“Service level on the way down”

Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Singapore
“Service level on the way down”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This is my 6th stay at this apartment in 1.5 years, and while all facilities in and out of the room remain of high quality, I noticed that the service level has gone backwards of late, unfortunately. I stayed in Room 1010 for 2 nights checking in on 23 April. On my final night there, I requested for a late check-up at 2pm the next day which they kindly granted. My meeting was to end at 11 am and I had planned to return to the apartment to refesh myself and catch up on emails before my 2pm transfer to the airport. I also requested for a wake-up call at 7:15 am. The next morning, I noticed that the wake up call didn't come at all. Not a problem I thought, it must have been a rare miss on their part. In any case, I woke up on my own at 7 am. After breakfast, on my way out, I thought I'll just remind the front desk about my late check-out. I was surpised by their remark that my request "didn't show up on their system" and that I needed to check out at 12 noon. After a check with her supervisor, the person who served me informed me that the latest check-out time they can offer is 1 pm. When I explained to them that they had agreed to a 2pm check-out, their response again was that irresponsible "it didn't show up on our system". I was naturally taken aback by their lack of professionalism and decided to check out there and then, meaning that I had to return to my room and get my luggage. I thought the sensible thing any good hotel staff would do is to ask if I needed help with my bags. That didn't come. To make matters worse, a considerable large screw came loose from the door and landed on my shoulders (thank God it missed my head!) when I returned to the room to get my bags. I took the screw to the front-desk and told them what happend (this is a safety issue!!) Instead of inquiring if I was hurt, the supervisor gave me a look of shock (or suspicion) and was at a lost of words... I think she basically didn't know what to do. I decided then that I will not be the nice and reasonale guest that I am, and enquired them about the missed wake-up call. Instead of offering an apology, their reponse came in the form of a defensive excuse, a pathetically immature "regarding the wake-up call, you didn't answer the phone... so we immediately called our colleagues in the restaurant and got to know that you were already having your breakfast!" Yes of course... Oakwood, I went to restaurant at 7:45 am, which means your wake-up call came 30 mins late! Anyway, I fedback to them before I left that they need to improve on their internal communication. They responded, "Sorry sir, this will never happen again...."

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gcwchua
Rosalie A, Executive Assistant to the GM at Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you firstly for your ongoing support of the hotel. We note you have been a regular guest with us over recent times. I was disappointed to read your feedback regarding our telephone wake-up service and the way we handled your request for a late check-out both of which I have passed on to our Front Office Manager. Clearly we have had a breakdown from our usual standards of service and I apologize for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Oakwood Premier Joy~Nostalg Center Manila.

Rick Erdos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times while in Manila for business and have never had a bad experience. Right from the very beginning the staff are very helpful and are always wanting to make my stay the best it can be. Staying up to 3 weeks at for each visit the staff quickly recognized me every day and always greeted me by name everywhere I went and always asking how my stay was so far. The rooms are very spacious and great to unwind in after a long flight or day at work.

Upon arrival the rooms are always spotless and cleaned very thoroughly every day. The bathrooms are great with amazing with huge mirrors, shower/sauna and bath.
The hotel food is great although room service can be a little slow (although I did expect it to be at the 6-7pm time).

The only other issue I have had is a couple of light globes blowing and on my way out I notified the staff of this and it was fixed (and my room cleaned) by the time I came back a couple of hours later.

Highly recommended and I would definitely stay here for personal travel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sgermain88
Rosalie A, Executive Assistant to the GM at Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are delighted to know that you always enjoy your stay in our hotel and that our services were to your liking. Once again, our sincerest appreciation for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Oakwood Premier Joy~Nostalg Center Manila.

Armenia, Colombia
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Why? .. Imagine yourself coming from a long International flight, heading to your hotel.. Arriving, first getting greeted by a smile, being asked how the trip was, if there is anything which could be done to enjoy your stay.. and you haven't even entered the room ..

Coming to that part.. imagine further when the bellboy carries in the bags, and you have an entire 150 sqm, 3 room apartment, with antique furniture, overlooking the city, with steam shower, jacuzzi, and 3 flat screen tv's !! .. What is there to criticize ? .. simply nothing.. every corner of the apartment was cared for, fresh fruits on the table, leather sofa(s?), dinner table, washing machine, a double king size bed .. this was just too much too handle.. only downer was you really could not concentrate at work, but simply just wanted to get back .. This is what I call a "home away from home" .. Could easily live there a lifetime .. Talking about breakfast, the morning buffet was a surprise every day, more like a brunch with all kinds of different food, carefully cooked, prepared and decoratively put on plates.. amazing !!

Will come back at any time..

Room Tip: A good tip would be to stay on a high floor to get that city overview !
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mikeswe
Rosalie A, Executive Assistant to the GM at Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for staying at our hotel and giving us such a great feedback. We will certainly pass on your comments to all our Team. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Oakwood Premier Joy~Nostalg Center Manila.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property for a week. Check in was a bliss, we were never dissappointed with our room, all the facilities are working perfectly. Even the A/C works to our satisfaction. Housekeeping staff was very polite and accomodating. Never had a request that we have to wait for a long period of time before they deliver. We stayed at the 1 BR suite and we both agreed that it was spacious, the kitchen had all the tools that you could think of. There's a washing machine, though, we only used it once. Overall, I was very satisfied. Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Rosalie A, Executive Assistant to the GM at Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, services and hotel facilities. Your feedback has been shared to all our staff . We would be pleased to have you as our regular guest.

Once again, thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back again to the Oakwood Premier Joy~Nostalg Center Manila.

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is so far the best I've ever been. We stayed at the one bedroom suite (approx. 85sqm) and we find it very spacious. They got best kitchen complete with tools and it has a nice washing machine too. They got a very nice bathroom, nice big with television. Rooms are sound proof. Staff are very polite too.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Rosalie A, Executive Assistant to the GM at Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback to us about our hotel, its facilities and staff. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Overall, my family and I enjoyed our stay at one of the 3-bedroom Executive Suites. The rooms were beautiful, and very comfortable. The beds in particular, were exceptionally comfortable. So, even when I only had 4 or 5 hours sleep, I felt well rested. The kitchen was spacious although there could have been a wider variety of cooking utensils- pots and pans, specifically. My stepmom who loves to cook, often had to make do with the large pots and pans when cooking smaller meals because she eventually became embarrassed to keep asking guest services for additional kitchen tools. The bathrooms were nice, although I was surprised that no bidets were installed - which I thought would have been a standard in a serviced apartment of this caliber. The steam shower in the bathroom was also malfunctioning. We contacted guest services and they were able to fix it temporarily, but after one use, it broke down again. Although, when I was able to use it, it was heavenly. One of the exceptional facilities included in the package, was free use of the gym and pool, which my brothers enjoyed thoroughly. The equipment was new and everything was provided for - towels, water, etc. - which makes it very convenient for the guests. The one major slip up, in my opinion, was their unwillingness to accommodate a particular request I made regarding the free complimentary breakfast; We were entitled to free complimentary breakfast for 2 for each day of our stay. On the first day, it completely slipped my mind that this was included in the package. By the end of the day, when it did occur to me, we contacted guest services to ask whether it would still be possible to avail of the 2 free breakfasts that we were unable to consume, on the following day along with the 2 complimentary breakfasts that would be provided for on that day. In other words, we were requesting that we be allowed to avail of the free breakfast we missed in conjunction with the breakfast that we were entitled to on the following day. Guest services told us this was not possible for whatever reason I am still not aware. So, we asked to speak to the manager who was busy at the time. We were contacted relatively quickly, only to be told the same thing. I am completely baffled by this considering that we were not asking for anything extra.It was something we were entitled to but had just forgotten to avail of. They should review their policy on this. It makes no sense to me. Barring that, our stay was lovely

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Oakwood

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have already completed more than 60days of stay in the Oakwood Premier Service Apts, Manila as part of my international assignment and surprised to see poor housekeeping & breakfast services. Though there are a lot of pure vegetarian Indians staying there and we all requesting for atleast one good vegetarian dish (not even an Indian dish), they are reluctant to honor that yet. Moreover today I've received a notification from the Oakwood management that there would not be any Housekeeping support on the April 4th, 5th &6th, 2012 owing to the holy week!! Where in the world have anyone heard of a service industry not working on a 365day cycle in a year due to some celebration!!! I've asked them who would clean the trash can in the kitchen & toilet and they do not have an answer!! Pathetic! I am coming from a nation where the staff of the Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai sacrificed their lives to save the guests while they're under terrorist attack. Initially I reported issues pertaining to theft of food and knick-knacks and the mgmt agreed to several instances being reported by other guests too in the past..but no action to curb those?!! I helped them set-up the housekeeping processes by creating checklists since there were no predictability on the list of services which I could expect day after day. Still I see a lot of opportunities with them to improve and do not think they are anywhere close to the other Oakwood apts worldwide. Sad!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Oakwood

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Sir,

We thank you for the feedback. I understand our Guest Relations Manager has made contact with you directly to follow up on the concerns raised.

We trust you will enjoy the remainder of your stay with us.