I am just finishing up a 4-night stay here, and my experience has oscillated repeatedly between 1 and 5 stars. The check-in was smoothly done in-room, but the corridors smelled of fresh paint and the next morning loud construction noise began at 9 AM. They told me the drilling would last till 6 PM every day. The view from my filthy window was a construction zone. One star.
They switched me to a quiet room on the 17th floor. After a meeting in the late evening, I stumbled into Paparazzi, their Italian restaurant, looking for perhaps a pizza and a glass of wine. No pizza on the menu, but what I had was superb - lobster bisque and beef short rib, with attentive service, good wines by the glass, and a relaxing atmosphere. Five stars.
The next evening I tried Senju, their Japanese restaurant. They were out of most of what I selected from their menu, simple things like edamame, toro, and green tea ice cream. The service was sporadic to non-existent. The sashimi was out-of-date and the fish that tasted the freshest, the salmon, was flown in weekly from Norway, according to the guy preparing the sushi. But he was interesting to talk with, so perhaps 2 stars here instead of one.
Disillusioned, I stopped at the lounge in the lobby for a drink. A young woman was singing old jazz standards, accompanied by a pianist. They were good. I had a glass of wine, relaxed, and award them 5 stars.
I had a massage at Chi, their spa, and have to give it 5 stars too.
Breakfast is vast and comprehensive, with Japanese, Filipino, European, American, and Indian cuisines all represented. The hot foods under heat lamps tend to be lukewarm at best. Overall, somewhere between one and 5 stars, depending on what you chose.
In summary, for the price this is a good choice, but it is not consistently a Shangri-la.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Philippines' foremost deluxe city-resort convention hotel. It offers 631 well-appointed guest rooms and suites, dining choices, and CHI, The Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Ebookers, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Travel Book Philippines, Inc. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Edsa Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edsa Shangri-La Hotel Mandaluyong
- Edsa Shangri-La Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines