“You will get what you pay”
Review of Shogun Suite Hotel

Shogun Suite Hotel
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Pasay
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We staid here only for 1 night and it was really relaxing. But don t forget your earplugs! We had room for 4 with AC, there were 4 quite big beds, table, TV, minibar and bathroom. Breakfast was included only for 2 people, so we have to paid for 2 more. It was typical philippinos breakfast (rice, meat etc.). Service was for budget hotel above average. For short time of stying I would recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend staying again unless there are no more options and staying near the airport is a necessity. For how much it is the rooms are not great and smell like smoke but the desk staff is genuinely helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Am_in_hk
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a place to stay near bisiyors hotspots then this could be it. The mall of asia is only a couple of minutes away as well as naia. It is located beside a mall which is gobsmacked right by mrt taft which you could ride to go to makati. We stayed at the family suite which is big enough to fit all five of us. Bathroom is quite crampy, and the food is good enough. What i like about the place though is that despite its being a budget hotel, the staff attends to your needs and requests. Also, its nice to hang out by the roof deck restaurant and watch the busy city below

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I couldn't forget the experience that I had with Shogun hotel. I was the one who booked the stay of my aunt and her family from the province. Since it's only a budget hotel, i didn't expected much. The room is too small, (quite dark) lighting fixture is not enough to lit the entire room, no ventilation and it smells terrible. One thing that disgust me was when i wanted to have our breakfast packed since my aunt and her family were leaving for the airport early to catch their 6am flight to the US. I called the receptionist and told her that we can't eat our breakfast, i asked her to have it packed instead. I even offer to pay for the styrofoam. To my dismay, she said it's not allowed. You're kidding me? The breakfast is included in our room and we paid for it yet we can't bring it. So disappointing!

The services and the hotel as a whole needs improvement. I will never recommend the hotel to my relatives and friends. Definitely my 1st and last stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank irene l
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed at Shogun for three nights before returning back to Los Angeles. They were fairly inexpensive for Manila, 1700 pesos per night for standard rooms with buffet breakfast for two included (I paid 1900 pesos for a room with a refrigerator).

I needed a room near my cousin, and the only one near them smelled like a smoker had been smoking in it all day long. When I inquired with the front desk, they told me the rooms were non smoking. I then asked them why there was an ashtray on the table--they said its for the table. That made no sense whatsoever, plus the fact there was a man smoking in the hallway while waiting for an elevator--making the hallways reak further.

Everytime I would leave the hotel, they would ask me for my key. They said it was to "make up" my room. I didn't want anyone in my room, nor did I want anyone to touch anything in my room--yet the same people would ask EVERY time I tried to leave (sometimes 4-5 times a day, seriously? Why do you keep asking).

We had room service the first night, it was very greasy, and I ended up puking it up later. The buffet breakfast was terrible--by the 3rd day the only thing I was eating from there were the over easy eggs and rice and the freshed cut pineapple. Their corned beef was probably the cheap stuff (very floury), any sausages they served tasted floury and pasty (and I'm not a picky breakfast person, I love filipino breakfasts!). They did have boneless bangus one morning, and that was delicious. If they spent a little more money in their "complimentary breakfast buffet" it would have more appeal, but I would of been happier going out to Jollibee or Chowking and getting their breakfast meals.

Shogun is very close to the train station, in fact, it is right next door. This is great if you want to travel throughout Manila, heading to Cubao, etc. That being said, it is also very crowded in the area with Jeepneys and tricycles downstairs, and Shogun is in between almost-one way streets on both sides. We had to take a 15 minute detour by taxi every time we would try to get back to the hotel, because of the way the streets work.

Service is terrible. I would ask for toilet paper from the front desk, and it would never arrive. Then I would call, and it would still not arrive. My cousin would call for me, and it would finally showed up. Just a fluke? I scheduled an 8am laundry pick up, no one ever came. Finally at 10am I called and they said they would send someone, and no one ever came. Cousin, yet again, had to call, and someone finally showed up. It was similar service trying to get my laundry back, get more toilet paper, and then it would take 20 minutes to get a luggage cart for checkout (I would have been better off going downstairs and getting a cart myself).

They do have a small pool on the 8th floor, which has a gorgeous view of the city (particularly at night). They will NOT let you take your room towels to the pool and they will charge you 40 pesos per pool towel (seriously?).

Overall, it was a cheap hotel. I'd rather pay a few more bucks and try other hotels in the area that may have better service, don't charge you to use their pool (in towel rentals), better rooms (that don't smell like smoke) and better food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PhishPhood
Reviewed 6 January 2013

this was the best hotel i have ever stayed in in manila , the pool was on the 8 th floor so youi could swim all night and the price was so cheap and included a buffet breakfast of all you can eat , loved it and the staff were all very friendly

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quiter
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank damian a
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My Wife and I were only scheduled to stay here for one night, but we ended up staying a full week after we accidentally left our passports in the taxi that took us to the airport. We were distraught, and the airport security as well as the local police really didn't seem too concerned about our plight, which only made matters worse. With no phones, and no internet access, we decided to return to the hotel.

When we got to the hotel and explained our situation we were instantly taken care of as if we were frequent guests.

The Hotel security takes down the license plate and company name of every taxi that picks up one of their guests, and they also have a CCTV security system. Thanks to these security precautions, we were able to identify the taxi that had our passports.

The level of kindness and personal care that was then shown to us warmed our hearts. The Hotel Facilities Chief personally escorted us to the local police station, and helped us file a police report. He also made sure that we had copies of the police report so that we could take them to our embassy. Once we got back to the hotel, he noticed that there was a mistake in the police report. He turned around and went back to the police station by himself and had them correct it.
After this, the Marketing Director got us in touch with our embassy, and printed off all the forms we needed, free of charge, so that we could have them for our embassy first thing the next morning.

The personal help these individuals gave us was even more remarkable considering this all happened during a very busy weekend for the hotel, as they were also hosting a wedding and a conference at the same time as this was happening. We would have understood if they were too busy to help us, but they made us feel like we were their first priority.

We are extremely grateful that the hotel staff took such great care of us. We had already checked out, and the theft occurred at the airport, so they didn't have to do anything for us, yet they chose to help us, and we are grateful.

This is a budget hotel, and the rooms and food reflect this. (not outstanding, but certainly acceptable.) This budget hotel, however, does not have budget staff. Their staff are 5-star, and it is for this reason that the Shogun hotel is the only hotel we will consider for future stays in Manila.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple