“Oasis in Manila with outstanding service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dusit Thani Manila

Dusit Thani Manila
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Makati
zurich
“Oasis in Manila with outstanding service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stay here for the service. I have never encountered such lovely people in the restaurants. When eating alone in the sushi bar, the chef made me feel like a queen and not at all awkward. They did not have gluten-free soy sauce but then bent over backward to whip up special treats without flour, including getting an unbreaded crab for their signature roll. Wow. The technical details in the room were a little off - the light in the closet did not go off all night - but I gladly forgive this because it is the people who make you feel sooooo welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear EurogirlZurich

Thank you for the wonderful review and I am so delighted that the staff excelled in your experience and I will certainly share this with them.

I am sorry that the light in your closet did not go off and we have already adjusted this so as not to disturb or inconvenience guests in the future.

We do so hope that you will return to us on your next trip to Manila and our Chef has already requested the Gluten Free Soy Sauce for those guests who dietary needs require this.

Alex Willats

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Me & my boyfriend planned for a 3night holyweek stay-cation with 3 hotels (hotel hopping). We got 1 new hotel in bonifacio global city, dusit & shan-rila makati. The first night at the hotel in the bonifacio global city was a nightmare! So because of that, we were hesitant to move to dusit since i know its old & all- but still we gave it one night to try. And that was the best highlight of our vacation & ended up cancelling our booking with shangri-la!! Heres why:
1. As you enter the hotel, the scent was inviting and the genuine smiles from the guards & the staff were a big big plus!
2. Though there was a long line to check-in,(because it was the holiday), by the time its your turn, it was a breeze & my reservations didnt have problems & was done in 10minutes!
3. The hotel gave us welcome
Drinks at their lobby lounge which was great! Their coffee was really good!
4. The rooms was a five star quality BUT just needs that major overhaul- it wasnt BAD but need modernization. The bathroom is okay, but whats important for us was the hot shower and the bath tub! So i was fine! It had the ammenities i need- not to mention their soap- love the scent & feel!
5. The bed had 4 pillows! A super plus!!! & the bed-its not too soft nor stiff- so
Its perfect for us! A/C was on when we first entered & its really cold! Perfect for summer!
6. We had lunch at Basix & we used the free voucher we had upon check-in, the voucher said its only for buffet lunch & dinner. Upon getting the cheque, the waitress told us that we cant use the voucher for ala-carte, but after we explained that we didnt know, she allowed us!
7. Had dinner at UMU & the prices are bit expensive, but food was super good! Though service was too slow, took around 30minutes to get our food- but people were very apologetic so we didnt mind!
8. Valet was the biggest disappointment, taking 15-20 mins for our car to arrive.
9. Buffet breakfast had a line for 2 days which is bad. But understandable because of the many people who checked in- again because of their great customer service skills, the experience was okay. Food was great! Not a wide selection but still more than enough! I love their tapa &
Corned beef & their fresh fruits & not to mention the "filipino"
Chocolate fondue!
10. Checking out was a breeze too! Front dest was all accommodating & well trained!
I just really think that this hotel should be highly credited with their excellent customer service ! Very welcoming & GENUINE!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd

Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Makeupsuperstar

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your stay with us and I was delighted that our staff made it all the more special for you both!

We are taking steps to improve the hotel's accommodation and public areas over the course of this year and I hope that you will return and experience another wonderful Dusit Thani stay experience.

Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

What this hotel lacks in modern decor, it makes up for with great service. Everyone throughout the hotel was incredibly welcoming and friendly.

The room was rather nondescript and a bit musty - but this is probably due to the climate more than anything else. In the end, the room was fine, large enough but nothing special to speak of.

My rate included breakfast and the buffet was great. Lots of food selections. I also ended up eating in this restaurant for dinner on a few occasions. Then I ordered off the a la carte menu. The food was good and very reasonably priced for a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear TravelingHoya

Thank you for the great review following your recent stay with us.

I was particularly pleased to see that you enjoyed our selection of dining outlets as well as the outstanding service the staffs provided during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and later this year we should have our newly renovated rooms ready to let which we are all very excited about.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This is our first night so far. There was a small line at the check-in desk but when it was our turn the process was a breeze. We availed of their Summer Fun promo where a stay costs only P4,000 nett per night inclusive of buffet breakfast for 2 and internet access. Was a bargain for a luxury hotel. They even gave us complimentary welcome drinks for 2 and guaranteed late check-out on Saturday (til 2pm). Used the gym earlier this afternoon and happy to note that they had all the equipment I needed for my workout. Checked out the hotel pool which was full unfortunately. One thing I don't like with Dusit is that they scrimped on the size of their pool. Should've been bigger. Now its night time and we just finished having dinner at Basix, their buffet restaurant. Other than the small misunderstanding/confusion with the receptionist, dinner was pretty good. It was asian international cuisine night and every dish I tried was good. In terms of breakfast tomorrow, I've had breakfast here before and if what I had before is an indication of what they serve then I think breakfast is gonna be okay. Staff has been very welcoming and attentive to our needs. We requested extra packets of coffee cream in our room and it was delivered promptly. Housekeeping even called to check if they've been delivered. So good service so far. Hopefully no screw ups tomorrow but think our stay will be a good one.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wheremyfeettakeme
Dear Wheremyfeettakeme

Thank you for super review and glad you have been enjoying your stay with us over the Easter break!

