“Left feeling very tired from lack of sleep!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Durban

Hotel Durban
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Eldorado, Texas
“Left feeling very tired from lack of sleep!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

The only reason I gave this hotel a average is because of its location... The location of this hotels makes it easy to walk to restaurants, mall and to the nightlife. The hotel is for sure a no frills hotel. You will not get anything extra. The beds are very hard and the pillows are thin. If you would like an extra pillow it will cost you 30php per day. We didn't have good luck with the Internet. It would work for a bit then not work. The fridge had to be pulled out each time that we wanted to turn the tv on because you had to unplug it for a few seconds before you attempted to turn it on. Not a lot of channels available on the tv. The bed does not come with a comforter, only a sheet. My husband likes to run the air all night so I was cold. Ask for a blanket and got a sheet. We did have roaches and ants in the bathroom. The water pressure in the shower is not the greatest. Made it very hard to wash my hair.
The big problem that we had at this hotel was the light coming into the room. Other rooms were the same. The lights from the common area shined in the room all night. It made it look like it was daylight outside which made it difficult to sleep. The noise from the stairwell was heard all night as well. We were in room 301. We actually check out some rooms around us and they were the same.
I needed to dry my hair but no hair dyer was available. You must bring your own soap/ shampoo because it is not provided. Drinking water is not provided in the room either. This hotel is not handicapp accessible. There is no elevator. Rooms are small.
The staff was always friendly and helpful although many times they were asleep behind the counter. Not a hotel I would go back to because of the poor sleep quality that we got.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank farmngal
hoteldurban, Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
We would like to extend our apologies to farmngal. It is always our hope and intention that our guests have a warm, pleasant stay and a good night's sleep. After having read her review, we will take immediate action on some of her criticisms, some we will take under advisement, and some we understand but will not change because they represent choices we have made as budget boutique hotel rather than a full-price establishment.

Our primary goal is always to provide our guests with a restful night's sleep. While our beds may be on the firmer side, complaints about them are extremely rare. Nevertheless, we are about to begin a planned mattress upgrade that will be complete in the next two years.

The reviewer expressed annoyance with being charged for an extra pillow; we agree and have ended the policy. Charging for pillows was a policy that lingered from when we used to be a small inn. Our clientele at that time valued minimizing expenses wherever possible. Since we are now a much larger hotel, it is only right there should be no charge for extra pillows. Comforters are on order but have been delayed by our supplier. Under the promise of an earlier delivery we removed our previous comforters, which no longer met our standards. In the meantime we can only provide additional sheets. Our supplier assures us they will be arriving shortly. Also impacting the reviewer’s rest was ambient light and noise from the hallway. We are in the process of upgrading the window coverings, and over the next few months all of our guests will be able to enjoy them.

Noise for any hotel, especially in Manila, is always a major concern. Our recent effort has been to address street noise by installing double-glazed windows. We are in the process of evaluating interior noise solutions, which will include better-insulated doors and walls for a quieter room experience. Guests will begin to see the new doors around March 2012. While we are willing to consider carpeting the hallways, the current tile floors have a proven durability and highlight our hotel's cleanliness.

Cleanliness is paramount to us, so we are horrified the reviewer saw insects. We exterminate regularly, and our staff is vigilant on this matter. We will redouble our efforts to keep this from happening again, and we are sorry for farmngal's experience. Inspecting the room after reading the review, we also found the television set to be defective. It has been replaced. Had the TV’s defect been apparent to us during the reviewer’s stay, it would have been replaced immediately.

Finally, there is no excuse for any staff to sleep on the job. We have reviewed the closed-circuit video footage and disciplined the relevant staff accordingly. We will also increase the frequency that we randomly review the footage to ensure this situation does not repeat itself.

At Hotel Durban, we take particular pride in addressing deficiencies directly and immediately. Some complaints the reviewer had, however, reflect choices we have made so that we may remain inexpensive. We are a budget hotel. The reviewer paid USD 35.00 per night for two people in the heart of Makati. Neighboring hotels charge per person, not per room – easily double our rate. Those rooms, however, come with all the amenities any reviewer might request.

We also prioritize capital improvements over consumable expenses. We do not offer amenities that directly raise the cost of our rooms. After 25 years of operation, we find our guests prefer a lower room rate than "free" toiletries. This is why we decided to upgrade our lobby, furnishings, phone system, windows, and flat-panel televisions rather than offer complimentary shampoo and conditioner. That said, a fully-stocked toiletry kit will soon be available for purchase for guests who travel without one. Hairdryers will soon be available for rent. A café will be in operation by September 2012.

Our cable television package is identical to those found in Manila’s premier hotels, where viewers have a range of international channels, including HBO and CNN. However, such international variety limits the choice of channels in any one particular language. As a budget hotel, we do not provide certain premium pay channels or in-room movies.

As for the reviewer’s problems with the Internet, it is hard to address them now because we cannot know if it was something we could have fixed or something beyond our control. Our Wi-Fi signal is strong throughout the hotel. In-house bandwith is somewhat restricted during high-demand times because of the cost of packages available to us. It should be noted, however, that bandwith availability is a national problem and is being addressed by the local providers. The only way to avoid this issue would be to introduce some form of congestion pricing or charge for Internet access to limit usage, but we prefer to keep internet complimentary.

