“Turn down the volume”

Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines
Ranked #44 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I happened to walk by one evening and was looking at the menu by the door when a nice gentleman invited me in for a drink. I decided to pop in for a drink or two. Sadly, I found the live music too loud so much so that I moved to the outdoor patio while only halfway done with my beer. Bad decision as the patio outside was much louder with speakers blasting at what seemed like full volume. I never bothered finishing my beer, paid my bill and just left. A foreign couple also sat at the table next to mine at the patio but decided to leave after a few minutes telling the waiter that it was just too loud. I hope management realizes that blasting the speakers outside actually turns away customers.For the brief moment I was there though, service was friendly and prompt. Too bad.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bryantpark88
NorazmanC, General Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our related department. I understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it had caused you.

Thank you again, for your honest feedback, our apologies again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back here in our hotel to replace the negative impression with a more positive one.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Dear Norazman Chung,

I address this to you as I’ve see you respond to Trip Advisor’s reviews. I do not think stating that my feedback was received and will be taken into consideration for improvements is enough. I was in room 2504 from 2/21 to 2/26 if you want to look at the record of my stay.

Let me preface this review with full disclosure that I booked this hotel realizing there was a mixed bag of reviews. I do travel frequently for work so I have a sense of good hotel service. I figured, pictures were representative of what the rooms looked like and read some reviews that service was great. So I took the gamble and even asked if my room was one of the newer rooms (I realized there were older ones). I was told it was a "renovated" room.

Upon check in, I confirmed it was the "renovated suite." I was fooled or as you staff suggested confused by those words or the pictures on the website noted as a “Grand Deluxe” room. I had arrived quite late after 16 hours of flying and just wanted to check in and shower. I open the door and the room was dark and dreary. Not a big deal... initially. I turn on all the lights and was not pleased with what I saw. Probably would have been better with the lights off. Carpet was old and run down with random dark spots… I let that go. Walls were painted but done is a fashion to “cover up” who knows what. I let that go. I start unpacking my valuables and the safe had wires exposed and not even large enough to fit an iPad. Do you expect me to leave my valuables exposed with a hotel that is not responsible?

Even more frustrated, I finally called the front desk asking for other rooms available. I was told “nothing, everything booked, check tomorrow.” I proceeded to take a shower… a cold one. You guessed it. NO HOT WATER! If that were the case in any other hotel, I’m sure switching rooms would be a priority for the staff. I muscled through the cold shower afraid to really touch any tile covered in mildew. I proceeded to the lobby expressing my concerns. The staff looked at the computer and sure enough did find another room after I was told no other rooms. I asked to take a look at it. Same exact dreary “renovated” room (insert sarcasm) but with two beds. It looked like the hot water did work there but didn't even want to risk it.

We proceeded back to the front desk to look even further into room availability. Guess what?!?! You had even more rooms available on the executive floor which was 2000 PHP more a night. I agree $120 a night is still reasonable for developed country standards but if I were to pay that price, there were 20 different other hotels I would have booked.

I had asked the night staff to call the manager and ask if there was anything they could do to reduce the rate considering the room was run down and NO HOT WATER. They agreed to 1500 PHP a night which I hesitantly accepted weighing out my options. This was a good gesture but keep in mind the options: same room no hot water, double bed same room condition or pay to upgrade. I did not want to be miserable for 5 nights.

I ended up paying the 1500 PHP/night and even the new rooms had issues. The first night I had to WALK to the front desk to request to change sheets because of stains (I have pictures) and the phone didn't work. The overhead shower wasn't working either but at that point, I was exhausted of complaining.

I could not tell you how happy I was to check out and move to another hotel. I see potential but use these comments to improve the service because is it your PAYING customers that keep the hotel open. Practices such as forcing your clients to pay for upgrades when the condition of the original room is not suitable is not good business and is just wrong.

To travelers: In summary- If you love the location and willing to pay $100 + a night, look for another hotel. I did pay $100+ for the remainder of my stay at another hotel and it was worth every penny. Otherwise, you’ll be in an old “renovated room.”

Room Tip: Don't even bother. Plenty of other good hotels.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Lonnie A

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you have experienced with the hotel. Rest assured that Berjaya Makati Hotel always strive to fulfill our mission in providing all our guests with a memorable experience.

We truly appreciate you bringing those issues to our attention and sincerely hope that this incident would not preclude you from patronizing Berjaya Makati Hotel as your preferred hotel for your requirements. We greatly value your support and we are always ready to do our best to ensure that you enjoy a seamless visit with us.

