“What a change!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Wellington, New Zealand
“What a change!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I've stayed here on numerous occasions and have thought that the best thing about this hotel was its neighbour, the SM Megamail. The service here has always been great but the hotel has been showing its age and the rooms were a bit dark and dingy. When I was here a few months ago, I stayed at the Sofitel and on this trip, I considered trying another hotel but didn't have time to look at others. However, on arriving, the very charming and friendly Miss Lui upgraded me to one of their refurbished rooms and what a difference! It had a big curved window and was very light and airy! A very pleasant change!

The bed was very comfortable, just how I remember the first time I stayed at a Shangri-La hotel. I used to regard this chain as being the absolute pinnacle of hotels but in the last decade or two, other hotels have sharpened up their act and the Shangri-La's have stood still!

The renovations are continuing but i was out working while all the pneumatic drills were hammering away so that didn't bother me but there was a very strong smell of adhesive in the corridor, which I would surmise, if you're a slow walker, you might be high by the time you reached the lift!

The bathroom was mainly marble and was bright and the plumbing was good!

The cable internet didn't work and despite the best efforts of the staff here,they never got it going. However, the wi-fi was passable but I usually prefer cable internet for the higher speeds.

When I booked on-line, I took as add-ons, the pickup at the airport and brekfasts but when my confirmation came through, was offered breakfasts, pickup and return to the airport and laundry for an extra 2000 PNP a day which was a better deal so I changed to this rate.

One thing I noticed when booking though was all the add-ons such as if you want to check-in earlier, before 2pm, you get charged extra, if you want to stay past midday or 11am, I can't remember which, you had to pay extra and so the list went on....

Now I understand that the hotel needs and wants to make a buck but when I see all these "Add-ons", I can't help but get the feeling that somewhere on my stay, I'm going to be gouged! But perhaps that just me and my preference to have everything included and am willing to pay for these but I'm averse to seeing them as "extras"

The airport pickup was very good with an excellent driver. The Camry came complete with cold towel, chilled water and snacks as well as wi-fi! It was a very pleasant ride in, albeit long with a travel ltime of over two hours but it was much more comfortable in the hotel car than a taxi.

Manila Airport has once again, won the title of the worst airport in Asia and I have to say, that dubious award is well-deserved so it's very pleasant to come out of the so-called terminal and wait for my lift to the hotel in Shangri-La's own waiting room.

Room service was excellent and I'd recommend the banana split for dessert.

There was a fruit bowl which was very welcome but no knife or fork?

So summarising, despite my earlier reticence to return here, I'll be back!

One last thing, bathroom scales would have been nice! This isn't a cheap hotel, and i would have expected these to be supplied.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1709 which as mentioned was on the end wth a curved window and was excellent!
2 Thank RayC888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at garden wing suite. Staff without exception very supportive and nice. Very spacious double room but little worn out. The website mentioned on going construction but it did not share that the swimming pool was out of order. There was an alternative pool a good walk away but the airco sound from the neighboring SL mall was deafening during our swim. For the moment over valued.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank 732Daniel
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear 732Daniel,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila. We are happy to know that you find our staff very supportive and nice.

We take all guest feedback very seriously and we would like to inform you that all your comments are duly noted and reviewed to further improve our product and services. We would like to let you know that our newly renovated pool will be ready by December to provide a more relaxing atmosphere to guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to experience our newly renovated rooms.
Please do not hesitate to contact us by email at esl@shangri-la.com or you may call 6338888.

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Schaub
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I reason why I chose Edsa Shangri-la Garden Wing Premier Suite is to have the best of the best service, but this was not so. Upon Arrival, I have informed Ms. On-Training (name on her tag) that I would like to pay everything in advance, meaning, pay absolutely everything till my balance is zero before check-out. Ms. On-Training (the name on her name tag), was unable to process my request, called in another staff, still unable to process, Mr. Duty Manager came in, just apologized and still unable to process advance payment, then Ms. Mitch came in and asked "how's my stay", this really ticked-me off. Asking an incoming client his/her stay during check-in is totally "clueless". After 40-minutes of the ONLY client checking-in at the front counter, all four of them are standing and unable to process ADVANCE PAYMENT. I suggest everyone should go through Front Desk Computer System Training to solve this process.

Apology can't be accepted if it is via lip-service. You cannot slap someone and apologize. The Duty Manager should be able to provide compensation for giving so much stress to incoming guest(s) id est: complimentary SPA treatment etc.

Untrained professionals is like leeches in the corporate ladder. They are as good as the rodent searching for food in your house. Bad corporate manners and lack of corporate breeding.

3 Thank RMY69
Dear RMY69,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience at Edsa Shangri-La. We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate incident in the service, which we are addressing with our Rooms Division. We are sincerely disheartened to learn that we have not met your expectations during your stay.

Your feedback is shared with the management team, and rest assured the issues you raised will be addressed in order to consistently provide the level of hospitality we normally pride ourselves in.

Your comments are important for us to implement measures to improve our facilities and services.

We hope you give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and will look forward to having you stay with us again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (632) 633 8888, or you can e-mail me at esl@shangri-la.com.

Patrick Schaub
Greenbrae, California
Reviewed 15 October 2013

All staff were very welcoming and extremely helpful. Hotel pick up at airport was punctual which was comforting since I landed at 3:30am. Nice comfortable rooms with good amenities and great water power from shower. Easy access to malls and shopping. Fantastic breakfast spread with so many choices. Pool was being renovated so unfortunately couldn't experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

The property was undergoing renovations in the garden wing, so if you need to sleep during the day I recommend asking to be in the tower. The service was wonderful, typical of the amazing Filipino people. The only down side is no services or amenities are available from a out 2am until 6am. Many business travelers must work nights because of the time zone difference to the US. Need to have at least a small food option and open the gym.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Amy A
San Leandro, California, Usa
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I like my newly renovated room. It was very spacious and very clean. A little dissapointed because i cannot use the swimming pool coz it's still under renovation. Staff were helpful. Lots of food choices from the buffet breakfast. Overall i would say my stay was excellent.

Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Luxurious and amazing, like most Shangri-La hotels. Amazing service. Great room. Dinner buffet was unbelievable. Right in the center of town. Tons of places to visit around the hotel, including shopping malls. Breakfast is also great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
#4 of 82 in Makati
The Legend Villas
The Legend Villas
#2 of 7 in Mandaluyong

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!