“Personalized service but needs to address a few things...”
Review of Fairmont Makati

Fairmont Makati
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I usually stay at the Makati Shangri-La when in Manila but decided to try the Fairmont Makati after seeing its #2 ranking in Tripadvisor.

My customer experience begins at airport where I was met by Mark who drives the hotel's 5 Series. I am usually 'off-balance' after a flight and going through Manila's Terminal 1 just makes it worse. It's a good thing Mark drives smoothly despite Manila's stop and go traffic.

It was my first time at the Fairmont and I appreciate the secluded driveway - away from the heat and the vehicles along Makati Avenue. The layout does have its drawbacks - it's not pedestrian friendly and assumes you have a vehicle all the times. There is pedestrian access via the basement parking to Glorietta and is a welcome alternative to the street level.

The lobby and the adjacent lounge is rather small and can get crowded at times. The building configuration can get confusing with Raffles Hotel and Residences. On the fourth floor, there were two lift lobbies with at least three separate elevator banks.

Eriel from the front desk efficiently handled in-room check-in. I was rather disappointed they couldn't provide a high-floor despite my booking 2.5 weeks in advance. I never encountered issues with similar requests at the Makati Shangri-La where I stay at the top floor.

I appreciate the room's high ceiling and the floor-to-ceiling windows which allow natural light to filter into the room. There are however, a few disappointments. The moment I sat on the bed, the bed leg wheel dislodged. While they immediately sent someone to address the issue, the customer experience was already compromised. Other minor things:

- The two bedside lamps brightness was not consistent - one was brighter than the other
- Nice touch in having power outlets hidden and integrated into the bedside tables. I might have missed something here but it would be great if they worked
- The minibar's housing looked really great but the light where the water and coffee were stored flickered from time to time
- On two occasions, water would strongly drip from the rainshower head even when the valve was closed

There were three macarons which didn't look appetising at all. Beside it was a tent card which said 'Welcome a new era for Lactum'. I'm not sure if this was a sponsored promotion or left there by mistake. Either way, it didn't make sense to me and preferred the mangoes that came in after an hour or two.

The service level from house-keeping and in-room dining was excellent. I failed to take note of their names but hope they are properly recognised for their work.

The major disappointment was the corkscrew. The blade was previously used and seemed like it hasn't been cleaned for ages. I brought this to the hotel's attention and hope they manage to address this immediately.

I was checked-out with the same level of efficiency assisted by Carmen from the front desk.

The level of service, throughout my stay, was very personalised but the quality of the infrastructure was disappointing at times. The property is probably the newest in and around Makati so it's reasonable to expect that everything should work as designed and intended. As such, the minor and rather unfortunate glitches involving the bed, lighting, power and water are far bigger issues that need to be addressed as a whole.

My trip from the hotel to the airport was again handled by Mark. At least my experience at the Fairmont ended well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank jssales
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear jssales,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us why our service failed to meet your expectations.

I am saddened to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your experience and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered.

We value your business and would like to address your concerns immediately. In regards to your accommodation, there was an oversight on the room blocking and miscommunication on the amenity that was to be set up in your room. This incident has already been relayed to the departments and leaders concerned to prevent it from happening again. I sincerely apologize for the trouble.

Our Engineering team will look into the conditions of the bed wheel, lamp, rain shower, cabinet illumination and bedside table socket. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Re-training will also be rolled out to ensure the cleanliness of all the amenities available in the guest room.

We have also have noted on your preference to stay on higher floors to make your stay with us more comfortable.

I wish to thank you for your valuable feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Makati

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The location is just superb, walking distance to the cbd area so called ayala avenue. The greenbelt shopping mall is just opposite the hotel.

The best part is there is a coffee shop and bar just next to the hotel building. They do serve good coffee and food at very reasonable price.

The hotel is new, my room is on third floor, the bed is comfy. One of the hotel with highest ceiling. Overall quality of the hotel room I would said is 5 stars.

Overall is a good hotel for business trip... yet the best in Makati but definitely one of the best... Top 3 on my list.....

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Draconian L,

Glad to know that we made it to the top 3 of your best hotel list. We're very honored to be part of it.

