“Commended for Concept”

Ranked #8 of 513 Restaurants in Mandaluyong
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2016

Surely this is a unique concept in metro manila: a health conscious restaurant. I am certainly glad that someone has attempted this endeavor. The menu attempts to mark the items that are not organic. From what I understand, the Philippines does not have legislation that mandates what ‘organic’ really means, like countries such as the USA. So…I would take what any restaurant in the Philippines says as ‘organic’ with some skepticism. For example, for those Americans that regularly shop at a Whole Foods, you know that ‘organic’ fish and seafood is controversial and does not truly meet the organic rules on other food items. So, while Green Pastures seems to consider fish and other seafood on their menu as ‘organic’, it is not truly in the strict sense expected in some other countries where the term ‘organic’ is highly regulated.

The menu offers a huge variety. We ordered about 10 different dishes to share family style. Some were better executed than others. Overall, food tasted decently.
However, for a restaurant that touts ‘healthy’ options, nearly every meal was overly greasy. I realize that ‘organic’ does not necessarily mean ‘low calorie’. Still, to me ‘healthy organic’ means a low or no pesticide meal, that isn’t overly loaded with unnecessary calories. I would say from the 10 dishes, maybe one might meet a westerner’s expectation on ‘healthy’. If this seems rather harsh, keep in mind that this Is based on a comparison to someone who does groceries at a Whole Foods or similar regularly, and have national level athletes in the household who must watch what they consume.

Service was excellent from the tolerant waiter who smiled as he responded to impatient questions. The location on the fourth floor in the newish wing in this upscale mall…is terrible. You eat next to the escalator and might be seated in the mall walkway. Do not plan on a romantic meal at this place.

Hmmm...how to rate this place. If I use North American standards, Green Pastures would warrant a 2/5. However, expectations on this type restaurant needs to be tempered relative to the locale. I give this place about a 3.5. But the attempt in new territory for Metro manila, the place warrants a ‘4’. Yes, there are issues to be worked on, however it is better than most restaurants around the area and the concept attempted can be commended.
Just don’t expect a western style organic / healthy meal.

Reviewed 3 February 2016 via mobile

One of the restaurants in the east wing of Shangrila. Something to eat once in a while specially if you are an ordinary person who eats anything savory regardless of its health benefits. I am not a big fan of organic stuff but I find the food delicious and something fresh for the palate. I love the salad and the chicken. I am not sure what exactly they were called or what herbs or organic elements were put into them but I loved them.

The interior was nice and adds something to the experience. Prices are high. But a bit maybe reasonable for the "nutrients" that you get, I guess?

Reviewed 19 January 2016 via mobile

Green pastures was a breath of fresh air! It's so difficult to find healthy, interesting, organic food with gluten free options and tasty treats all round. The salads are mountains of colour and fun, cool twists and fresh juices. There's something for everyone too: beer and steak? You're covered! The portions where big and beautiful. An oasis in a fast food city. We are impressed and relieved to of found this spot, service went out of their way too as we arrived shortly before closing but they still pulled out all the stops until the end! Smiling, efficient and the food was delicious. No doubt 5 stars great job. (Definitely more expensive then most places in the Philippine though)

Reviewed 22 December 2015 via mobile

Had dinner with friends. No prior reservation but got a table for 4 right away maybe because it's weeknight. The food yes it's organic but nothing to rave about. The prices are high and they are same as 5 star hotel prices. The place is just so so, the menu needs to be replaced as they are just photocopies on A4 paper and not presentable at all. If they want that kind of menu presentation they need to change them on regular basis. Not so attentive staff as the food we cancelled was still served. Veggie burger was dry and crab meat pasta was salty! Overall this restaurant is just ordinary with extra ordinary prices.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

A friend took me to this restaurant. It's pricey but well worth it! I had the Autumn Sundrise salad of Mesclun, baby spinach, roasted sweet potatoes, blue cheese, baked onions, warm dinelli organic bacon, farm egg, candied walnuts, pears, balsamic vinaigrette. I couldn't and can't stop rhapsodizing about it. It was divine. My friend and I shared a burger---expensive at 650 pesos--but also very good. We halfed the Meat on Meat Classic Cheeseburger described in the menu as Grilled grass-fed beef blend stuffed with 48 hour short rib, homemade cheddar cheese, lettuce, pickles, onion and tomatoes. I would go back here and eat the same thing! But it's no longer October and Autumn and I was told the menu changes with the season. Wonder what they have for December and Christmas?