I usually stay at the Makati Shangri-La when in Manila but decided to try the Fairmont Makati after seeing its #2 ranking in Tripadvisor.
My customer experience begins at airport where I was met by Mark who drives the hotel's 5 Series. I am usually 'off-balance' after a flight and going through Manila's Terminal 1 just makes it worse. It's a good thing Mark drives smoothly despite Manila's stop and go traffic.
It was my first time at the Fairmont and I appreciate the secluded driveway - away from the heat and the vehicles along Makati Avenue. The layout does have its drawbacks - it's not pedestrian friendly and assumes you have a vehicle all the times. There is pedestrian access via the basement parking to Glorietta and is a welcome alternative to the street level.
The lobby and the adjacent lounge is rather small and can get crowded at times. The building configuration can get confusing with Raffles Hotel and Residences. On the fourth floor, there were two lift lobbies with at least three separate elevator banks.
Eriel from the front desk efficiently handled in-room check-in. I was rather disappointed they couldn't provide a high-floor despite my booking 2.5 weeks in advance. I never encountered issues with similar requests at the Makati Shangri-La where I stay at the top floor.
I appreciate the room's high ceiling and the floor-to-ceiling windows which allow natural light to filter into the room. There are however, a few disappointments. The moment I sat on the bed, the bed leg wheel dislodged. While they immediately sent someone to address the issue, the customer experience was already compromised. Other minor things:
- The two bedside lamps brightness was not consistent - one was brighter than the other
- Nice touch in having power outlets hidden and integrated into the bedside tables. I might have missed something here but it would be great if they worked
- The minibar's housing looked really great but the light where the water and coffee were stored flickered from time to time
- On two occasions, water would strongly drip from the rainshower head even when the valve was closed
There were three macarons which didn't look appetising at all. Beside it was a tent card which said 'Welcome a new era for Lactum'. I'm not sure if this was a sponsored promotion or left there by mistake. Either way, it didn't make sense to me and preferred the mangoes that came in after an hour or two.
The service level from house-keeping and in-room dining was excellent. I failed to take note of their names but hope they are properly recognised for their work.
The major disappointment was the corkscrew. The blade was previously used and seemed like it hasn't been cleaned for ages. I brought this to the hotel's attention and hope they manage to address this immediately.
I was checked-out with the same level of efficiency assisted by Carmen from the front desk.
The level of service, throughout my stay, was very personalised but the quality of the infrastructure was disappointing at times. The property is probably the newest in and around Makati so it's reasonable to expect that everything should work as designed and intended. As such, the minor and rather unfortunate glitches involving the bed, lighting, power and water are far bigger issues that need to be addressed as a whole.
My trip from the hotel to the airport was again handled by Mark. At least my experience at the Fairmont ended well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Makati's prestigious commercial business, the luxurious Fairmont Makati is a hotel with 280 elegantly appointed guest rooms and suites including Fairmont Gold - our exclusive lifestyle hotel experience. This luxury Makati City hotel features six restaurants and lounges, over 1,700 sq m of versatile meeting and function space, including a 859 square meter ballroom accommodating up to 720 diners. Relax and re-energize in hotel's Willow Stream Spa, one of the city's most luxurious retreats, or the adjacent fitness center and outdoor swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Fairmont Makati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Makati Metro Manila, Philippines