“Pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Manila Galleria
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed 12 March 2007

I did not have particularly high expectations, given other reviews. But everything worked well, with the exception of Internet coverage which is expensive and troublesome. I booked a junior suite, which has a separate living/working area. The room was large, well equipped and clean. I found staff very helpful and friendly and the location is excellent. I used the MRT a couple of times. It is only a 7 minute walk to the MRT, behind the ADB building.

Breakfast was better than the usual hotel buffet breakfast.

The gym has only a few exercise machines and is very busy in the hours after work.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Paradise_Traveller

Reviewed 8 March 2007

I booked this hotel for a company function while I was still in the US. At first, everything seems to be alright with the arrangements. I was repeatedly assured by the Events Manager that everything is alright and that I don't need to secure any additional info. However, they had some staff turnover that messed up my reservations. My new contact person had no idea what he was doing and did not provide me with all the necessary information such as pre-requisite information on how to use my company's credit card. Suffice to say, I ended up having to use my own credit card and had to file an expense report later. He was also exceptionally rude and threatened me with security. They gave me a free one night stay and a discount for all the hassle, rudeness, and inconvenience I went through. However, I still don't think I'll ever use this hotel again.

Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank dennisdpt
Reviewed 22 December 2006

I can't think of a better travel bargain than this hotel.
Like other reviewers, I found the common areas — bar, lobby, lounges and main dining room — on par with any five-star facility. The variable here seems to be the rooms — some great, some not so great. One reviewer even suggested trying the adjacent sister hotel, the Crowne Plaza, newer and with a more expansive lobby, with rooms starting at about $18 more than the Holiday Inn rooms. But why leave anything to chance or to a hack travel agent or a web site not affiliated directly with Holiday Inn?
For $72 a night, the same price as the basic rooms at the Crowne Plaza, we got not only a one-bedroom suite, but the EXECUTIVE one-bedroom suite. It's available right on the official Holiday Inn Web site. (Basic rooms start around $58.) Through the executive lobby, with special seating and floor treatments, the bell hop whisked us thought the rich wood door to a newly carpeted grand foyer and living-dining room of our suite, complete with mini bar, couch, chairs and wall-to-wall windows with spectacular views of the Robinson’s Galleria district. Next came a solid marble bath with recessed lights, a Jacuzzi and separate glassed-in shower. Designer toiletries included special shampoos and conditioners, bath salts, body gels and even toothbrush and razor kits — replenished daily. The Terry cloth robes and complementary slippers were a nice touch. On to the master suite, again with expansive views of the city, recessed lights, a huge television and a bedside console to control piped-in music in every room, including the bathroom, plus lights, etc.
The $72 price didn't include the acclaimed breakfast buffet. But for non-gluttons, the room-service breakfast was superb. You can get a continental breakfast, which included cereal as well as an assortment of pastries and breads, plus juice (and use the free in-room coffee/tea service) for about $7, plus 10-percent gratuity. That's it! If you want a full Filipino or American breakfast, which included all the breads, cereals, plus a fruit plate and yogurt, that's $14 — all with proper linens and elegant and ample table service.
The difference in the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn lobbies are because the Holiday Inn main floor is just for checking in and out, with the lounges and restaurants on the fourth floor, leading to the entrance of the expansive six-level Robinson's Galleria mall (complete with movies, games, groceries, a pharmacy and even a unbelievably competent and affordable medical center for those who drank too much of the local water). The Crowne Plaza has all those facilities on a tri-level area, which makes it seem more expansive.
The pool, which is shared by both hotels, is a marvelous oasis five floors above the traffic, complete with palm trees and a wading pool with water features and a nearby fountain — a perfect place to order up a few mango smoothies. The stylish spa area, also off the fifth floor, has ample lockers and a great just-opened boxing gym for novices, plus regular exercise classes and work-out machines,
The staff is courteous and professional and more than grateful for even a small tip — even though you'll want to tip like a king since you are made to feel like one.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank howieeg
Reviewed 3 October 2006

Our family of 5 had a great time when we stayed for about 2 weeks 2 summers ago so we again booked online at the HI Galleria. We had made reservations for 3 seperate weekends while we travelled in & out of Manila. We had requested our favorite non smoking Twin Deluxe room at the end of the hallway which is quite bigger that the regular twin rooms. We were later joined by my sister and her son from LA which made it necessary for us to get different accomodations.

After a long very early flight , a quick check in was truly appreciated & although the front desk staff was not overly welcoming, (in fact, so sory to say that they were the least friendly of the entire staff ) they were professional & accomodated our requested room. Two staff members brought in our suitcases soon after we got to the room. We called for Housekeeping to stock up on toiletries since the kids were going to swim & we needed extra towels & pillows. The housekeeper came in about 5 minutes with all the items we needed & recognized us from our previous visits 2 years ago !!!

We proceeded to enjoy the many restaurant choices that the Galleria had to offer. We were able to purchase personal items we needed at the stores. The in- house Salon has now closed down but they had one in the Mall where I got a much needed Foot & Hand Spa & a haircut for a very reasonable price. Our 3 children enjoyed the Arcades there as well. I booked a 4 hour treatment at the in house Suriya Spa but was left very disappointed with the very poor service & the set up of the whole place. The only available rest rooms were in one side of the establishment which necessitated you to cross the reception area while in your robe & your hair & face with treatment products etc. I cancelled subsequent visits I had planned & instead discovered the BEST no frill massages from the BLIND MASSEUSE in the basement of the Mall. We were able to go there several times for a fraction of the price of the Spa & incomparable service.

At the complimentary breakfast buffet which was very well spread, the servers were always very helpful. The resident omelet "chef" came out to welcome us back on our first day & personally delivered our made to order eggs to our table daily. All the rest of the staff were always ready to refill our coffee even before we asked for them. Since we were at the hotel all 3 weekends while we were in town, it didn't take long before the staff would call our room in the morning to ask what time we were planning to come down so they could reserve our table for our party of 7. That's what I call service deluxe. We would arrive in the breakfast hall with our preferred drinks & our newspapers ready as well. We tipped generously daily every person who helped us & in return got impeccable service.

The free valet service came in handy when we drove home every night & when my husband didn't feel like fighting Manila's traffic, the staff would get us cabs outside with no problem at all. We also appreciated being allowed to store our luggage when we would leave the hotel for our out of town trips.

Although WI FI was quite costly at about $10 a day plus tax, the technician came in about 15 minutes accompanied by a security officer. They also accomodated our request to set it up in the other side of the room.

My sister made an error when she booked our second stay on line & had 2 King rooms reserved for all 7 of us . Upon speaking with a Senior Hotel officer & explaining our dilemna, I requested if we could get 2 double rooms adjacent to each other. She called back & asked if " WE WOULD MIND GETTING A 2 KING SUITE?" Would we? We thankfully accepted her offer for the same price the 2 rooms would have cost us. The corner room turned out to be a great place for the kids to play in a separate spacious living room with a fridge for all our purchased drinks & snacks. It had 2 rooms with King sized beds & 2 bathrooms, one of which had a deep tub.

We made a visit to the Marketing Director to personally thank her for the numerous accomodations to our requests & we were graciously received. We hope to see you all again !!! Thanks very much for being our home in Manila.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank bmttokyo
Reviewed 21 June 2006

Me, my daughter and niece (both 16yrs) stayed @ Holiday Inn Galleria for a total of 9 days. The hotel rooms are the same size as the rooms in the US. The room we stayed in (#711) could use a new carpet. The Housekeeper " Jasper" did an excellent job on cleaning and organizing the room and bathroom. I needed and outlet adapter, cellphone charger and housekeeping gave it to me in 10 mins. The room rate we got was $76++, (after the ++ and about 5% higher exchange rate) it came out to be around $100. But it was still worth the price. Breakfast buffet was average. The hotel is adjacent to Robinson Galleria Mall (the mall is 5+ stories). Other malls ( Megamall, Podium, Shangri-La Plaza) are all about 15 mins. walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2006
91  Thank smileyleonard
Reviewed 29 May 2006

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank memekiller
Reviewed 23 April 2006

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank M0ss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasig
Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
#5 of 22 in Pasig
Astoria Plaza
Astoria Plaza
#10 of 22 in Pasig

Been to Holiday Inn Manila Galleria? Share your experiences!