“Beware of double standard”

Holiday Inn & Suites Makati
Ranked #13 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I would like to highlight the double standard being praticed at this hotel. I had booked a room through Agoda.com. When I arrived at 830pm, I was told that room still need inspection. I was puzzled as it is already late at night. I was made to sit aside for about 30min. During this time, there were 4-5 group of people checking-in as well, and all of them were given a room except me. This is real bad taste, especially when u wanted a quick check-in and grab a bite before the shops closed at 9pm. I believed this is due to me booking through agoda.com which may be of a lower rate that the hotel would like. I was also not given newspaper in the morning though u see it being hang on other doors. My advice is maybe guest want to book directly with the hotel if possible, instead of using 3rd party website to prevent being discriminated against.

Room Tip: book direct with hotel
Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Jem S, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear swang2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We truly appreciate your comments and feedback about your recent stay in our hotel.

It is with regret to learn about your displeasing experience. Rest assured that we treat all our guests with the utmost importance and this is not a standard procedure practiced by our front desk associates. We would like to address the issue that you raised further along with the staffs involved.

We hope that you will provide us with more information about your stay by sending me an e-mail via hisuites.makati@ihg.com.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope that you will grant us another opportunity to host you again in an effort to provide you the high level of service that you deserve.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

You get exactly what you pay for: luxury hotel! Staff is very nice, polite, acommodating and helpful, room is big, clean and luxuros Breakfast is excellent, although we found it quite expensive. We do recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for a night as I attended a conference here. Check-in was efficient, the elevators a bit slooow (as others have noted) since all 3 lifts service all floors right down to the basement parking. Room was adequate, beds comfy with pillows marked as either 'soft' or 'firm', bathroom and mini-bar well-stocked, closet with bathrobes, electric iron and board and room safe. Big-screen cable TV and reasonably fast free wifi. The downsides: food at the breakfast were mostly bland, all eggs have to be requested (so no 'standard' scrambled eggs of unknown cook date/time), but surprisingly THERE'S NO CHEESE?!? Oh i saw a big slab of cheddar inside a glass display but you'd have to request for slices (hmmm...). They had miso soup without any tofu or garnishings. Their spoon and fork seem heavy and longer than normal. As for coffee: they don't serve them in pots or urns to be poured but you'd have to request by the cup as they're freshly brewed -- you may/may not consider this a good thing except that it does take a longer time to be served.

Overall, I would rate their service as 4 out of 5 stars and I'd recommend them to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jem S, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear bobpal,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you were able to have a comfortable stay. Your comments and feedback are highly valuable to us as they help us track the aspects that we need to improve on. Please note that our Hotel Manager, F&B Manager and Chef have discussed the points that you raised regarding the breakfast offers and have laid out specific action plans that will enhance our guest's dining experience.

Again, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Fortunately thanks to many fellow travelers I had the foresight to check with the hotel prior to arrival as to whether there is an Executive Lounge. There is (although from what I;ve read I'm not sure it's much of one) however as a Platinum Elite IHG member I would be charged an additional 2000 PHP plus taxes unless paying for a rate on the Executive Floor (where all guests are granted lounge privileges -- not because status has been achieved with IHG). Bottom line -- no benefits to staying at this property because of dedication to IHG -- it might as well not be one and based on what I've heard otherwise about the property it makes no sense to stay here. There are plenty of higher rated hotels at comparable rates with lounge services (and apparently working elevators and more congenial staff)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stu K

Dear Stu K,

Foremost, I would like to thank you for your loyalty to the InterContinental Hotels Group.

I am sorry to hear that the IHG Rewards Club point system we offer does not meet your expectations. I have cascaded your concern to the whole Management of Holiday Inn & Suites Makati and we have taken note of this for improvement.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback. We hope that you will grant us another opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here for business in September 2013. This newish hotel is well appointed, in a fantastic location and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly.

I availed the pickup service from the airport, which while slightly expensive provided great peace of mind on arrival in a new country.

The internet worked fine for the duration of my stay and I will definitely be staying here again when returning to Manila.

Room Tip: Upper levels better (Exec floors).
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2013

For 92 € per day I was lodged in the better part of town in Manila. Room are clean and beautiful even to Western standards. People are well trained and friendly and will help you every way they can. The food was really tasty (and not expensive). The pool on the roof is quite nice too a bit small maybe but not really annoyingly small. The gym was also a good surprise again not too big but a good basic equipment and all new.

On the downside: there is definitely a problem with only 3 elevators for almost 600 rooms. You can sometimes wait quite a while for them. Beware also of the "Free" Wifi it is not available everywhere in the hotel and even if it is, the speed is set at a ridiculous slow 0.5 Mb/s. You can of course get a much faster and better one for an extra amount.

Generally speaking a really nice and good hotel I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jem S, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Jules D,

Thank you for taking the time to write Holiday Inn & Suites Makati a review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to learn that you had a pleasant stay in our hotel. We sincerely appreciate the kind feedback you gave regarding our associate's services and the facilities that we offer.

We would also like to apologize for the inconveniences the elevators and Internet service may have caused you. Rest assured that the departments concerned have taken serious note of your comments and are reviewing corrective actions in order to rectify these.

Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

Jemina S

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed three nights in connection with an executive in Manila. The hotel is as you would expect one to be - but have seldom come across friendlier staff. Every time you meet anybody, be ready to be greeted with a big smile an a sonorous greeting.

Food was fine in the hotel and there are great options around the hotel which is connected to a shopping mall- very good food priced reasonably. Dare say that Manila can challenge Bangkok as a shopping destination - the branded wares were definitely aggressively prices. But am no big buyer to be able to give any guidance on that.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business