While the hotel does not have handicap access, we do have first floor rooms that may be reserved. Hotel Durban routinely has guests with special needs and we accommodate them easily. (If you have special needs, please contact the front desk directly so we can make arrangements to comfortably accommodate you.) However, we are in the process of sourcing a handicap chair lift for our disabled guests for 2014.

Hotel Durban prides itself on being the highest rated budget boutique hotel in the city, and we are known for maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness, service, and value. We work hard to keep our prices as inviting as our rooms. We constantly strive to improve our hotel and invite all questions and comments. Come see our hotel, and let us take care of you on your next trip. Safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I booked a room weeks in advance for my stay in late August with my filipina wife..... and I included in my email that I would be arriving extremely late and if a credit card was needed to secure my room. I was told NONE needed!!! I also told them that my wife may come earlier in the day just to see the room!!
NO problems...right?
WELL......my flight was slightly late, customs took LONGER than normal and I got to the hotel sometime around 2am.....

Thats when all hell broke loose..... my room was not available as I was told they did not think I would be arriving so they sold the last room to a walk-in customer!!!!

Trying to get anyone with authority to resolve my problem was impossible. After trying to say how wrong they were.... there was no room.... PERIOD!!! MY room is just not available....lol

After what may have seemed an hour....they said they could get me a room across the street but at a higher price.... I demanded they pay the difference and really, for the inconvenience they should just simply have paid for my room!!!!! I was exhausted from my 18 hours flight, frustrated to no end....and just did NOT have anymore power to argue with someone that could not do anything for me!
So... I asked the staff, should I take that room across the street and then wake up before noon and get a room back in their hotel? They simply stated that was up to me!!!! I had a second booking with them and asked if they were sure my room would be kept for me......
I cancelled the rest of that first reservation because I did NOT want to wake up hours later just to change back to my original booking and hotel!!!
A TOTAL waste of that first night and truly leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth!!

Upon arriving in Manila about a week later I found the Durban Hotel to be quite a pleasant experience....

HOWEVER.......I still feel cheated on what happened the first night!!!! and subsequent cancelling of that portion of my trip at the Durban Hotel. I was simply told the owner of the hotel is in USA and he would be told of what happened to me and my wife..... lol... OH REALLY???

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joe T
hoteldurban, Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
We regret Joe T’s recent experience at our hotel, and we would like to offer our sincerest apologies. As travelers ourselves, we know well the difficulties and stresses of traveling.

Like any hotel, we have a standard reservations policy. In our case, our reservations policy addresses the fact that we don't accept credit cards in order to keep our room rates low. We hold all reservations for up to two (2) hours after a guest’s scheduled arrival, based on the time selected by the guest. On the rare occasion when the hotel is over-booked AND the guest arrives more than two (2) hours after their scheduled arrival, accommodations are made for a similar room for that night at an alternate hotel, usually the one across the street. Our quoted room rate continues to apply. Front desk staff walks the guest to the alternate hotel, and the following morning, we welcome the guest back as soon as their room is ready. We make every effort to reconfirm reservations with our guests on the day of their arrival, but we also realize that this may not always be possible.

According to hotel records and interviews with the staff on duty, the reviewer and his party arrived more than two hours after the originally scheduled time and the hotel was full. Front Desk followed policy when the reviewer’s room was released and made arrangements for an alternate room at the hotel across the street. Unfortunately, the alternate room was not immediately ready when the reviewer did arrive – records indicate it took approximately 45 minutes. Once the room was ready, the reviewer and his party were walked to the hotel.

Our front desk made the mistake of allowing Joe T to pay for the alternate room directly. However, he never paid more than Hotel Durban’s quoted rate even though the alternate room was more expensive because Hotel Durban settled the difference, including taxes. We have since worked with our staff to ensure that our policies in this type of case are implemented correctly: that is, when a guest is placed at an alternate hotel due to overbooking, the guest pays US for the room at their originally quoted rate, and we then pay the alternate hotel, including any differences in rate and taxes. This way, the transition is seamless for the guest.

We also recognize that the reviewer requested a complimentary room because of his inconvenience. However, as a budget hotel we cannot afford to comp rooms. Instead, we make sure that our guests are comfortably settled in a similar or better hotel in the neighborhood, and that they never pay more than quoted rates at Hotel Durban.

It should be noted that before the reviewer was settled, he also wanted to speak to the owner. However, as Hotel Durban is a corporation, it is not customary for our corporate officers to settle hospitality disputes, especially late at night. We have a strong, on-site management team in place, which is trained to handle any concerns that might arise.

Hotel Durban prides itself on being the highest rated budget boutique hotel in the city, and we are known for maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness, service, and value. While we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience Joe T experienced, we are proud of our small hotel and confident we successfully handled the dispute. Perhaps it is a testament to the success of our values and policies that Hotel Durban was not only good enough for the reviewer to revisit a week later, but to actually find it “a pleasant experience” – as do the great majority of our guests. We invite you to come see our hotel, and let us take care of you on your next trip. Safe travels.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

The good: Great hotel, loved staying here...Rooms were cleaned every day..Never had a problem leaving things in the room..Everything i had was in its place..I felt safe in the room..The staff at the front desk was very helpful and professional..I wasnt really sure about which room size to get so to be safe i got a premium room, only 36usd.i was pleased with the room size..Outside there were several 24 hour internet cafes, lots of places to eat which were open 24hrs: Shakeys, jollibees, mcdonalds, KFC..Lots of local filipino fast food restaurants also...a block away was a 24hr 7-11, and across the street another 24hr 7-11 for water and little essentials..Taxis passed in front of the hotel 24hrs a day, so no problem in finding one. Price to Glorietta mall and Greenbelt was under 100pesos, for americans thats about 2 dollars..Price to Mall of Asia, largest mall there is about 200pesos or about 4 dollars...Nice hotel for a family, and easy access to places..Making reservations online is simple. www.hoteldurban.net..i made the mistake of going to durbaninn.com. The hotel will get back to you and let u know if rooms are available, and response is usually within 24hrs. I forgot to mention CASH ONLY, they do not take credit cards so be sure to put money aside for the room, ask them what the total will be when u check in. Hot showers in the room was a plus also...Aircon was great also

The bad: Taxi drivers from the airport have no idea where this hotel is located so make sure u have a map printed out from google...No in room safe, which would of been nice...No elevator, so if you are on the 4th floor get ready to do some walking ;)..When u make reservations ask to get a room closer to the ground level if possible..

The ugly: The hotel is located in the middle of the red light district. If your single and you plan on mongering, then city garden hotel is 50 steps to the right, oxford suites is 50 steps to the left, and citadel inn is 50 steps ahead which would probably be suited for those actions...Never had any problems walking around the area, they have tourist police dressed in orange neon shirts if one encounters any problems..

I would definitely stay here again..the convenience of getting taxis, the cleanliness of the rooms, and the helpful front desk made the stay enjoyable. Along with 24hr restaurants and mini markets

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to ground level..During the heat and humidity walking to the 4th floor can be q...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Tkt2travel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

I recently stayed in the hotel for about 2 weeks and it was the best decision I ever made! The price was very cheap compared to the other hotels in the area. Also the position was great as it was close to a lot of food outlets aswell as a short taxi ride to Greenbelt and other malls.

The hotel room is kind of small but is clean and bright. The bed is comfortable and the room has a large flat screen tv when you want to relax. Also it was very quiet but I made sure my room wasn't facing the main road which I'm sure would have been more noisy. The bathroom is also very clean and bright with a huge mirror and a power shower. Again not very big but there's really no need for too much space when there's so much to explore in Manila, not your hotel room! There's a wardrobe to store your clothes in and a desk with desktop lamp. None of the rooms are smoking but you can sit outside where they have a bench and tables for you to chill, have a cup of tea and smoke. There's also a small newsagents where they sell coffee, tea, smokes and snacks etc. Everything extremely convenient.

What really made this hotel stand out is the staff. I have stayed in a few more expensive hotels in the area and the level of service doesn't come close to what I experienced. The maids clean every day leaving my room spotless with fresh towels. The receptionist is always happy to help with any problems as well as the porters. I want to say a special thanks to Al and Jay who made my stay extremely pleasent! Even when asking for a taxi they will go down to the end of the road just to hunt one down for you! I have never been more pleasently surprised with such a high level of service at such low prices. When I requested a change of rooms (purely due to my own laziness) it was done as soon as a room was available with the porter carrying all my stuff to the new room with a big smile on his face!

I would say the only negative point of the hotel is that it doesn't have a lift. If you are staying on the 3rd floor it can be a little grating to walk up the stairs!

Otherwise this has been the best hotel to stay in for it's price range and I would definitely say it is better than the more expensive hotels in the area. I will certainly be booking a room in this hotel again when I next visit Manila. Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Durban for making it the most enjoyable stay I have ever had in Makati Manila.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the ground floor which saves on walking the stairs. They are quiet but sometimes...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank taichiky
q.c.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

We're at home in durban,it's clean, simple, our things are safe whenever we leave it. and when we come back our room is very clean already. staff are nice. and also the price is just right. but i would also like to ask durban if they still have the 1,300peso rate????? i might book again this august 28,2011, so i hope durban can read this. Me and my fiance would love to stay there again.acknowledgement will be appreciated.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank funkyglam
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I have stayed there many times, and I guess it´s the best value for money in Makati, travelling on a budget. You are close to everything, making this hotel a favorite among travellers. Bear in mind that it is only basic, small, but convenient, clean, and with a hospitable staff.
If you don´t like the red light district, jump on a jeepney and in five minutes you are in the heart of the shopping district instead, with access to some of the most popular bars, clubs, shops and restaurants in Manila.

Room Tip: Book in advance. They will reply your mail......
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank crawlingken
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

i was there in sept 2010 iand i had the time of my life there it a great hotel very clean and friedly people in the lobby and they always there for you.

klaas