“Very spacious and great view of Ortigas Skyline”
Review of Astoria Plaza

Astoria Plaza
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Manila, Philippines
“Very spacious and great view of Ortigas Skyline”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The difference with this hotel is the space. Most hotels are typical, but this has a separate living room, kitchen, dining area, no wonder many book there for pre-wedding preparations. Mine was just a weekend family bonding for my daughter's birthday, and the Hotel was the perfect venue.
I was able to whip my Spaghetti ala Mama plus some more to complete the mini-party. Not many hotels allow you to cook and celebrate.

The night was superb with fantastic skyline lights as we got a corner room with glass curtain wall from floor to ceiling, what better view to toast a couple of wine bottles to! Zonked enough to sleep without care.

Breakfast had a choice of juices, fresh milk, breads, cereal, main dishes, salads, omelet station, desserts - almost like lunch buffet really but can't have it after 10.

For family bonding this is the winner!

Too bad they will charge corkage for in-room party and extra charge for parking of more than one car.

But on the whole, it's not bad at all

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank deebee k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting a lot from Astoria. Hot shower is not hot. Hallways are creepy. The staff in the gym is not so accomodating. Sink in our room has a really bad odor. Rooms are nice. I loved the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Believe all the bad reviews, this place is disgusting with rude staff members.

The hallways and elevators (if they're even working- my first day, it took 10 min. to get an elevator. ) are dark & dingy with no A/C.

We checked in on Sunday, June 29th, & placed our luggage in our room, since we were leaving directly for a family road trip. Even then I saw how old & dirty the bathrooms were. We were gone for 2 nights so didn't come back 'til the night of Tuesday, July 2nd. Considering how this place has absolutely NO security, I was at least pleased that all our luggage was there. When I say no security, I mean that anyone can walk in off the street (since they don't stop anyone) & get in an elevator to any floor since the elevators don't require key cards.

However, we finally returned & when I went to use the bathroom for the first time w/ my 2 small toddler children, I was aghast at how dirty the place really was. I had to place toilet tissue on the seat & made sure neither of them touched ANYTHING w/ their hands, & even made them wear their slippers the whole time. The floors, walls, & fixtures are all black w/ mold & dirt. Disgusting. My son has allergies too, & I noted that the AC units all looked as if their filters had never been changed (which by the state of the bathrooms, I'm pretty sure is correct), so was circulating cold, dirty air.

Luckily, the kids were exhausted & both fell asleep immediately. The sheets on the beds were worn, but at least looked acceptable.

The next day, we woke up... To ants crawling on the desk & a dead cockroach in the middle of the kitchen. After only 1 night, we were done with this place, though we had originally been booked to stay here 'til July 13th. As my husband searched online for a REAL hotel to move to, I went downstairs to the buffet to grab a plate of food for my 2 kids. And this was the icing on the cake... I was treated extremely rudely by the female manager/host.

I presented my breakfast coupon which was good for 6 people, & said I merely wanted to grab a plate for my family upstairs. Her reply was " So table for 1?" I said no, I just want to bring food up for my family. She then replied that the buffet can only be consumed in the restaurant, & I could order ala carte if I'd like to bring upstairs, or that my family would have to come downstairs. I said I had 2 small tired children & only wanted to get some fruit & bread for them. Then I pointed out that my coupon was good for 6 persons anyway even though we were only a family of 4, & so it should be no big deal, & that by bringing up a plate of food I would actually be consuming way less than if I brought down my family. She was being so unaccommodating that I blurted out exasperatedly "I just want to bring my kids some food so they can eat while I repack our things because we're leaving your dirty hotel!" She finally relented & babbled something about a 15% discount since I'm only 1 person. I said I don't care about the discount since my coupon is good for 6 & I'm leaving anyway. She then lead me to the buffet & held a plate for me. I said thanks, but I can do it myself, it's a buffet. Did she think I was going to take too much food?! On my 1 plate I placed 1 banana, 1 small donut, 1 croissant, & 2 slices melon, & 2 slices of banana bread, barely enough for a family of 4, but just right for my 2 kids. And I felt like I was being treated like a thief!

When I got back upstairs w/ the food, I told my husband we DEFINITELY needed to move because of the poor reception I just got downstairs as well.

So I am now typing this from the comfort & luxury of the Edsa Shangrila only 4 blocks away, which for only an additional $30/night is a way, way, way better value.

DO NOT STAY AT THE ASTORIA PLAZA! Don't be fooled by the great location, website pics, & price. Shop around for a better value.
(p.s. As another reviewer noted, I would've given this place 0 stars if it was possible.)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank Richardson258

Travellers are raving about these Pasig hotels

Antioch, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Only 1 hotel available in Manila for RCI members. I used my points thru RCI and booked June 15-22 @ Astoria. The other families of ours booked June 17-22, June 18-22 & June 18-19 at this hotel. We are all dissatisfied how the hotel runs. There is no free-wifi. There is no free 2 breakfast for 1 b/R. The elevator was very warm and inside no exhaust or a/c. Breakfast is so so.
Inside the rooms, very dirty. The bed linens are itchy. Kitchen does not have enough utensils. Over all, this hotel has bad service especially in the Cafe. We felt been discriminated. If you are direct guest and made direct booking to their hotel, you will be treated well but for RCI members, like us, we are treated poorly. WE WILL NOT COME BACK HERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: No such good rooms. Very dirty and some staff unknowleadgable/unfriendly.
7 Thank Jo S
johnny624, Manager at Astoria Plaza, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
dear jo s,

we have come to learn of the unfortunate situations you encountered while staying at Astoria Plaza. For this, we empathize and humbly apologize for the inconveniences we have caused you and your family.