I'm glad you find our guest room comfortable. I'm happy to learn that you had a restful stay with us.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next business trip to Makati.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We are smitten by the quality of service rendered by Fairmont staff. Chocolates were in our room to welcome us, along with welcome note hand-written by the hotel manager. Service is sincere and prompt. During our entire stay, not once did we have to follow up on a request we had sent. They attend to us promptly for all our needs and always with sincere smile. Great room and great bathroom! Overall, an outstanding staycation experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Romina D,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your stay experience at Fairmont Makati.

I'm very pleased to learn that it was the service of our hotel colleagues that made your stay extra memorable. I'm glad that they made you feel well looked after and taken care of throughout the duration of your stay. That's great and humbling news for us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next staycation.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Staff maintains a good sense of decorum. The guest room we stayed in, although not a suite, is at par, if not better with international 5-star hotels guest rooms I stayed in during my business trips to other countries.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Norman A
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Norman A,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Thank you for sharing nothing but good things about your recent stay experience at Fairmont Makati.

I'm glad that you find our guest room spacious and comfortable. I'm also happy to learn that you and your family will be staying with us again on your next trip back to Manila.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Highly recommend it, comfort, friendliness,services and location.
Food could improve.
Great spa treatments.
Has a very comfortable feeling to the place.
Like the fact that backs into Raffles Hotel too

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank Ma De La Concep... G
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear MariaT6118XM,

Welcome to Fairmont Makati. It was a pleasure to have you with us.

I'm glad that your first stay with us was overall wonderful. I did take note of your feedback on our food. We would love to find out how we can further improve our culinary offerings. If you do have the time, I would appreciate learning out more on how we can make your dining experience with us even more pleasurable. My email address it james.bevans@fairmont.com.

Moreover, I'm delighted that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed our spa treatments at Willow Stream.

Thank you once again for your valuable inputs. Please do consider staying with us again on your next visit to Manila.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Had a 'staycation' with family last weekend at Fairmont Hotel, at the Gold part of the hotel which is on the 7th floor. Guests get complimentary internet access. Also had easy access to the Honor Bar which was on the 7th floor as well. There's lovely merienda at 2pm, drinks at 6pm and light desserts/sweets at 9pm. The bar was cozy and unlike the other restos and bars in the hotel, had an awesome (240 degree) view of Makati.

Service is excellent. Staff were prompt, attentive and provided personalized service. It was my brother's birthday and the staff were really helpful in making sure the 'surprise' went smoothly.

Rooms were cozy, spotlessly clean and spacious enough, with a wellstocked minibar (complete with coffee maker!) The bathroom included a bathtub and shower.

The pool was not big but it was empty when I went for a dip, so it didn't feel so compact/small.

Location is great! Very conveniently located near Greenbelt, Glorietta,Landmark and SM malls. Literally just a 5 to 10 walk for each. Just 20, up to 30 minutes tops to get to the airport (using Skyway).

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear LGR_1118,

I wish to apologize for the late response to your wonderful review. It seems that there's a delay in publishing the latest reviews.

I wish to thank you for selecting Fairmont Makati as your staycation destination. It was a pleasure to have you and your family with us. I'm glad that they enjoyed their time especially at the Fairmont Gold Lounge.

Thank you for describing the service of our hotel colleagues as excellent. That's very kind of you. I'm glad that we were able to make your brother feel extra special on his birthday - it was a joy to be part of the surprise.

I'm delighted that you had a comfortable and restful stay in our guest room and had the time to enjoy our recreational facilities.

On your next staycation plans, I hope you will keep Fairmont Makati in mind.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

New, modern hotel with sleek design and spacious room located in Makati business center and 15 minutes by cab to Bonafacio Global City. Guest rooms are quiet, breakfast buffet is outstanding, offering Filipino, Indian, dim sum, and Western food. The service sets the hotel apart. Staff are courteous, friendly and attentive and always ready to serve and assist.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear BostonKurt,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay experience with us.

I'm glad that you had a great time and enjoyed our accommodations and culinary offerings.

I'm very pleased to learned that it was the service of our hotel colleagues that made your stay with us exceptional. Thank you for taking the time to commend them, you're too kind.

Please do keep us in mind on your next trip back to Manila.