“Clean, Cooperative Staff, Small Beds, Short Shower”
Review of New Horizon Hotel

New Horizon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I planned ahead using Travel-O-City and made 2 separate one-day reservations, 1 for arrival date and 1 for day before departure. I screwed up and had the departure date wrong and could not get any help from TOC, who wanted me to lose the whole pre-paid departure date reservation money. However, the staff at the hotel made the change on-site without any problems or attitude, UNLIKE TOC!

Arrived late for the first reservation, about 2345, but was greeted with smiling faces of the door man and 2 pretty receptionists. Checked in quickly and made the change to the 2nd reservation for a week later and headed to my room.

Entering the room I found amenities to be dated, like 1970's America, but typical of the hotels I have stayed in for UK, Ireland and Europe, so I was not shocked as some folks may be. Compared to the provincial amenities where I was headed, this was a castle.

The beds were small, but I am 6'2" and 230lbs (for metric folks - 1.9m and 109kilos) so the size is probably just right for everyone else in the world. They beds were comfortable and I rested well enough to be up early the next morning, even though the never ending Manila traffic was not so far away.

The shower was raised off of the floor about 4"-6" and really needed a stool to be safe for anyone entering or exiting as it was a noticeable height difference. Due to the raised height, the ceiling in the shower was lower than normal and with my height, was noticeable, but typical of most non-USA hotels that are not specifically tailored to US customers. Not complaining, just highlighting the difference.

I was up at 0530 the next morning and headed down to the restaurant adjacent to the hotel lobby and ate a wonderful breakfast of one of my favorite Filipino foods, 'longaniza'! There was other food as well, and I sampled most dishes, but nothing was better than that sausage! It was SPOT ON! Staff in the restaurant were attentive and nothing better could have been offered by their service or food.

The morning hotel staff was a different crew and was helpful as much as the previous night staff.

I requested TAXI service to the Domestic Airport and was shocked at the P800 charged when meter time I KNEW should have only be P120- P150 tops. I made sure to mention to the hotel on my return trip that I felt unappreciated and robbed by the high taxi price. Remember the rule, START THE METER when you get in ANY taxi, ANYWHERE!

Upon my return about a week later for my return trip to the USA, I arrived with an entourage and we were all greeted kindly as before, but by a different staffing team. This time we had 2 rooms and even though we asked for joining type rooms, we were 3 rooms away and that was fine, I was not there with my wife and kids or it would have been an issue.

We obtained a METERED taxi this time and went to Shakey's Pizza down by the city circle center and ate a great meal (love their pizza and always go there when in Manila/Makati).
We arrived back in the hotel and rested until dinner in the excellently air conditioned room!

Checked out 0500 the next morning so I could get to the airport ahead of schedule and arranged to allow my entourage to remain until their bus trip back to the province at 1700, and was met with cheerful accommodations at no extra charge!

My interactions were courteous and professional from all hotel and restaurant staff. I would have liked bigger rooms with a more modern feel like the Manila Marriott has, but the price was not $200USD a night either, like the Marriott is!

I paid $75USD for the first night and accommodated 3 people, buffet breakfast included, in a single room and the second night was $200USD for 2 rooms and 6 people, buffet breakfast included.

If there is a better hotel, with better accommodations, for a better price in the airport area, I want to know about it, becuase this one stands out as a great place to bring my family when we return in the future.

Thank you to the Staff of the New Horizon Hotel for an enjoyable stay, X2, this past April 2014.

Room Tip: Ask for larger beds :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TimeShareShy

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel's service was not that bad. The service was adequate and our needs addressed. We spent New Year's Eve and the morning of New Year's day in the hotel. We got the family room. It was big enough for us. They had room service and my sister loved the cocktails served from the hotel's bar. We stayed on the second floor with a city view, if we were given a higher floor then we might have been lucky enough to have a good view of the fire works from Makati and Bonifacio Global City.

The morning's breakfast buffet was great. There were several choices. The staff at the restaurant were very friendly.

Room Tip: The place was accessible to the city attractions of Mandaluyong and the surrounding cities.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank owellchua
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed with this hotel from March 17-28, 2014 due to Business related matters. Our company actually made the reservation since I think they are tied up with one another and well technically it's near the office (less than 5 minutes via public transportation).

Overall I had a very good experience with this hotel. I really really want to put a stress and highlight to the wonderful people who accommodated me and my officemates during our stay; from opening doors, changing our pillows whenever we feel that it smells or feels funny, assisting with our luggages, bringing our food but most of all for smiling while doing all of these. Thank you guys, sorry I forgot the names of the others. Maybe this has got to be the best part of my stay here. Thank you especially to Kuya Emman, you're the best!

We stayed in Room 225 (and Room 427 - a different story).

Our room was okay, 225, the size was enough for two people to navigate around, study, and others stuff. The lighting is good, not so dim and not so bright, just the perfect blend to make you feel at ease while doing your work. The interior needs to be updated and add some few things as well. The beds were fine, no funny smell or feel to it, quite liked the new laundry smell of it everyday! Helps me and my officemates sleep! Haha. The bathroom, it's really clean, and I'm really sensitive about the bathroom (it's what I consider generally most of the time when staying in hotels). It has a blower for heaven's sake! A big plus for me. Though the hot and cold shower is quite hard to mix and maintain.

The food on the in-house restaurant "Piccasso's Place" has a wide variety of choices (though for me I think it needs to be updated and be added by more). The taste is good my favorite is Tomato Bruschetta ❤️ yummy! For the breakfast buffet, it really is awesome, perfect to set an awesome mood for the day! Love the omelette section! (Thanks Kuya Gerald - I think he's an OJT). The pan-fried potatoes is LOVE. Overall the food quality is good.

I recommend this place to those who are planning to have a good place to stay around Mandaluyong. Location is near public transportations (jeep, tricycle, MRT-Boni, etc.) plus it's near good restaurants and malls as well. This place is quite adequate for business related stuff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James G
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed at the New Horizon hotel for a total of 7 nights in March 2014 in the Luxury room. The room and bathroom was very spacious and extremely clean. The queen size bed is comfortable and provides a very restful sleep. The buffet breakfast which is included in your stay is very good and everything made fresh daily. Everything worked well within the room and I also had a little view from my window. The location of the hotel is in close proximity to anywhere you need to get to. Taxi fare (always demand the meter to be used) from the airport will run you no more that 225php one way tip included, to the Mega mall will be around 100php tip included. Now for what makes this hotel special.

Let me start by mentioning the outstanding job Ms Xyrah the reservation specialist did replying to all my emails and answering all my questions regarding my booking. I arrived at 8 am and was greeted warmly by Ms Rhoda, a wonderful front desk receptionist, truly professional in her duties, she did everything she could to get me in my room as soon as possible knowing I was tired from a long trip. Ms Rhoda and Mr Renne (morning shift) always had a sincere greeting and warm smile whenever I entered the lobby which made my stay very welcoming, same can be said about the night shift.
The front desk staff provides the first impression as to whether the hotel is customer service oriented or not and Ms Rhoda positively exemplified that the New Horizons goal is to provide the best stay experience in Manila.

To my home town people from Hawaii or anyone as picky as I am when searching for a hotel which provides all I mentioned above look no further, this hotel has class for a very reasonable price in Manila.

Thank you to management and the owners for assembling such a wonderful staff, It is because of them I will return and recommend this Hotel to anyone visiting Manila

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dean A
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed at the horizon 7 nights total and i must say it's a very clean hotel. So clean that the entire hallway smells like a laundry soap. Also, the bedsheets smell like it too. The room is very roomy and neatly arranged. Bathroom floor is also clean. The breakfast buffet is heavenly. I ate a lot and gained weight (in a good way ) I would definitely come back. My bf and I got a discount due to their non peak season which is great. We got the luxury suite with king size bed the 1st time... but the 2nd time we got only queen size... i ordered extra bed.. and they didnt charge me!!!! which is great. Very friendly staff... Attentive. We will come back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for six days and five nights on a business trip, and experience was great. I'll start with the cons:

- Very small lobby
- Rooms and elevators were a little bit old
- No airconditioning in the corridors and they were fixing some rooms near ours so we could smell industrial stuff from the construction on our way to the rooms
- Right near the road, no garden or nice view

The pros:
- Very great service. Everyone, from the security guards to the waiters and waitresses to people in the front desk were very nice. They always greeted you with a smile and went out of their way to help you. The waiter sent us coffee and tea every night when we asked.
- Rooms are clean. I have chronic allergic rhinitis due to dust mites and I never had an allergy attack for the six days I was there.
- Rooms are spacious, three of us shared the room and sometimes four or five of us would be in a room at a time to work on some documents but it was huge
- Breakfast. Not really the big kind of breakfast spread you would get at 5 star hotels but there are plenty of choices, meat, eggs, cereals, pastry, rice, fruits, dessert and drinks. The foreign chef sits around near the counter and watches people as they relish his cooking.
- Lunch and dinner options are delicious, too.
- Very accessible - there's McDonalds, Jollibee and Wendy's on the side, as well as convenience stores. Across the road (but you had to climb to the MRT station) was a Robinson's mall. The hotel is an MRT ride away from Shangrila Mall and other parts of Metro Manila so it's a great starting point if you want to get to anywhere in MM
- Staff replied promptly to email and Facebook inquiries. While preparing for the trip, I asked if there was a gym in the hotel because I was planning to workout while there. I got an immediate reply saying there was no gym, but was given a recommendation to the nearest gym.

If you see the cons I placed above, these are all very minor and are nothing to worry about. If I need to stay somewhere in Mandaluyong, I would go back there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank eleothegreat
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I've stayed at New Horizon 3 different times. Once in 2012 for our wedding anniversary, we got the large suite, once in Aug. 2013, pictures are below, and then again in Feb 2014. Each time, the front staff was courteous, welcoming and helpful. I like the consistency. The reason I have stayed here 3 times is because it is my go-to place in Metro Manila because of the quality, safety, and price is great for everything you get.

The porters/bellhops were always nearby to help, it wasn't a hassle to get one or anything. Once I even called downstairs for someone to come kill a spider for me, and they did. I felt silly asking, but I HATE spiders! That is the only insect I have seen in this hotel, so their pest control is good.

The rooms were immaculate. A room like this would normally be close to double the price, from my research and experience. I even saw them cleaning out the air conditioning filters, which tells me that their attention to detail is cleanliness and good hygiene. My room was free from dust, the floors were super clean, nice hardwood (seemed like that bamboo/sustainable flooring, which is also cool).

Each room I've been in has a hair dryer, hot water pot, coffee cups, coffee, tea, etc. A mini-bar, refrigerator, full cable tv (not the cheap package), nice size TV. The beds are super comfy, there is a safe in the closet, it's not a small closet either, it's 3 large sections. We got great sleep (better than I do at home!) and of course, hot and cold water in the shower and sink. You don't find that too often in Metro Manila.

I feel very safe and comfortable while staying here. It is literally a block from EDSA, it's not difficult to get a taxi, and even though it's right next to EDSA it's quiet. I don't know if they have soundproofed the building or something, but you can't hear the traffic at all. I don't know how they do it.

Breakfast buffet is free with your stay. It is good. I have to admit, my first trip in 2012 it was just ok, but it seems to keep getting better and better. I really like that they seem to have an in-house pastry chef (being one myself, I can tell the difference), and they have a nice variety and selection of foods, both Filipino and other. They also have an egg station where they will prepare eggs or omelettes to your liking/request. Juice, coffee and tea are also included. Full-service breakfast buffet.

7-11 is across the street so if you need anything else, it's a 2 min. walk, and not too bad for traffic.

I recommend this hotel to anybody that needs to stay in Manila for business or pleasure. It's super close to MegaMall (which is one of the biggest malls in the Philippines, it has EVERYTHING) and not TOO far from MOA. I will be returning on my next trip down.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Go Hotels Mandaluyong
#8 of 22 in Pasig
Rio Suites
Rio Suites
#2 of 11 in Mandaluyong

Been to New Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!