“Weekend staycation at Discovery Suites”

Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at Discovery Suites Pasig last August 23-24 to celebrate my daughter's 4th birthday.
As I mentioned in my previous review, Discovery is our favorite place to go if we want to have a staycation in the City.
We requested for a renovated room (Serendipity suite). We requested for a room with a view, unfortunately none was available. But it was not a big deal for us. The room is more modern looking but still captures the homey feeling that has always kept us coming back. Plus points here.
However, our stay this time was less than great comparing to our previous ones. The pool area was not opened on time (8AM), My daughter had to wait 30 minutes outside. For the first time, we had to wait about 15 minutes before we can be seated for breakfast. Also, most of the food, particularly desserts were gone and not refilled. We were lining up for breakfast at around 9:15AM. This may just be due to more people checked in last weekend. That was just my assumption.
Just my suggestions, I do hope that the service level does not decline even if there are more guests than usual. Also, a bidet in the comfort room should be standard.
Overall, We still love staying here and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Request for a room with a view Try the renovated rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel M
Marc D, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear Daniel M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about recent stay at Discovery Suites. We are glad to know that you are a frequent guest and that you consider our hotel as your “favorite place to go” for stay-cations. Which is why we appreciate your constructive comments very much because it is coming from a place of true and genuine concern. We are sorry that we were not able to provide you a room with a view and the delayed seating at Restaurant 5 during breakfast. Indeed, the hotel was full that weekend, otherwise we would have gladly accommodated your request and promptly escorted you to your table. Rest assured that we will have a look at our service standards to minimize any inconvenience to you and all our guests at peak periods. With regards to your other comments, we are happy to inform you that we will be installing bidets in our bathrooms very soon. I’ve already discussed at length your service issues with the concerned department heads and reiterated our guests’ expectations of consistency of service quality and performance.

Again, thank you very much for your concern and continued patronage.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My family stayed here overnight to celebrate my birthday. Thank God I managed to enjoy my stay because of the great company of my hubby & son but the hotel did not stand out to the supposed hotel standards. I was checked in by this man who looks like the manager. He was the only pleasant encounter I remember from our stay. Nothing special about the lobby & the hotel overall. Hotel lobbies should be inviting & giving you that wow hotel factor. Not with this hotel. We got a deluxe room. It was small, old & zero view. Our view was a cement wall, how sad was that? I suddenly miss our house. The only thing I liked about the room was the soft pillows and duvet. But the beddings were outdated. The sofa was old. The throw pillows need to be laundried. There was wifi, well that should be basic. The bathtub was clogged. We reported it during the night and got a commitment that it will be fixed the following morning but it was not fixed. The buffet breakfast food choices were so limited, food taste & presentation were not hotel quality & it tasted like fast food. The furnishings, seats & sofas were so outdated & uninviting. The hotel location is just across a high end small mall (podium) & a long walk to the big mall (sm megamall). Will I come back to this hotel? Sorry but NO.

1  Thank LizaBubu
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear LizaBubu,

Thank you very much for your very constructive review of our hotel. With regards to the state of our rooms, it may interest you to know that the Discovery Suites is currently undergoing a renovation of our guestrooms, In fact, more than half of our inventory already comprise our new Serendipity suites. We are happy to note that a lot of our short and Long Staying Guests have welcomed our new suites for their spaciousness, comfort and contemporary design.

We apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations during your last stay with us. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to change your impressions of our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Leeds Trompetq

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I used to travel to manila as business traveler. I stayed in this hotel for 5-6 times spanning 14 to 30 days. The rooms are clean and staffs are very friendly and helpful. It has quite a big restaurant in 5th floor. But you will get bored after few days because there was not much variety. It also comes with a good gym. I spent some times sweating over there.
The location is very good. Just opposite the Podium Mall and walking distance from SM Mega Mall and Robinsons.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Unisol118,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts about our property in Tripadvisor.

We are so glad that we were able to make a clean and comfortable home for you during your numerous visits to Manila. We welcome your comment about our good location. A lot of our guests agree with you, saying how conveniently close we are to the various shopping and entertainment areas in the area.

Rest assured that your comment about the breakfast cycle in Restaurant 5 has been brought to the attention of the chef and is currently being addressed.

We appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stay at Discovery around 4 times a year and always take comfort I'll be looked after by the exceptional staff. I really feel they know who I am and look forward to my return which goes a long way to an excellent experience. The hotel is very well equipped and presented plus a great location for local business, shops and restaurants. I can't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris M
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Chris M,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Discovery Suites in Tripadvisor.

We are very touched with your post because you cited the staff, and their level of care and hospitality, as one of the primary reasons why you patronize us at least 4 times a year. We have always instilled in our associates the value of “service that’s all heart,” and it is very heart-warming to know that a lot of our Long-Stay guests have felt the genuineness of our people to look after their comfort and welfare. Please allow me to share this post with our staff. I am sure that it will inspire them even more at work.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

One of the pluses is that the location of this Hotel which is right across the Podium Mall and then with a little more walking the MegaMall. Our room was modern and relaxing to behold with the bathtub, abundant pillows and excellent interior design.

Unfortunately, unlike in other hotels, I did not feel like I was an important guest. One reason was the long wait to have breakfast since the place was very full. Which makes one wonder why? I thought it would be the food but it was simply ok and nothing fantastic.

The Reception lacked air conditioning and thus checking in and out was uncomfortable and since there was a long wait, this was almost unbearable.

Attention to details is also important wouldn’t you agree? If my room had 2 beds, shouldn't I also get 2 glasses? And there was this hook behind the bathroom door that turned out to be non-functional as it was not long enough horizontally to hang a towel let alone a hanger.

And lastly, no one helped me with my luggage as I went to the car in front when it came to the time for us to leave. We left and it felt like no one cared. Sad.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Manila Travelman,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of Discovery Suites in Tripadvisor. We appreciate your generous comments about our ideal location, and for citing the convenience of the hotel being just across the street from shopping establishments like The Podium and SM Mega mall. We are also glad that you find our new Serendipity suites relaxing and appreciate its’ modern interior design.

In the same vein, I also appreciate your constructive comments from your recent stay. The month of January is one of the busiest months of Discovery Suites which may have caused the delay you experienced during check-in and during breakfast service. Please know that these instances rarely happen and that we usually make it a point to bring our guests to their rooms, or to their dining tables in no time. The same is true for luggage assistance during check-in and check out. But we do apologize profusely for this. With regards to the other details such as the number of glasses and other fixtures, I will be forwarding your comments to our Housekeeping team so that they may immediately be addressed and rectified.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of your patronage once again. Do let us know if this is possibility. I am quite confident that these inconveniences will not happen again.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Simply a brilliant, extremely well run hotel. Excellent value for money.

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Suberb food, 1st rate facilities.

I can't wait for the new sister hotel to open in September.

• Stayed: August 2014
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Islanddave41,

We appreciate your kind words about Discovery Suites, and for your opinion that we are “best hotel in Manila”.

Your comments about value-for-money, the quality of our food and beverage, our first- rate facilities and the level of care and attention that our associates render to our guests are shared by our loyal customers, some of whom continue to patronize us as Extended Stay Guests for many years.

We expect our sister hotel, Discovery Primea to carry on the tradition of excellent hospitality when they open in Makati City sometime this year. But until then, we hope that you will make us your home the next time you are in Manila.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

These are the five reasons why you would want to check in to Discovery Suites:Value for money! Delicious buffet breakfast! Cozy rooms! Great service! Great location. My family would love to come back to his hotel.

Dear Aplashronaiden,

Thank you for very much for sharing your very generous review in Tripadvisor! We appreciate that you were able to summarize concisely why a lot of our guests continue to patronize Discovery Suites – value for money, the quality of our breakfast, our spacious rooms and our service. On your next visit, we hope that you will be able to stay longer because we would like for you to experience 22 Prime -our steak-specialty restaurant, visit our gym and pool and enjoy Happy Hour with a great view of the city skyline at Serendipity Lounge. These will make wonderful additions to your list of reasons to stay in our hotel.

Again, many thanks for your great view.

Leeds Trompeta

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasig
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
Joy Nostalg Manila Managed by AccorHotels
Ace Hotel & Suites
Ace Hotel & Suites
#5 of 22 in Pasig

Been to Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines? Share your experiences!