“Overall, good value, spacious rooms and friendly, helpful staff”
Review of Astoria Plaza

Astoria Plaza
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Singapore, Singapore
“Overall, good value, spacious rooms and friendly, helpful staff”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Second visit this year and was pleasantly surprised yet again that despite our early arrival, we were checked in within a few minutes. The elevators appear to be moving faster. We stayed at 2804 — clean, spacious and good value. The airconditioner functioned well as did the shower. Although the bathrooms are a bit shabby, they were clean and functioned well. Staff at the desk as well as the restaurant were as pleasant as ever to both my Filipino as well as my foreign friends. They were most agreeable when we ordered from the kiddie menu because we were counting the calories! No complaints about the buffet breakfast or the a la carte menu. We frequently dined at the restaurant and all our a la carte meals were delicious. Free shuttle to the malls was as efficient and friendly as ever — a real plus given the location. The free wifi functioned well although at times slow. But it worked efficiently enough for me to get my work done so no complaints. We asked for a late checkout at 4pm and were charged 1,000 pesos extra which I felt was fair enough. The real boon was the digital weighing machine that was delivered to the room for us to weigh our luggage — so accurate that it saved us the prohibitive cost of excess baggage! Even the airline check-in staff were impressed! Checkout was fast and efficient in contrast to my previous visit. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor — they appear to be far more private and pleasant.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The elevator takes forever. The hotel is not even fully booked.
Rooms are OK. Nothing extra special.
Hotel personnels are friendly. I agree with some reviews that they are more friendly to guests from abroad. I'm not even a local but I noticed that too. I'm part Filipino but I look foreign.
Buffet is OK but needs improvement.
It is not always that someone is available at the door (hotel lobby) to assist you.
Location is very good. Near malls and other establishments.
Beside the hotel is a convenience store that's open 24 hours.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim K
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Negatives First:
1. The bathroom in the room was tiny and the shower had a mind of its own and kept leaping off the holder whilst showering, causing water to go everywhere.
2. Wifi Internet reception in the room was patchy and non-existent in the bedroom.
3. The Elevators are terribly slow and take an age to reach you. Seems to be inadequate provision for a 35 storey hotel.
4. Lack of choice at breakfast, restricted further by the provision of strange Filipino delacacies such as Chicken Gizzards.
5. Pool area was very windy as it is surrounded by high-rise buildings and the wind is tunnelled through the gap.
Positives:
1. The staff were very nice and helpful.
2. The room was spacious (apart from the bathroom), well appointed, clean and the bed was comfortable.
3. Wifi works fine in the lobby.
4. The food (although lacking in choice) is fairly decent.
5. The room decor wasn't the nasty green shown in the website picture.
Overall:
Very average, unlikely to book this hotel when next in Manila.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Andy H
philippines
Reviewed 5 November 2011

My family loved the place the moment we entered our one bedroom suite. Lots of space, dining and living room and a kitchen adjacent. As i requested, there were 2 twin beds in the bedroom.
The living room area has its own tv and so with the bedroom. The bathroom was kinda small though but it was pretty ok. I find the beds too soft though as i prefer a much firmer one. The kitchen has more than enough space, it has a cooking facility, refrigerator, a microwave and coffee/tea heating pot. There were 2 plates and 2 bowls. With complete sets of fork,spoon and knives. There was a pot and a pan. For those who want to cook, don't forget to bring sponges and dish washing soap. Just beware though when cooking, for the kitchen doesn't have a good vent to air out the smoke or smell of food. My kids love their breakfast buffet. It was full of variety. The cab drivers aren't too familiar with the location of the hotel though. It is indeed a 5-10 min walk to Shangri la mall. There's a nice deli beside the hotel. One can buy sausages, wines, cheeses and some marinated steaks to bring to the room and cook it there. I really appreciated the staff when they allowed us to leave our luggage for safe keeping for 3 days since we will be traveling to another place and it didn't allow us to take a much larger luggage. Id be glad to stay there again next time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank asensiblechic
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 4 November 2011

