“Will stay here on next trip to Manila”
Review of Dusit Thani Manila

Dusit Thani Manila
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Sydney
“Will stay here on next trip to Manila”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

For the past 3 years my parents (in their 60's) have been staying at this hotel. This year my sister and I decided to join them on their annual trip to the Philippines (my mother is from Leyte).

Good about hotel
- Spa - great service. Pricey for Manila but still cheap for 5 star service in luxury surrounds
- Gym - well equipped, nice outlook and great service
- Location - across the road from 3 big shopping malls, close to the airport, if you dont want to eat at the hotel close to Landmark and SM food courts
- Buffet breakfast - Mangoes and pinapple to die for!!!! Tip. $10 pp in pre-paid, >$25 pp if pay on the go.

Not so good
- Check-out - lengthy process and tried to charge for breakfast that had been pre-paid
- Reception - I was waiting for a car and asked reception to make a local call on my behalf. They refused saying I needed to go up to my room to dial out. I said they could charge it to my room I just couldn't leave the reception area. Again they refused. This was frustrating but was a minor incident during a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Bronte_2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Upon walking in it does not seem like a bad hotel. Great lobby, wonderful location and good price for the place. Our room was well appointed but after a few minutes of unpacking we could start to smell a strong odor of wet rags and the beds were damp to the touch. The smell and dampness were probably due to the air conditioning being on all day - but even the carpet was wet and had that same strong smell. I suspected all rooms were like this and despite requesting another room and being ingnored, I endured the night because my flight was at 6AM the next morning. It would have been worth the $100 I paid - had it not been wet!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chinabear008
Israel and the US
Reviewed 5 October 2009

15-20 min drive from airport (Taxi average 200 Php = 4-5 USD)
Starbucks accross the street
Highest possible score for design, luxury, quality, etc....
Would be nice if the spa worked past 9pm

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AviD42
manila
Reviewed 26 September 2009

typhoon ondoy flooded manila, and main streets are non passable. my benefactor checked me in at dusit after our conference. Our handphone batteries are drained, and malls have closed. when i got into my room my first priority was to call home and check on our 6 mos old baby with her yaya. the last time i called, there was no electricity in cainta and the area is already flooded. My wife is in Beijing.after several tries, there was no ring tone. I called up the operator, and i was transferred to the reception. i was told i was on cash basis and needed to deposit 2000 at least to be allowed an outside/city call. I asked if I can make the call and will just come down and make the payment, or have my card swiped, at least. but the receptionist did not consider. instead, while i was brushing my teeth before going down, the floor attandants came and cleaned up the mini bar and locked the fridge.
on this rare time (and my first to be in Dusit thani) that I check in unprepared, without a change of clothing, with a drenched raincoat, this hotel is not very considerate. just a mere minute or two for a telephone call, the receptionist couldn't make a consideration.
no matter how elegant this hotel is, I am not eager to recommend. the smiles on the staff 'sface, suddenly, i thought were fixed and not meant to be there. close to 3 am, my driver arrived and called my room. without hesitation, I grabbed my things, and checked out. and spent the entire graveyard shift on flooded streets. I couldnt sleep in comfort in hotel (where you dont feel welcome) while my baby is at home with just a candle light to warm her. I was at Linden suites 2 days back and I can very well see the difference between genuine hospitality and a fake one.
consider this friends everytime you think of checking-in in this hotel.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank hor_heManila
Oakland, California
Reviewed 9 September 2009

As far as luxury hotels go in Makati, Dusit Thani definitely ranks among them. It's evident as soon as you walk into the lobby. (Although it must be said, it's not quite on par with Shangri-La, then again Dusit Thani is half the price). The rooms leave a bit to be desired though. I was lured into upgrading to one of their corner rooms which turned out to be a fairly decent sized room (although the tv was disproportinately small - not that important of a detail, just noticing) w/ a nice view of the malls and skyline. Bathroom was a tiny bit grimy though and cabinetry needed a bit of updating, but no biggie.

I'll be honest, I was torn between giving this hotel either 3 or 4 stars, but the customer service among other things tipped me over. My biggest complaint is that they did not honor the rate which they quoted me during check-in - I only realized this as I was checking out and was kind of stupified by the grand total (around $700USD for 3 nights as opposed to the ~$400USD I was originally quoted). Fortunately, when you check-in, they write down the nightly rate in an envelope containing your room key (keep this!!). So I marched back upstairs, grabbed it and showed it to the frontdesk after which they promptly corrected my bill (the lady wasn't very friendly though - need to work on that too). Only other gripe I have is the pool - it's small and crowded with raucous children and other people who I suspect aren't actually staying at the hotel... Dusit Thani actually opens the pool to the public for day use for a fee - as a hotel guest, not a fan of this idea.

All other aspects of my stay however were great. The staff were friendly (but I'll never get used to being called "ma'am").. rooms were always cleaned promptly, breakfast was good (not *quite* as good as shangrila), spa is excellent, and the thai restaurant on the mezzanine was amazing (and really authentic).

I understand that this hotel is owned by a Thai company, but it's still a bit strange to walk into this place and be greeted by Filipinos in Thai language and wearing Thai dress. Wish they had adapted this place to have a Filipino cultural theme.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jenamm
London
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The Dusit Thani is a real gem. We stayed at this hotel after visiting the Dusit Thani, Bangkok last year. Although not quite on the grand style of its Thai counterpart, the Dusit Thani was a welcome calm and well organised hotel and a good place to unwind. The rooms are quiet and you can forget the noise of the city traffic for a while and look at great cityscapes from your hotel window.

Rooms are well decorated and roomy and the breakfast is very good. Staff are polite and helpful and the buffet at the Batix restaurant is excellent. The hotel boast a number of very good restaurants. The gym has good working equipment and helpful staff and the hotel boasts a decent swimming pool.

Makati is an excellent location if you wish to use the airport, the journey is roughly 30mins, although watch out for local taxi drivers who take you to the wrong terminal then turn their meter off and try to over charge. Make sure you have small denominations of notes or they will say they have no change and speed off. Shopping in the local area is excellent with a 24hr pharmacy and many malls with a range of excellent shops and an array of varied food outlets. You can literally shop until you drop if the desire takes you.

My only criticism would be that breakfast is not standardly included in the price of a room and quite expensive my phillipino standards.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MoliM
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I visited the Philippines for the first time and the Dusti lived up to my expections. I was part of Ambassdors/Consuls General and Tourists Tour of the Philippines July 9-17. My tour included 5 nights at the Dusti but I added an additional night. My room had a king comfortable bed and was spacious. My room was clean throughly. We had a hugh breakfast daily. The location was ideal because I like the mall across the street. I felt completely safe walking in the immediate area. My friend had no problems finding me at the hotel. I truly had an excellent stay.

• Stayed July 2009