“5 star stay”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was in town for a posh wedding and decided to stay here as the reception was her as well. When we checked in the upgraded us to a suite that was probably 1000sq ft and very nice. The restaurant's, pool and fitness areas are impeccable and the staff is super dedicated. With the upgrade we received access to the clubs free breakfast and lunch which was great. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Manila

Reviewed 11 January 2014

When travelling to Manila, our choice of hotel by default is the Peninsula in Makati. This was now our fifth time staying here, and I can only say that the hotel continues to delight and deliver as expected. The Peninsula Manila is particularly enjoyable during the Christmas holiday season, as the lobby is decorated in festive ornaments, an enormous Christmas tree and this time round also a real gingerbread house next to the lifts to the Makati towers, serving as a make-shift booking location for all holiday-related activities The hotel attracts many locals with their families for Christmas eve dinner and lunch, and the joyful spirit is infectious making this a wonderful place to celebrate the holidays.

On the first leg of our trip, we stayed for six nights in a Grand Deluxe Room on the top floor in the Makati towers overlooking the skyline, and on our return leg from a 5-night stay in Boracay stayed for one night to in a Deluxe room (upgraded by staff from Superior) in the Ayala building. The rooms are decorated in similar fashion, with comfortable beds, marble bathrooms and ample toiletries. In fact, I actually found the Deluxe rooms much more homely, as the Grand Deluxe is perhaps a bit too big, not helped by the lack of a few extra pieces of furniture. The rooms are serviced regularly in the morning, as well as for turn-down service in the evening. Bottled water is provided daily.

Instead of daily breakfast at Escolta, we opted this time to use our F&B allocation more flexibly for lunch or dinner either at the pool, the lobby or Salon de Ning. Relative to other hotels (e.g. Fairmont or Raffles in particular) we found the Peninsula offered good value. Likewise, the Peninsula bakery in the basement offers a fantastic selection of pastries and sandwiches, ideal if you're only looking for a light breakfast or snack during the day.

As sun-seeking individuals, we spent the first part of our days at the pool, and then the afternoons with a workout in the gym and walking around the myriad of shopping centres located within a mere 5-minute walking distance from the hotel. Likewise, the gym and spa are conveniently located next to the pool area and treatments at the spa are very good and prices likewise reasonable.

The staff throughout the hotel are efficient, professional, accommodating, helpful, warm and friendly, ensuring your stay is as comfortable as possible. Our week at the Peninsula simply flew by. We love staying here, and there is no question this hotel will again be our home away from home the next time we visit Manila.

Room Tip: If you're looking for peace and quiet, ask for even numbered rooms in the Makati towers which ov...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very nice hotel with great stuff.
stuff are very welcoming and friendly.
Walks you into your room personally after checking in.
there is live music playing at the lobby bar ( up stairs) and lobby bar is very beautiful serving great ice cream deserts etc.

Wine selections were totally limited as almost everything i liked was out of stock ( like more than 4 wines were out on the list) which was disappointing.

Location not too far form the airport, cheap taxi ride or you can take hotel car which is much more expensive but reliable.

We had great stay there and breakfast was great.
so much to choose from and drinks.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is interested.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

For a change, we stayed at the Pen over the Christmas holidays (Dec 24-26). It was my first time to stay there. Although much talk has been made about it, I was not overly impressed by the lobby. I appreciate the neoclassical design, but the Christmas decors were nothing special. Perhaps because I like it quiet and immaculately clean; and these qualities would be very difficult to maintain during the holiday season.

As I was still in the office, I called the reception to allow my family members to check in ahead of me. When I arrived, all the receptionists were busy with other guests. I thought I should have been acknowledged as soon as I arrived, and assured that someone will attend to me shortly. This only happened after 10 minutes, and I had to wait for another 10 minutes for my turn. Anyway, I was glad that the receptionist was efficient, and provided me access cards to both rooms I reserved.

ROOMS: We stayed in superior rooms in the Ayala Tower wing. I specifically requested for a connecting room, but was provided only with adjacent rooms. It would have been OK if the doors were just next to each other, but they were not. The rooms were bigger than expected, as I expected it to be a lot smaller knowing that rooms at Shangri la were a lot more spacious. Rooms were tastefully designed but in generic international style. Having bedside remote control for almost everything (curtains not included), I thought the rooms were well appointed, but not luxurious, as expected from entry-level rooms in an upscale hotel. The bathrooms were old but well maintained, and layout is excellent. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the carpet. It was in the same drab shade as those in the Pen’s Tokyo property, aside from being old and dusty.

I felt that the hotel scrimped too much on toiletries, as the housekeeping could not provide a comb and I was told that it is not part of their standard toiletry kit, and even something as basic as cotton balls. I find this very odd as even hotels of lower tier than the Pen have been able to make these available at my request.

FACILITIES: I am disappointed that I was not able to use the gym, as it looked excellent. However, we were able to use the pool. The pool deck is nice, and allowed us to feel that were really on a holiday. The pool staff were also excellent.

SERVICE: I expected service to be a bit off as it was the holidays. Anyway, the staff were generally well-mannered. They were courteous, and greeted us every time. We had hard time at the lobby though as we waited for over 20 minutes for our orders to be taken. The waiters at Escolta were much more attentive. Housekeeping team responded quickly to our requests.

F&B: We only had breakfast at Escolta and desserts at the lobby. Although selection is modest compared to other hotels of its league, Asian and American breakfast options were on spread. I did not find anything especially delicious though, but the breads were good.

I always had the opinion that the Pen was not so much competitive with other hotels in terms of F&B, and this is the reason why I never considered dining in any of its restaurants, except when chef from Thiptara is at Spices. I will probably maintain this view.

I am letting all the service lapses pass as it was the holidays. However, management is advised to train all staff to acknowledge guests promptly, and to inform guests that although service could not yet be provided, guests will be attended to soon. If only Manila was not a low-yield destination, I could also expect HSH to invest substantially in the upgrade of Pen’s hardware.

Overall, we were happy with our experience at the Pen. We thoroughly enjoyed the rooms, the pool, and the penpals (ice cream) at the lobby. We were able to accomplish our objective to have a restful and relaxed midweek holiday.

3  Thank eric_sp
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Our 5th visit or so and enjoyed it once again, very much.

Above all wonderful things at the PEN (besides the matress this time, which was too soft for my taste and the very busy period making response times sometimes a bit longer), the staff is without any doubt one of their most valuable assets.

Looking forward to return next week after our Boracay break (too bad the PEN doesn't have a beach or we wouldn't need Boracay :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brechtdw
Reviewed 2 January 2014

For the week of Christmas, my family and I decided to book at the Manila Peninsula, largely because we had stayed there before and found the ambiance to be very inviting - elegant with lots of energy particularly around the lobby area. Overall the service was as to be expected for this level of hotel particularly from the front desk and concierge staff. The concierge was particularly helpful in trying to recover our delayed/lost luggage. I liked having a fruit basket delivered every day along with bottled water. Housekeeping was responsive but they did forget to throw out the trash and the turn down service was inconsistent. In the dining areas, I did feel that their service level was down a bit probably because of the large crowds almost all the time - it was Christmas season after all. The breakfast in the Escolta restaurant had sufficient variety without being overwhelming as in some other 5-star hotels. Our daughter and her husband found the work out room to be quite good. I like where it is located because you can easily walk to the vast commercial district along Ayala Avenue. The underpass to cross Ayala Avenue is just a block away making it convenient to go to dining places and shopping stores without the hassle of having to drive. On the times when I did drive, I found the hotel very accessible. The hotel has much to offer but as my daughter observed, aside from the grand and lively lobby, it was no different from any other high-end hotel we have been to.

1  Thank Domrcpl
Reviewed 2 January 2014

What a great property from the time you check in and until you check out. We spent New Years at the hotel with the family and I have stayed here in the past. The level of service cannot be beat from the bellhops to the front desk to the housekeeping and restaurant staff. This is truly a 5 star property and the staff is so accommodating they make you feel like royalty during your entire stay. The New Years set up was incredible and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. We had stayed the majority of our stay at the Ascott Makati which I reviewed and the comparison was night and day in terms of service and the quality of the hotel. The next time our entire stay will be with the Peninsula where they know how to treat their guests. Thank you Peninsula for another fantastic stay!

1  Thank Skiznick