If you happen to have your place of work in Pasig city- Astoria Plaza residential suites would be commended.Spacious rooms with a great view of the city , safety lockers, clothes dryer stand, comfy bed , sumptuous breakfast are some of the the pluses of this hotel. Overall a good place to stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank arao24
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I once again commend the management and staff of Astoria Plaza Hotel for playing an integral role in making my vacation in Manila Philippines my best ever. Astoria plaza is not endowed with the some of the finer aesthetics that adorn the 5 star hotels on the Las Vegas strip such as crystal chandeliers but the customer service is no doubt second to none. It is a 3 star hotel with a 5 star attitude. Nothing makes the Astoria staff happier than to resolve issues and make it a win for the guest. Customer Service representatives look at every call as an opportunity to recover a lost opportunity and ultimately try to make every customer feel that the outcome is always a “win.” I had a slight maintenance issue in my original room and even though the issue was resolved quickly, I was transferred to a better room to ensure that I would not experience the issue again during my stay.
Due to the outstanding customer service I have encountered, I have stayed at Astoria Plaza exclusively since 2008 and I have no reason to stay anywhere else in my future visits to Manila. The Bell staff is very attentive and professional. As the first contact to the hotel, they set a positive first impression followed by the front office staff who manage to conduct business with a smile in the midst of chaos during peak check-in and check-out times. In my opinion it is one of the most stressful positions as they are the front line of customer concerns and we all know that some customers need extra tender loving care. Astoria’s staff by all accounts is very competent and well trained to deal with those customers with professionalism and delicacy as no one else can. I can only dream of having such patience.
The accommodations are very comfortable and spacious. It is perfect for any occasion; rather it is entertaining guests, meeting with constituents, or hosting a dinner. In addition, Astoria’s Housekeeping staff is excellent. They are very thorough and meticulous and take pride in basically making the room inspection ready each day. As for security or the room, in my multiple stays, none of my possessions have mysteriously disappeared. As stated earlier, the housekeeping staff is extremely thorough and meticulous. I threw away a power chord that I didn’t need and they returned it to me to ensure that I meant to dispose of it.
I start each day at Astoria Café where I indulge in the most delicious buffet breakfast that includes eggs made to order. The Café staff is friendly and courteous and anticipates your needs by being very alert. By time you take your last bite someone is there to remove your plate or to refill your coffee or water. While dining in an aesthetically pleasing and picturesque setting you can enjoy soothing background music. Lunch and dinner are equally delicious but dinner adds magnificent live bands for your listening pleasure. The bands take requests and if you have the courage you can even join them and perform.
In conclusion, obviously I have nothing but the utmost praise for the management and staff of Astoria Plaza Hotel and I highly recommend it to everyone and anyone who enjoys being appreciated. At Astoria Plaza all guests are treated like VIP’s. I have stayed there so many times that I feel they are my extended family. If one phrase can sum up this letter, it would be “Astoria Plaza Hotel is my home away from home.”

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Paradice06
manila
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Just checked out after a four-day vacation. Our one-bedroom fully-airconditioned unit is spacious and contains practically everything we needed to live comfortably. The sofa is so soft that my son insisted on sleeping there instead of on the rollaway bed. There’s a 32-inch LCD TV with DVD player in the living room while a smaller version is in the bedroom. There’s a round glass dining table which sits four pax. The kitchen, which is in its own enclosed area, is equipped with a two-burner induction cooker, a nine-cubic inch refrigerator, microwave oven, electric water heater, cooking pots and utensils, microwave-safe plates, cups and saucers, and glasses and cutleries. It also has a dish washing liquid and scrub. I think the only thing missing is a rice cooker. The hotel supplied us with a newspaper and four small bottles of mineral water daily.The bedroom has a queen-sized bed with four comfortable pillows, a safe-deposit box, iron and ironing board, and more than enough shelves and drawers for all our stuff. The bathroom is big that it doesn’t feel cramped even if there are three of us inside. The bathtub is on the left side while the toilet is on the right. In between is a long counter where the sink is situated. It is also handicapped-friendly. There are the basic toiletries – toothbrush/set, soap, shampoo and lotion plus three sets of towels per person (the towels are fluffy and soft), and a hair dryer. The bathroom, however, doesn’t suit the unit’s modern look since it is very unremarkable and maybe more cleaning is needed since I saw a small cockroach by the door and some grime on the toilet bowl.

It was our second stay in Astoria. The first one was about two years ago. Somehow, the units are not uniform in size. The one we occupied then was bigger that the rollaway bed was able to fit inside our room although the bathroom in that unit was smaller. It also has floor to ceiling glass windows which gave us a wonderful view of the nearby cities. Btw, one good improvement is the free wifi connection although it is only available in the living room.

The hotel swimming pool is on the third floor together with the gym and spa so it gets quite cold because of the wind. One nice touch they did is to generate small waves in the pool making one feel like swimming in the sea.

Astoria is very accessible to public transport and is quite near the four malls in Ortigas - Megamall (walking distance), Shangri-la (walking distance), Robinson’s Galleria, and Podium. In fact, the hotel provides free drop-off and pick up at the said shopping centers on designated hours. However, there’s practically nothing of interest in its immediate vicinity. Fortunately, there’s a MiniStop (24-hour convenience store) beside it and a Red Ribbon bakeshop and restaurant across. The hotel’s restaurant is quite expensive and so does Santi’s delicatessen so a cheaper alternative is necessary especially for money-pinching guests like us. Those who love Korean food would find a couple of restaurants around and affordable massage places are just a couple of steps away although the hotel does offer the same service albeit at a premium rate.

Overall, my family likes staying in Astoria coz for them, it simply feels like home.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family