I was also pleased to see you availed of our excellent value promotion and I was pleased to se that you were using the wonderful range of facilities on offer and dining in our Basix restaurant.

We hope you will be back soon.

Makati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

What I love about Dusit is that distinct welcoming fresh scent upon lobby entrance replete with unmatched friendliness of all staff. Service is superb! I hope your Sunday Family Crossover Brunch will be back.

Room Tip: Try the Club Rooms for you to get to experience kingly pampering at the Club lounge as much as you c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd

Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Cherry D

Thank you for the wonderful review and we are delighted that you enjoyed the Club experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dusit Thani soon.

Cuneo, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

It belongs to the category of hotels badly in need of an vigorous room renovation, as they accuse the burden of age. However, the service is attentive and friendly, in the Thai style of the house. The reception is prompt and efficient both at check in and check out. At the gate monitoring is discreet but accurate, for a better sense of security. A sumptuous breakfast is perhaps the winning point of this aged hotel. Great choice of food, pleasant and savoury, a wide selection of both sweet and salty, for all tastes. Wonderful the fresh mango to finish a lavish brekkie. That’s the way to start a good day, be it work or leisure. The other good point is the location, right in the core of Makati, perfect for a night out, or just to pick one of the hundreds of restaurants scattered in the Glorietta malls.

Free wifi, and working pretty good. It’s not a given in Manila, so appreciate it.

Didn’t have the time to try the Italian Tosca restaurant in the hotel. It boasts having the best pizza in Manila. Next time I’ll give it a try, just to see if this boasting is rightful or not.

One point to bedrooms, two to free perks (wifi and water bottles in the room), four to staff level and brekkie: the average is three points. Could rise significantly only with a thorough modernization of the rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Homing_pigeon1

Thank you for the review and the positive comments regarding aspects of the hotel. I am sorry you found our accommodation on this visit to be somewhat lacking however I am pleased to announce that we will be undertaking a major overhaul of this important area starting this May as well as a new international dining venue and new function rooms in due course.

I am certain that this will complement the service and friendliness of all staff and I hope you will visit Dusit Thani on your next visit to Manila as a result.

Saratoga, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Other than calling for a car to pick me up at the airport and it not showing up - most unpleasant after 16 hours flying - the service was terrific. I booked a meeting room, my guest room and had a team dinner in the onsite Italian restaurant, requested train directions from the concierge and all the service was attentive and helpful without being cloying.

The main lobby area and other public areas seemed to be well-maintained, but once you got to the guest halls and rooms the 'cracks' started to show. As is common in Asian properties, they start out 5 star and fancy...then don't invest. All the hinges, corner grout, vents, plugs were permanently dingy/dusty (not dirty, clearly just painted over, regrouted, etc.). The bed was one of the two most uncomfortable I've had in the world - literally SO hard that if you sat down too quickly it hurt. Very very uncomfortable (and I prefer a firm mattress!).

The extra sink outside the bathroom (nice) had no soap, no towel or towel bar (odd). PH plug there at the mirror..but a EUR plug hairdryer!

With other options in this price range, I will not be staying here again. But I would visit Tosca, their wonderful Italian restaurant! (See separate review) I would also consider holding a meeting in their boardroom again as well - the venue, ammenities, food and service were top-notch. Too bad the guest rooms didn't match.

Room Tip: Remember you're in a busy downtown area, often with traffic and construction, so ask about that...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank shezswan
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Sheswan

Thank you for the review following your stay and please allow me to apologise for the uncomfortable nights sleep and for the condition of some aspects of your room.

We certainly agree that these aspects need to be addressed and will be undertaking a full bedroom renovation starting next month and will steadily complete all guestrooms and corridors in due course. We have already started these works to uplift the property as we currently are addressing the ballroom, Poolside and will be also creating a new Coffee shop restaurant and function room also.

I am pleased that you enjoyed Tosca restaurant and the meeting rooms and despite your comments on the guestroom I hope you would allow us to demonstrate that we do have some fine accommodation presently particularly on our Club floors with our Club Lounge on the 17th floor.

We hope you will try us again and look forward to your returning.