“Improving on Perfection”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I first stayed in the Edsa Shangri-la ten years ago while attending a conference, and I thought it was the perfect hotel for business. This time my wife and I stayed there while vactioning in the Philippines. I was surprised that it was even better than before. From being transported from the airport at 2 in the morning, to a stress-eliminating massage in the relaxing atmosphere of the Chi Spa, the Edsa Shang has added new comforts that helped us recover from a gruelingly long flight. A concerned staff, luxurious rooms and first class restaurants are what I expect from Shangri-la properties, but the Edsa Shang has ramped it up to a new level. My wife and were
actually sorry to leave.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelmpq
There are newer reviews for Edsa Shangri-La

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Shang is like our 2nd home to our family. We usually stay here 5x a year. The hotel is between to great malls SHANG AND MEGA MALL. Hotel room is excellent and also I love the newly renovated pool area!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Ronald D
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times. This is my first time to stay in the refurbished Tower Wing. I emailed them to make sure that I stayed out of the construction noise, and they followed thru. My check in was a breeze thanks to Vianny who gave me a wonderful room on the 17th floor. The new refurbished room was excellent with more space, better lighting and climate control. The bathroom now has two types one that has bathtub and the other with rain shower. Toilet is also much better. The bed are the still the same. Fantastic. In conclusion, the shangrila room are not the same as some of the best hotel rooms in the world that I have stayed in, where my first comment was WOW, but it is luxurious, comfortable, and fantastic staff for good deal.

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Free wifi but really slow during big conferences.
Staff was very helpful especially when they saw me carrying large bags. Great breakfast! Yummy! Love the newly renovated room with the Assorted welcoming chocolates. Didn't like the shampoo, though. Otherwise, the bathroom and entire guestroom had more than enough amenities.
If it weren't for the noise from the ongoing renovation, the shang would have gotten a perfect score from me.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This review has been very difficult to write. I've stayed at Shangri-La hotels before and there has never been a problem. If anything, they have delighted me each and every time until this time.

I stayed twice and must say that the new and refurbished facility is fabulous. I also stayed at the garden wing and that is not. It is not horrible or bug ridden. No, it is still a luxury hotel but when you are a luxury hotel, the bar is higher and the garden wing of the Edsa facility is not up to that bar. I know that they are planning to refurbish but the fact is that at my stay, it wasn't refurbished yet.

In addition, I've noticed a slight reduction in staff. I've stayed at both Edsa and Makati for the last 20 years and this time, the drop off in service personnel was noticeable. They usually have people at the elevators - not this time. They usually have 2 people opening the entrance and exit doors - not this time. They usually have 3 to 4 people working at the bar area but it was down to 2 and they could barely keep up with the demand.

The general facility is still gorgeous and the people are, as always, extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: try to stay out of the garden wing if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Definitely worth the stay. Luxury around every turn. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to travel to Manila. My wife and I were impressed by all the facilities and the professionalism displayed by all staff. Looking forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The last time I stayed here, there was renovation ongoing. Now I am extremely enjoying the makeover. It's certainly worth the wait! The room interiors are refreshingly chic, with a touch of Balinese (the wood carving as borders to the wall-mounted television), Japanese (the sakura-inspired bed headboard), Thai (silk curtains), Singaporean (the botanical themed painting), and of course Filipino (capiz shell furniture). The newly added lights only emphasizes the beauty of the room. New beds more comfortable. New fixtures and amenities in the bathroom; I'm glad they retained the mist-free mirrors. Finally, they realized that a flat-screen TV would complement very well. I stayed in the west wing of the 17th floor and part of the view is the amazing light show of the twin towers of St. Francis Square. Some hotels boast of being next door to a mall; here you have two huge ones (Shangril and SM Megamall and the former also had a recent expansion so more food and shopping choices as if you didn't have enough already). Everything may have changed for the better, but the hotel staff have remained consistently friendly, hospitable, efficient and helpful. Of course, with such a renovation it is expected that the rates would also follow, but in this case, it's all worth it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
The Peninsula Manila
#6 of 86 in Makati
Walled City
The Manila Hotel
The Manila Hotel
#5 of 109 in Manila

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!