“Decent Thai”

Price range: US$5 - US$10
Makati, Philippines
“Decent Thai”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Used to frequent Som's and was quite disappointed to find during this visit that the quality of the food has gone down. My favorite chicken curry tastes watered down and have less meat. The Pad Thai noodles were soggy. However, the fried spring rolls and Bagoong (shrimp paste) rice are still good. Since they have still managed to keep prices affordable, I recommend this place to satiate that crave for a quick and decent thai meal.

“My Go-to Thai food when in the Metro”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I would say that I have been a fan of the restaurant since my friend introduced it to me some 7 years ago. Yes, we had to eat in their make-shift al fresco dining before and now they have this big hug building as a testament to their success yet still retaining that thai flavor i have always loved them for.

My regular orders include Kayasai, Green Curry (chicken), Tom Yum and if I am with friends I get to order more as really those three with rice is already a food orgasm my tummy can accomodate. I recommend their Garlic Prawns then their other curries (through time, i have been stuck and will forever love green Chix curry).

Before, I used to make it my regular Sunday food haven. I'm not based in Manila for some time now, so everytime im there, i make it a point to have late lunch their and just be full with what the store has to offer.

They have expanded to three branches that I know (Mandaluyong circle and QC), but the rockwell branch will always be my home. =)

• Visited July 2014
Mandaluyong, Philippines
“Thai Experience”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband keeps on asking me out to eat at Som's. We were given a chance to dine there yesterday, and it is my first time to eat Thai food. We have ordered Pad Thai Seafood and Red Curry Beef. I must say that the Pad Thai seafood is really good. However, I am not so fond of the red curry beef. I also liked the Thai tea that my husband recommended.

• Visited June 2014
“Not the same anymore”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I used to like going here when they were still a sidewalk eating area. It had the appeal of having home cooked thai food. Now they have become a fully air conditioned restaurant, price of food has definitely increased since then, and servings has become lesser. I used to love their tom yum and chicken pandan and would visit almost every week. But the experience is not the same anymore. If i were to pay for thai food at this price range, i would go to upscale thai restaurants in the malls where service is excellent and you get your moneys worth.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Franz_pilates
Manila, Philippines
“Average Thai food, not worth its price increases.”
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

When Som's started as a sidewalk stall, Customers wait for a table and enjoy their dining experience because its affordable. Popular dishes are Tom yum soup, Catfish salad, green beef curry, fish cake, chicken pandan and Thai tea. The taste have not changed, but you will notice fewer Customers now even if they have evolved from a stall to an airconditioned restaurant. Reason? I would say the satisfaction that you get authentic thai food at sidewalk stall prices is gone. The taste has not change, but prices have definitely increased by at least 40%.
So if I will be paying $10/pax now, I'd rather go to other Thai restaurants which will have better service, bigger portions, nice interiors, and with decent plates and silverware. Som's lost their key ingredient: good thai food at affordable prices. Sawadee kap!

1 Thank MikeCarmona