“Outstanding”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Akirkeby, Denmark
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Highlights were excellent service. The staff is among the best I have ever encountered. I just can not say enough good things about this hotel. The room and bath were spacious and nicely appointed. Stayed for 3 days and had a marvellous time. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lala A
GMNHH, General Manager at New Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear guest,
Thanks for your nice review, I'm very happy that you liked our hotel and our service.
I will relay your message to my staff and encourage them to keep up the European standards and the warmth of the Filipino service.
We are looking forward to welcome you again.
Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Breakfast is great! Spacious rooms. Big bed. Not a problem with transportation because it is near the metro rail transit. Near shopping malls. They just dont have any fitness center. Hope they can add this to their amenities.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tyler260
Beveren, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

The New Horizon is very close to Makati so ideal for going shopping. I always use the hotel as a stopover, when taking other trips.
The restaurant is quite ok and I appreciate the European dishes.
The rooms are spacious.
The service is helpful, refreshingly I would say.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PrinceBaki
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel is closer to the airport side of the city - if no traffic about 25 to 30 minutes. It is in Mandaluyong. It has very spacious rooms with TV, Fridge, safe and good airconditioning and decent bathroom with basic amenities. The rooms are clean and maintained well. It has a small lobby with great friendly staff. A decent restaurant with a good breakfast buffet. Eggs cooked to order and everything you need. Room service and Ala carte is also available.

It is also walking distance to the main road where there are many taxis, Motor cycle taxis, 7/11, Robinson's Shopping Mall and the train station. All between 3 to 5 minutes walking.

Room Tip: For me, higher the floor the better
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dishanw
Makati, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I booked a room a week ago then i paid a day before my check in but then when we came and have to check in we waited long hours and i was told that the room was not yet ready ! How suck is that, huh?!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank prettyliar_ice
GMNHH, General Manager at New Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying in our hotel.
I’m sorry to hear that you had to wait a long time before you could check-in.
The normal check-in time is at 2 PM and when you arrive much earlier than we will still try to accommodate you IF there is a room available. But we are forced to keep you waiting when all the rooms are still occupied…but the very maximum is until 2 PM.
It is NEVER our intension to offer you a bad service; we will do whatever we can to accommodate you the earliest possible.
Kind regards.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the New Horizon Hotel for 4 nights (from April 5 to 9) and I found the place to be satisfactory for our purpose. We opted for a luxury room on the Agoda website, which reduced the hotel room's price by around 20%. This came with buffet breakfast.

Upon check in, I got frustrated because they gave us a smoking room even after I specifically highlighted that we wanted a non-smoking one. This was a big letdown. I asked the woman if she could do anything to resolve this matter and she said there's nothing to be done because they were fully booked. Not wanting to get stressed out (since I was on vacation), I told her to just move us as soon as a non-smoking room became available. Plus, she was apologetic and nice the whole time. Still, there was no excuse for it.

As soon as I stepped out of the lift on my way to our room, the heavy smell of smoke and a hint of lavender assaulted my nostrils. They were trying so hard to mask the smell by putting scent dispensers along the corridors, but they failed miserably. There was this heavy quality to the air that made me want to gag. We ended up spending the night in that smoking room and when I woke up the next day, my hair and my shirt smelled of cigarettes. And I noticed the bed smelled of smoke too. After breakfast, we had to remind them of our request and good thing, there was one available non-smoking room.

So for anyone interested in staying in this hotel, let me make it easier. Here are some considerations:

• Room: Expansive luxury (studio) room with cable TV, fridge and pot for boiling water; can comfortably accommodate visiting family and friends and still have a lot of room to move around.
• Wifi: Decent Internet speed
• Bathroom: Big, clean and everything was in order
• Furniture: Old and tired (the whole place needs refurbishing)
• Bed: Big and comfy
• Location: Along one of the busiest highways in Manila (EDSA Mandaluyong) so it has its pros and cons
• Location poses some problems such as the cleanliness of the surroundings (smelled of pee on the sidewalk); very chaotic when you step outside the hotel because of fast jeepneys and noisy tricycles, and just basically the crowd of people that does not seem to disappear no matter the time of day. Relatively safe though; no untoward incident.
• Cab: Relatively easy to get since the hotel is along the highway. There were taxis waiting outside sometimes. Other times though, it was a challenge and involved quite a bit of waiting.
• Eats: A few steps away are Wendy's, McDonald's and Jollibee. Robinson's Pioneer (a popular mall) is on the other side of the highway.
• Convenience store: 7-Eleven and a bigger 24-hour grocery store almost a stone's throw way.
• Buffet breakfast: Just okay. It's meant to fill the tummy, not to satisfy the taste buds. They have a very small selection and the fish they served when we were there did not taste fresh at all. Juices were instant sugar-filled concoctions (no fresh OJ) but coffee was nice. Fruits were average. However, it's not to say that they didn't have winners. In gist: don't expect too much from the advertised "European standards". Food quality and selection were far from it.
• Staff: Generally friendly and courteous, which to me is and will always be a big deal.
• Room service: Prompt in responding to requests such as ironing board, clean-up at different hours and the like.

If you're after practicality and convenience more than anything else, this hotel is a great choice. But if you're on vacation and you want a nice and relaxing hotel environment that offers plenty of amenities and distractions, do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
GMNHH, General Manager at New Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Madam,
Thanks for your review regarding our hotel, we appreciate your feedback.
My apologies for not offering you a non-smoking room upon check-in. I strongly reminded my team to give full attention to the specific guest requests. The reason is that we received your booking just the day before you checked-in and due to the high occupancy we ran out of non-smoking rooms. Luckily we were able to transfer you the next day to a non-smoking room.
Regarding the environment I must say that Manila is indeed a very crowded city. However our hotel and the surroundings have a perfect safety record. During the last 7 years that I operate the hotel there was no incident with any of our guests. Our hotel is also protected by 4 security guards, 24 hours a day. Since we are located along the highway, transportation is very easy to all major places in Manila. A metro station (MRT) is at walking distance from our hotel.
Indeed our rooms are very large with a comfortable bed and the furniture is only 2 years old.
Regarding the breakfast: We serve Western and Asian dishes but we cannot provide all the different cuisines of the world such as Indian, Arabian, etc.. In our breakfast buffet we offer 3 European dishes, 3 Asian dishes, 5 kinds of home-made bread, croissants, Danish pastry, Dim-Sum, Soup, Shabu-shabu, Omelet station, Salad bar, European cold cuts, 3 desserts, Cereals and 4 kinds of fresh fruit. We have a coffee and tea station and we have 2 kinds of juice (from a bottle) and fresh milk. Daily we change all these dishes and after 14 days we go back to the first menu…it’s a two weeks cycle. We have a Belgian Executive chef.
New Horizon is a standard hotel under European management. Indeed you can find more amenities and more luxury when you stay in a 5 star hotel but the price tag of the room and the food will be 2 to 3 times higher. New Horizon hotel offers a very high value for money and that’s why most of the time we are fully booked (as you experienced).
Therefore I appreciate you closing words: “If you are after practically and convenient than this hotel is a great choice”.
My sincere thanks for staying in our hotel; I hope to welcome you and your husband again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

My wife and I were unexpectedly delayed in Manila. A friend recommended this hotel and made a provisional booking. The hotel was conveniently situated, the rooms large and comfortable, the restraurant good, the staff friendly and efficient, and the price excellent.
Will definately be using this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Go Hotels Mandaluyong
Red Planet Ortigas, Manila
Privato Hotel Manila
Privato Hotel Manila
#5 of 21 in Pasig

Been to New Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!