We seriously discuss, evaluate and analyze our customer's comments and suggestions in our meetings because it is through feedback from our guests that we are able to rectify the issues raised therein. Just so you may know, here are the actions we have taken:

Re: "policies not explained" - the investigation is on-going and those found to have fallen short in the execution of their job shall be given the appropriate sanction based on our Employees Manual.

Re: "WiFi not working" - it so happened that upgrades in providing our guests with better WiFi signal were being done at the time of your stay, thus creating intermittent service. For this, we truly apologize.

Re: "Elevator closed quickly..." - we thank you for informing us about this situation. Our Chief Engineer conducts regular check-ups on our elevators, however, even if "Murphy's Law" takes over, it is still not a valid excuse for such an occurrence. We have already demanded the elevator company to conduct a quality assurance procedure on all units.

Re: "There is no free-breakfast" - RCI's ruling is for all timeshare rooms to have a fully functional kitchen for our timeshare members to cook in. However, as a generous gesture of goodwill by the management, not only to AVLCI members, but to RCI members all over the world, we offer the "Buy One - Take One" promo (or 50% discount).

Re: "Bathroom dirty, looks old, Toilet seat off..." - the issues have been brought to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper. Again, employees found to have committed an error on our standard procedures in the maintenance of the rooms shall be given the commensurate sanction based on our Employees Manual.

Re: Husband was sent out because he was wearing sleeveless shirt.." - The result of our findings showed the following facts:

there is a "Dress Code" notice beside the door of the coffee shop informing everyone of the appropriate attire to be worn when dining therein. If a guest did not or was not able to read the notice, our staff discreetly informs the guest of the dress code required. We do not send out a client. Sleeveless shirts are really not allowed in a lot of restaurants most especially if there is a buffet set-up and diners have to stretch their arms in getting food for themselves thus exposing their armpits on the chaffing dish below. As to your nephew, it is true that he was wearing a sleeveless shirt but had a jacket over it when he entered the coffee shop. If he removed it while eating, it would be permissible since he has already taken food from the buffet. We totally abhor discrimination because we have heard of fellow Filipinos being treated badly because of race, color or status in life and this absolutely unacceptable. Kindly, please give us the name of the staff whom you claim to have “sent out” your husband because extreme sanctions will be imposed on him/her if found guilty.

Re: “website info and other concerns…” - we have noted all your concerns and informed the concerned Department Heads about it.

Please be informed that we have committed ourselves to provide our guests with excellent service & facilities and that management does not tolerate any lapse in its execution. All your issues are being attended to immediately and will be rectified at the fundamental level. Again, we offer no excuses but only our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we have caused you.

Thank you very much.

Arnold Gamboa
Manager, Marketing and Public Relations
AVLCI
Quezon, Philippines
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Checked in with family and our duration of stay June 18-22 was unpleasant! Wifi unable to access, food at cafe was just ordinary, hallways smells cigarette, hallways and elevators no a/c, elevators only 1 working during our stay, elevators closes so quickly and no sensor. Some staff are unknowledgeable The bed are small for queen. The price is not worthy compared to other hotels we've stayed in. These review is my opinion from my experience. I hope Astoria will improve their customer service. I am giving them only one star.

Room Tip: Make sure you read between the lines when checking in to these hotel.
5 Thank Okkalang1986
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Check in using RCI memebership 6/15-6/222,: elevator so slow, lobby and hallways very wrm coz a/c was broken,wifi not available so many times; the rooms smell not pleasant, toilet seat broken, bed are small, some room not completecooking amenities, no doorbell,breakfast not free for RCI guests, that is one free and the other one need to pay for a 1 bedroom , unbelievable. My whole families decided to stay but all NOT SATISFIED with everyhing. Husband was not allowed for breakfast in the dining area because he was wearing sleeveless shirt , he came from gym. But his american nephew was allowed even though he was wearing his sleeveless shirt. What a descriminafion.
The incidental charges was not explained on the hotel website. It was confusing and deceiving. Some family members was unhappy. They booked on line thru hotel website, The are charged too much oppossite to what the website specified. My rating for this hotel is ZERO but no option for 0 rating so I would give 1 only. At Astoria you only pay for the name ofthe hotel....not a worthy stay!

Room Tip: No good rooms...
3 Thank jo s
johnny624, Manager at Astoria Plaza, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear jo s,

We have come to learn of the unfortunate situations you encountered while staying at Astoria Plaza. For this, we empathize and humbly apologize for the inconveniences we have caused you and your family.

There is a "Dress Code" notice beside the door of the coffee shop informing everyone of the appropriate attire to be worn when dining therein. If a guest did not or was not able to read the notice, our staff discreetly informs the guest of the dress code required. We do not send out a client. Sleeveless shirts are really not allowed in a lot of restaurants most especially if there is a buffet set-up and diners have to stretch their arms in getting food for themselves thus exposing their armpits on the chaffing dish below. As to your nephew, it is true that he was wearing a sleeveless shirt but had a jacket over it when he entered the coffee shop. If he removed it while eating, it would be permissible since he has already taken food from the buffet. We totally abhor discrimination because we have heard of fellow Filipinos being treated badly because of race, color or status in life and this absolutely unacceptable. Kindly, please give us the name of the staff whom you claim to have “sent out” your husband because extreme sanctions will be imposed on him/her if found guilty.

Thank you very much.

Arnold Gamboa
Manager, Marketing and Public Relations
AVLCI
Marikina City, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 30 May 2014

while checking in for a convention, my family was given a free upgrade to a bigger room... it was really nice.... the amenities are at par with nearby business hotels.... i did not remember finding any swimming pool though... the staff are friendly and accommodating

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family