Please do let me know on your next trip to Philippines as I would like to take the opportunity to meet you personally.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

It was the second time we stayed in Berjaya and we were impressed that the staff remembered us from our stay from almost 3 years ago.
This is a no-fuss hotel with all the luxuries you could want! We were able to have visitors until the late hours and all the staff were very accommodating and friendly.
A.Venue Night market right next door with 7-Eleven, Wendy's and Mercury Drug at your doorstep.
Don't expect great views but do expect lots to do and it's all walking distance!
I must say that their pool was too cold and spa was not working. A little maintenance will go a long way! Otherwise highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here at trip advisor regarding your wonderful stay here in our hotel.

We sincerely thank you for the kind words and the good comments about our staff that made your stay memorable and enjoyable.Comments like this continue to inspire us to do better in servicing our guests and clients.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back for the third time and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed 5 nights here with my parents and boy friend. The stay is beyond over accommodating! We arrived at our hotel at 3 am. Even thought the restaurant was closed with lights out. We were not tired cause of the time difference. We went to sit down in the restaurant cause we couldn't sleep. And quicky their was a very attentive waiter turning on the lights apologizing that the lights were off. Then hands on menus. We are like oh... umm are you guys closed hes quickly says no, Clearly they were but I thought that was generous. Food taste delicious.

there isn't much child activity if your planning on bringing your children. but you are in the city.

Majority of the fruit juices they make are freshly juiced and AMAZING. nothing you'll find at a typical US restaurant/hotel dining.

Room service is very prompt, We needed our laundry done. Our clothes where nicely done like an upscale dry cleaning service and done in just a couple hours/same day.

well air conditioned. AC in your room too

The pool room could be upgraded but...it will do.

weather was great this time of year (summer) no rain.

right next to a mall, coffee shop, bakery. even a pawn shop. you feel very safe at least during the day their are a lot of security all over the streets/side walks.

but beware children and the elderly locals will try and beg for money.. pretty sad.

They are beyond polite in the Philippines its amazing . I would definitely return.

Room Tip: two queen beds were decent. but then nothing compares to my tempurpedic at home. decently sized room...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
NorazmanC, General Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I sincerely thank you for the kind words and the good comments about our staff that made your stay memorable and enjoyable.

Comments like this continue to inspire us to do better in servicing our guests and clients. Rest assured that the compliments will be extended the people who helped to creating memorable total experiences to your stay.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The food was decent, mainly Asian dishes, and it was great to find vegetarian dishes on their menu. The servers were not attentive. They have live music at the lobby/restaurant and it was VERY VERY loud. It was so uncomfortable, especially because they let their drunk guests sing. We're definitely not going back again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank P P
NorazmanC, General Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review here at trip advisor regarding your stay here in our hotel.

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our related department. Thank you again for your comments.

We are looking forward that you will give the hotel another chance to serve and make it up to you. We greatly value you as our guest and we are always ready to do our best to ensure that you enjoy a seamless visit with us.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here very often but the last time I checked in, I was disappointed. I had a very bad housekeeping service experience. When I first entered my room, I have to call the receptionist to request for pillow case and bath towels. The next day, the bath towels are gone, so I had to call them again. Same thing happened on the third, fourth and fifth day. I called their attention and I got an "okay" .... for five consecutive days, all I can get is okay?????????????

"panira ng araw"

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hel_mitc
NorazmanC, General Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us. Rest assured that Berjaya Makati Hotel always strives to fulfil our mission in providing all our guests with a memorable experience. It is with much regret that you have experienced difficulties in the hotel particularly with preparing Towel in your room. We will be taking the necessary measures to ensure that these will not happen again and the improvements that need to be done will be carried out.

Once again, the Management and Staff of Berjaya Makati Hotel would like to extend our sincerest apologies, we are looking forward that you will give the hotel another chance to serve and make it up to you. We greatly value you as our guest and we are always ready to do our best to ensure that you enjoy a seamless visit with us.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have to say: Berjaya was kind enough to take me in at 1 am in the morning after Expedia messed up a reservation elsewhere (that hotel they booked me in was in fact full, but the helpful stuff there got me a room at Berjaya). BUT: the rooms here are in urgent need of rennovation. They are dark, the carpet is uninviting, the tab was leaking, the shower was in a bathtub with plastic curtain (SO last century!), the towels had seen better days. For this price you get better accomodation in Makati.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
NorazmanC, General Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel here in trip advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our services.

We are committed to you our valued guests, and are taking immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us.