds are comfy. I'm really particular about beds, give me a crap bed and my back will bother me the whole day. They must've cleaned our room at least 2x a day! By far the best breakfast I've ever had in a hotel! Love the champorado and danggit (dried fish), then binge on waffles and gelato haha! So eclectic! Lobby is breathtaking. Malls were across the street and the MRT (take it and forget about taxis most times since traffic in the Philippines is awful) is a block away. I believe they even have yoga by the pool on some days. I missed the opening of their new lounge area, looks fab from the photos. In fact, this is were the hunny and I fell in love (giggedy). Only thing I balked at was the P500 halo-halo poolside. It was tiny (what??? seriously?). Otherwise I'm dying to stay here again.

Room Tip: You can request a DVD player from the front desk and they'll bring it up to your room. They have...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple