“Just an Ok hotel....”

Ranked #78 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Just an Ok hotel....”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Chose this place because of the location, as I had been on a business trip to Makati City. Price was ok. Generally the facilities were so so and the staffs were not very friendly. The room was not good & we asked for a change of room at additional cost.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Deboroy1404

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
Cagayan de Oro, Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a post late by a couple of months, but hey I'm hearing the same reviews from other people who visited there recently so, it must be the same. I couldn't find the hotel I was booked and and was walking down the streets of Makati, since a friend recommended this hotel, I decided to check in as it was worth only PHP 1800. After checking in the hotel lobby (which was very old, dank, dark and musty), I was led to the room which was through a very dark and narrow corridor. You know those horror movies where the killer chases you down the motel or hotel hallway? Yep, it certainly feels like it was shot at the Great Eastern.

Inside the room, there were two thin pillows on the queen size bed. You know the feeling that someone just lay there or something because the pillows were all tussled up. There was only one light, which was a lamp beside the bed. I had to turn on the CRT TV to add more illumination. Two sides of the room were all windows and was fitted with thick floor to ceiling windows that looked straight from the 1970. They were so thick I had to check behind all the curtains to make sure nobody was hiding there!

It had a really big cabinet, which had two dirty extra pillows and one dusty comforter. Then the floor! With its very carpet - I don't know how long it's been cleaned. The bathroom was the final straw for me with its moldy shower curtains and piece of broken glass on the floor. And yes, I could hear noises from the other rooms.

I was too scared to sleep and actually decided to have coffee until early morning at a coffee shop in front (location wise, it is great as it is across A Venue) and probably sleep during daytime or something. The trip back to the lobby (without the bell boy) was scarier, but I decided to go out and check some hotels nearby. I finally found one that was clean and at a decent price so I decided to cancel my stay at Great Eastern. I had only checked in for around 45 minutes but they said they could no longer give me a refund or even half of it, even if I only put my bags in. They might have given it to me had I complained more but all I wanted to do was GET OUT OF THERE.

Lesson learned: always ask to see the rooms when you stay in any hotel. Demand to see the room they plan to put you in.

I know the room costs only PHP 1800, so many would say "what the hell would you expect?" But hey, I'd like to believe that even people on a budget deserve something better than that. Never going back there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank eleothegreat

Travellers are raving about these Makati hotels

Tagaytay, Philippines
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here on New Year's Eve. The price is very affordable for the location. It's not veryh are to find. It is right across A.Venue mall in Makati Ave. which has a variety of restaurants and bars around. It is also located very close to the business district. There is a secured parking area at the back of the hotel. We booked through Agoda and paid about $35 for the night so we weren't expecting very much. However, I was still surprised when we finally got to the room. Every part of the room is worn down. There are stains in the carpet and the sheets. There are holes on the wall. The remote control for the small tv doesn't work. The airconditioning took a while to cool down and it was hot during the day. The temperature knob was broken but they sent someone to fix that. In all honesty, the customer service was not bad at all. I won't say that you'll get what you paid for, because I have stayed at hotels for the same price that provided much more comfort than this. But then again if all your concerns are a place to sleep and to shower, cheap price, and a decent location, then yes, I will recommend this hotel. But if comfort is what you need, I suggest you find a different one.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Erica L
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

IThis is good hotel with good location for me and my wife.I stayed there for 9 nights from December 5 2013 until December 14 2013 and they gave me 5% discount for more than a week stay and the price is really affordable.This was my second time staying there.The staff really nice and friendly.It is a safe hotel with the good security staff.

"BUT" the hotel really need to do some renovation.Major overhaul of the hotel need to be done.The room is old and season.The paint, carpet , towels ,curtain and the bed sheet need to be replace with a new one.This hotel has already standing with his own good structure but really need to be renew and modernize as most of his item are too old.

The owner should do something to improve this hotel as this hotel has a potential to be one of the most choosen hotel in Makati with his affordable rate and its strategic place in Makati.

By the way the swimming pool also seems not well maintain.

To all the staff there, thank you for your friendly services when I was there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Azri_Abd
epsom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I knew after paying 1500 peso (£25) a night for a room in Makati, especially along Makati Ave I wasn't going to be over whelmed with what was a head of me. Check in went smoothly enough after booking through "Aisarooms" although the young chap who arrived to take me and my luggage to the room was casually dressed in jeans and t shirt, no ID & no name badge he could have been anyone. The room was very much like the hotel foyer which is located on the 4th floor, dark & dank although brightened up by a well decorated Christmas tree, the carpet in the room looked as if it could have done with a shampoo and showed signs of server wear & tear around the bed area, air con was ok, TV ok, bed comfortable, but laying on bed ones eyes wondered around the room where I could see signs of damp & dry rot. There were no light bulbs in the two bedside lights and the main light wasn't that bright, I as unable to draw back the curtains in order to gain more light as these were fixed and when I did manager to look outside the glass was that dirty that any view was obscured. The bathroom was clean and pleasant and all was fine with the facilities , shower had good pressure and a good mix of hot & cold water, the shower curtain had mould around the bottom which was a put off.
Buffett breakfast is severed on the ground floor or what appeared to be the basement, very limited choice and cold, but for 203 peso it was expectable, filtered coffee is served but if a coffee is ordered from the Café through room service one is given 3 in 1.
The staff are pleasant enough as one has come to used to when in the Philippines and being located along Makati ave makes this a hotel within easy reach of all local amenities, you get what you pay for here!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank markis1md
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 July 2013

You could probably get a better hotel for the same price as this place. Though the service is at an ok level, the hotel building itself needs some work done. I've gone to this hotel a few times with some years in between, but this place never changes. And I mean this in a not so good way. Though it was a pretty nice place the first time I stayed there, over the years it just started to lose its touch. It's lagging behind. An ok place for 1 to 2 nights, but if you're staying for more, I advise you to find a different hotel. Even investing in a little more money to get a better hotel would be better than spending a week at this place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Hannah P
Subic, Philippines
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I may stay there again. I would for sure if rooms had fresh air. Maybe they could get a ventilation system or windows that open. Nothing fancy, but a good deal for Makati. I met a guy in the elevator I am doing business with. Pretty cool!

• Stayed May 2013