“Valentine Dinner”

Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I would like to send you some feedback from the 14 Feb 2014 – Valentines Dinner at the Thunderbird Resort La Union. I did send a email to the Sales Manager A.P. - but never got a response.
For us the Dinner was the highlight of our Celebration of Love weekend and we attended with 4 people (2 couples), having driven up from Urdaneta. The scenery was perfect – ambiance nice and tasteful – the music great – so the first impression was awesome.

so we sit down and from here on few things been not so nice.

First it started with a Waiter trying to sell us a Bottle of wine – we had nothing else on the table – no drink water .. only 1 menu for 4 people ... so we declined and waited for our “included wine”. to our surprise we had to choose between Wine – Coffee or Tea – that’s never happen in my life (working more than 26 years in the industry) as coffee and tea always get served last to finish off the evening ...

When the Waitress came for the Drink Water – I ask if I can change the seafood soup to something else – so she offers me Mushroom soup and I been fine at that time.
when the first food came – we been surprised again as we got served the soup first – so we send it back and ask for the salad to be served first. Honestly – the salad was a disgrace – salad leaves swimming in mayonnaise – with 2 half lost shrimps and few carrot julienne –.. wau – what a downturn that was

after the first course the soup arrive – and a waiter approached me and said – we don’t have Mushroom soup – but they could give me Pumpkin. so I agreed and had to wait for the soup when my table mates already eating the seafood soup. When finally the Pumpkin Soup been served – its was below 1* quality and I did not eat at all.

the Main course was much better – maybe presentation could be a little bit more fancy and all had been good until I try the sauce – a sauce made from powder stock .. for your quality property a downturn again. The meat was cooked nice and been tender – vegetable either to hard or to soft

Last arrived the dessert – the cheesecake – and apart from presentation been good.

After the last course been served and we had eaten – we left and on the way out my partner been asked from the Matre’D if everything was ok – and she explained what we experienced ..
She also told us, the hotel has a Foreigner as Executive Chef – which surprised me complete
Fact: For your Property and the Price P/P 1200 Peso for the dinner – I have expected a quality dinner – what we got is disappointment.
We been in your Hotel before as friends invited us – but next time we thinking hard before we agree do dine again at your restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brocolie29

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Went here sept 2013, there was a typhoon but that didn't prevent us from enjoying this gorgeous hotel. The food was awesome, the room was great. We were treated as VIPs, and even allowed us to watch a movie with projector in their conference room. Overall it was a nice vacation and I'll definitely come back to this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival, my wife and I were treated to refreshing welcome drinks and a cold towel. We were warmly greeted upon arrival and quickly checked into our deluxe room.

The room was exquisite from the ambience to the bed to the bathroom. The bed was king size and very comfortable! The shower was amazing. It has a 9 inch rainshower head and a handheld spray. The staff also left us a fresh fruit basket and a nice bottle Merlot wine to celebrate our wedding.

We held our wedding reception there. The food was good. The service and location was great. It serves as a great backdrop to any kind of catered event. Ms. Mildred was wonderful in helping setup and coordinate our reception.

The breakfast buffet at Olives was great. It has selection of Filipino and International cuisine including an egg / omelet station.

Overall wonderful stay!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank flyhi_nelson
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The GOOD- This was a nice little resort property tucked in a sleeve of land in San, Fernando that I think used to be military installation similar to Clark or Subic. Area is secure as it inside a special economic zone and there were lots of security checkpoints. The view is fantastic from any angle the Greek theme was very obvious.. white weathered stone villa's with blue accent that gives you that authentic Santorini Greece like feel. We were here from Jan 25 - 27, 2014 and the weather was just perfect. If you are into golf you DEFINITELY have to play here. The fairways and greens are so perfect it is like playing in a top notch course in the US, and the pro shop is well stocked and the golf carts are in top condition. Couple of holes were framed against the cliffs (hence the name "The Cliffs")... very dramatic. Lots of stuff to do with the family as they have a small playground and 2 pools (adult and kids - but no jacuzzi like the one in Thunderbird Rizal), a beach volleyball area, and a short walk from the pool area you will find a small beach front which may or may not be to your liking depending if you like your beaches secluded or crowded (this one is secluded and very quiet.. i think we were the only ones swimming on a Sunday morning). Just don't expect Boracay type sand. You can also rent a golf cart for Php 250 for a short guided private tour of the resort. Staff was really polite except for a bald guy near the reception /front desk area who we felt like he didn't like his job at the moment

The BAD - food was not that good considering they advertise this as a 5 star resort. We had a chance to sample the buffet at the Casino and the Olives restaurant. Maybe I'm just used to really good food in international resorts but I was expecting more from a place like this. Lose any high expectations if you are expecting a modern casino experience. This is not like Solaire or Resorts world. Think more of the old Casino Filipino days. The rooms at the villa we rented were very small and me and the wife and I struggled fitting into our "Queen sized" bed, but the villa itself was very nice and had complete provisions. What's the use of providing cooking provisions if we are not allowed to bring stuff to cook inside our villa?

The UGLY - not much to say here really, except it is really expensive and there are lots of road constructions leading to the resort leading to heavy traffic. Give it 6 - 12 months and that should be all cleared up (late 2014 or early 2015 maybe a good time to come back). Took us 6.5 hours from Manila (with 1 hour stop over) taking NLEX/SCTEX/TPLEX all the way to Paniqui, Tarlac. All in all a good place to unwind and have a unique resort experience but it still has ways to go to compare with top notch resorts in Thailand and Malaysia (if that is indeed their target market as a purported 5 star resort)

Room Tip: just ask for the biggest room available
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KarlDionela
Reviewed 26 January 2014

in a month's time, we went back in this resort two times. obviously, we liked it :)
we love the spacious and clean rooms, big beds (even if its just a de luxe room) the accommodating staff, the kiddie pool, the free sweet treats for the kids, view from our own balcony and we (especially our kids) love the jacuzzi in the superior room ;) food is good too.
yes, food & resort is pricey, but its worth it.

Room Tip: the pools are a bit far from the rooms, so request for a room at the 1st or 2nd floor of the hotel...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RicaMae
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have never been to Santorini but the blue-white themed resort together with the alluring bluish seawater - they all made me feel like I went to that mediterranean land... Our summer company outing was held there last April and after a 5-hour drive from Manila, we were pleased to be greeted with hot towels and cooling lemon grass tea. Our rooms were very clean and everything was very luxurious. There was also an electric kettle for hot drinks anytime you wish to drink. Each room has a veranda which could be a very good venue to watch sunset (romantic indeed). The rooms were cleaned everyday. Basic toiletries were also available. The food served at the buffet was great. The staff were also very attentive and of great help. Just a tip: basic Ilocano would be a little advantage for some favor from the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

highly recommended though rooms are pricey but it is complete package staffs are great .. but just beware of the food prices a little bit expensive .. the beach is awesome experience u could see live crabs lurking in the rocks.. pool is great not so much chlorinated but very well clean.. staffs smile all the way of ure stay .. they have a free bike ride that you could use for you too roam around the area

• Stayed: December 2013
Villa Soledad Beach Resort
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
#1 of 9 in San Fernando La Union

Been to Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point? Share your experiences!